College

SplosionDude

Hey, don't post much on here (usually just browse).

So the first proper week of college is almost over and it's horrible. People try and talk to me and I end up looking/sounding like a freak! For instance, I was looking for my tutor room and so was this other girl. She asks me jokingly if I'm lost like her and I just stare at the floor and mumble 'yeah, annoying....'. In lessons the lecturer will ask a question and I'll know the answer, but I just can't speak up. It's like I lose my voice. I wouldn't mind as much if I was actually doing subjects I wanted to do, but the college I go to seems to be obsessed with running less and less AS Levels every year. I'm doing AS business studies, history, law (not very well regarded amongst universities) and citizenship (even less well regarded at universities), but I want to do history, government and politics(college stopped running it), economics(college stopped running it) and computing(college stopped running it). At breaks I just go and hide in the library. I try and tell myself to 'play the hand I'm dealt' and stuff, but it just gets to me when I see people having a laugh with other people and doing courses that they love.

Anybody else having trouble at college/school?

Darker Than Black

ya, me buddy, I'm doing engineering, and u gota work in groups, and when i get into a group setting, I'm can feel myself breathe faster and heart pounding faster, so I ending up stuttering a lot...:(...making a fool of myself, so I tend not to ask questions

Anomaly

We work in groups during chemistry, but it's just one other person, not too bad. Do the lab, make sure you have everything recorded, go home. The rest of my classes don't really have group work.

Rodney

Like you, I also just go to the library on breaks. It really doesn't bother me seeing people walk up to each other and being like "hey wuts up" every second of the day. I'm fine because a lot of other people at uni are just walking by themselves going to class or going to the library to do work so I don't feel "different". The only thing I hate is when I see people I know (that to me is the scariest and most uncomfortable thing), unfortunately this happens a lot because a lot of kids from my highschool go to the uni I go to.

As for group work I've only done it once and I did quite good, I communicated what needed to be done with my partner very well but as soon as the lab was over and she started asking me questions about my schedule and my life I messed my words and left on a very awkward note XD poo! o well :rolls:

And the fact that your college does not have a lot of the courses you want really sucks... is there another college you could go to?

WelshOne

I guess I was lucky. On my first day I managed to fake confidence and put myself with the main group (from my class) at lunch break. Now I'm pretty much accepted as "normal" and I can start to relax more. I've noticed over the last few days that this is resulting in me talking less (because I'm not forcing myself to any more,) but when I do have something to say I'm completely relaxed and it's coming out naturally.

For me I think the key was plonking myself in that group right from the start, because after the first day or two people had established their main friendships and it's harder to meet people after that's happened. Having said that, there are still some people who hang around on their own, and it wouldn't be too hard to approach one of them and just make small talk, if I wasn't happy in the group.

PennyLane

I hate uni...I know one of my tutors thinks im rude because I dont speak...which seems so unfair.

There are always groups, discussions, partner work and a certain percentage of my mark comes from 'class participation' which I feel like is a complete con designed by a bunch of loud mouths so that quiet people even if they're smart can't do well in!

Im surrounded by 1000's of people 3 days a week that I don't know how to speak to....I feel its like making a weight watchers person sit in front of doughnuts everyday

Noca

Banned
I have only 1 friend who talks to me in 1 period a week lol, other than that im a loner who sits alone and no one talks to.

Luke1993

I'm too scared to go into the library and theres always lots of people in there so I just go outside the college and hide somewhere. It's really bringing me down ever since I started two weeks back. Yesterday there was no teacher after 11 o clock so we had to wait till 4. five hours of hiding and thinking about my life....it feels like I'm in prison.....but without the cell! I just can't talk to anyone!

missmary

Well, I'm going back to college soon and already my stomach is churning because I'll have to finally take the classes I've been avoiding, classes where speech and presentations are priority. I tend to look pissed off and it makes others think I'm a snob when I'm actually scared stiff. Anyway, I am going to try to muster it out although I'll be spending most of my time hiding in the darkest corner in the library::eek::