College..Advice? Thoughts?

TreeBones

Ok, it's been a while since I've been on this site so I'm sorry if this is not cohesively written..and I'll try to summarize as much as possible.

I'm 18 and have never been to high school. In September I started to take online classes. My plan was to wait until I turned 18 so that I could get my GED where I am...I just wanted to get by. However an amazing opportunity was presented to me by my teacher. It was a special program at a college for students with low credits, it allows them to earn high school credits and college credits at the same time while being a college student.
I had to do about 3 exams, several different tests, and 2 interviews to apply. This was extremely hard for me to do.. I couldn't keep eye contact and you could obviously see I was nervous as hell. but that's a whole other story entirely.
To my surprise though, I got accepted for the scholarship ..and at first I was excited but that didn't last too long.

There was an orientation last week and just the school itself made me feel out of place, even though it's a technical college, it's gigantic. The main building where I was has big fancy stairways that play music when you walk up them and ... Just a whole bunch of other weird things. It's completely overwhelming. Also on orientation we had to do "icebreakers" and I felt like I was going to have a panic attack talking to other people. I've basically not "talk, talked" to people in years...

Anyway, Monday was my first official day of school of what they call "boot camp" it's basically the final final interview for the program to show that you're committed for the first week. It was kind of a good day I guess... Especially compared to how it could of gone but still hard.
It's hard to not look nervous, its hard to be myself, it's hard to keep eye contact, it's hard not to embarrass myself, it's just hard not to be discouraged and keep positive.. The kids were so nice to be so I should be happy about that but even the most shy kids in the class excel better in socializing than me...

I skipped yesterday and today because I absolutely thought I couldn't keep this up...
I already emailed my teachers saying I can't attend anymore..And they've emailed me back telling me to try and to come to school, and that everyone's wondering where I am..but I'm so embarrassed. On the outside it looks like I was given a great opportunity and just spat in the face of it after the first day...or that I'm some kind of a drama queen or quitter or something.
Im really trying but I know it doesn't look like it to other people.
I kind of feel, like I need to feel related to right now.

I know I have to go back tomorrow but it's just so difficult to do. Besides if I don't I'll be homeless.

Just wanted to share and maybe someone might have some insight for me. Thank you for reading all of this if you did ahaha.

Megaten

Yeah I had a rough time in college too. I felt out of touch with everyone because I started late and was much older, which made socializing even more difficult. I'd be the one person sitting alone while everyone else is talking and laughing. Just remember why you're there. You're there to get an education you need first. You'll pick up better social skills one way or the other the longer you stay in school. It'll just take time. And remember that its ok to be nervous. Everyone is scared of something. Just don't make yourself feel guilty over it or it'll weigh you down.

TreeBones

Yeah I had a rough time in college too. I felt out of touch with everyone because I started late and was much older, which made socializing even more difficult. I'd be the one person sitting alone while everyone else is talking and laughing. Just remember why you're there. You're there to get an education you need first. You'll pick up better social skills one way or the other the longer you stay in school. It'll just take time. And remember that its ok to be nervous. Everyone is scared of something. Just don't make yourself feel guilty over it or it'll weigh you down.

Now that I think of it, I guess I was putting more emphasis on the people then the education.
Thank you so much, it means a lot to hear a similar experience.

dannyboy65

I am going my second year in college. My whole school life I was below average grades and not expected to succeed. When I got to college it was much better. My grades are above average and I've gained new friends. my advice that helped me was to get help.

It's scary but believe me you don't want to fail, it feels amazing to succeed. I joined an autism foundation that helps me with school and my social life so basically I've been doing more then school work and I find that support helps a great deal.

Try and find support of any kind and I think you can make it through you just have to push outside your comfort zone and I know how hard that is but it is worth it.

TreeBones

I am going my second year in college. My whole school life I was below average grades and not expected to succeed. When I got to college it was much better. My grades are above average and I've gained new friends. my advice that helped me was to get help.

It's scary but believe me you don't want to fail, it feels amazing to succeed. I joined an autism foundation that helps me with school and my social life so basically I've been doing more then school work and I find that support helps a great deal.

Try and find support of any kind and I think you can make it through you just have to push outside your comfort zone and I know how hard that is but it is worth it.

^ this sounds great! You should be proud... I personally don't have much support (except for here) but I'm going to try and muster up something from somewhere.
Thank you for sharing.

Megaten

Oh yeah Dannyboy65 makes a good point. I forgot to mention that I did start seeing a counselor/therapist on campus the entire time. Plus they had meditation classes that helped. There were other nervous people in that but they were anxious for various reasons.

dannyboy65

^ this sounds great! You should be proud... I personally don't have much support (except for here) but I'm going to try and muster up something from somewhere.
Thank you for sharing.

I think if you get some help you can make it through. Think positively and push yourself and I think you can succeed :)

ScaredToBreathe

First off, great job taking the initiative to attend school to get the credits you need! I know a lot of people who just dropped out of high school because they don't care about education, but believe me it makes a big difference in your life. You went through all that trouble to get into that college program so don't waste your opportunity. Even though you feel a lot of pressure in a new environment and it can be very difficult to get through, I guarantee if you drop out now you will end up regretting your choice and you may not have that opportunity again. Just stick it out, remember you're there for the education, not socialization. It should be easier as the year progresses, you'll be caught up in school work which should be your main focus. Through your classes you may even get to know some people better and feel more comfortable around them as the year goes on. Or you could join a club at the college so you'd be in a group where you all have some common ground, which makes conversation much easier. If you get through college you will have a sense of achievement and more opportunities available to you, so go for it! Good luck

TreeBones

First off, great job taking the initiative to attend school to get the credits you need! I know a lot of people who just dropped out of high school because they don't care about education, but believe me it makes a big difference in your life. You went through all that trouble to get into that college program so don't waste your opportunity. Even though you feel a lot of pressure in a new environment and it can be very difficult to get through, I guarantee if you drop out now you will end up regretting your choice and you may not have that opportunity again. Just stick it out, remember you're there for the education, not socialization. It should be easier as the year progresses, you'll be caught up in school work which should be your main focus. Through your classes you may even get to know some people better and feel more comfortable around them as the year goes on. Or you could join a club at the college so you'd be in a group where you all have some common ground, which makes conversation much easier. If you get through college you will have a sense of achievement and more opportunities available to you, so go for it! Good luck

Thank you. Today was a real good day and I just kept trying to think of the encouraging feedback. And you're right, I think I would of definitely of regretted not going.

TreeBones

I think if you get some help you can make it through. Think positively and push yourself and I think you can succeed :)

--- Thank you

SoScared

Just go and give it your best. Its an amazing opportunity that your teacher has offered you. She believed in you. Its your turn now.

Ithior

Seems like you're in a good place. Even if it feels overwhelming, if you keep going there you'll get used to it. If I were you I'd try to explore around the place, find quiet places and beautiful places. You'd be getting to know the place better and it would start to feel more familiar. You'd also find some places where you could be in peace if you need it. I don't know how big that college is, but from my experience there are always a few places like that.

Metal_isthe_Answer

And colleges really do want students to succeed, it benefits everybody. The student gets an education, the college gets seen as more successful and having more potential for successful students. It's surprising how many ways a university will help their students if the students takes the time to seek out help.

Ithior

And colleges really do want students to succeed, it benefits everybody. The student gets an education, the college gets seen as more successful and having more potential for successful students. It's surprising how many ways a university will help their students if the students takes the time to seek out help.

Yeah, they might even have a psychologist to help you. I was in a fairly small faculty and I didn't even know there was one until a friend of mine told me she had been going to the psychologist there.
Like you said, the people at your college are nice, so I'm guessing it's a bit like the people at mine. Even if you tell people you're going to the psychologist they won't make fun of you. If there are some people who make fun of you for it, it doesn't matter since you don't want to be friends with them anyway.