Can our anxiety rub off on our animals

truffleshuffle

I know dogs and cats can pick up on emotions we feel but can our anxiety rub off on them? I have a rescue cat that when it was a kitten its mom was killed so I took it in. Its a bit ferrel always has been but I think she has some anxiety issues as well but I would hate to be the reason for the issues.

MNM322

Yes and no. Yes... if you are to the point where your emotions are strong and effect your actions, like, always panicky or "afraid" etc... then yes they can.... but I also say no..in a way... because these can "Sense" then things are not right in people but they dont always mimic it... sometimes, they comfort and try to get you out of it. (i.e. therapy animals)

truffleshuffle

Yes and no. Yes... if you are to the point where your emotions are strong and effect your actions, like, always panicky or "afraid" etc... then yes they can.... but I also say no..in a way... because these can "Sense" then things are not right in people but they dont always mimic it... sometimes, they comfort and try to get you out of it. (i.e. therapy animals)
Well I just notice that sometimes I obsess over things and have noticed she has started to be a little obsessive about stuff too. Sometimes if she sees a fly or cricket or somthing even after the bug is gone she can spend the whole night obsessing and just staring at the area it was at. When I obsess im not that bad I don;t usualy obsess over items but more of my own thoughts about enteractions I have with someone that day. She defenlty would not make a good therapy animal she is down right a mean cat lol. SHe also won;t let you hold her or pick her up either.

truffleshuffle

I do not believe so. Maybe you should have one more cat in the house so she doesn't feel alone?
Don;t think I could handle two cats THis one is a hand full as it is. She probably would not get along with another one either. She is kinda mean.

MNM322

Cats are different than dogs in the sense that they have their own personality. some are stubborn/obsessive and not overly people loving etc..... where as dogs, you can TRAIN and get them used to all these different types of things. They use dogs to pick up on cancer in people and to sense seazuires coming on... they do not use cats from what i know. I am more a expert on dogs

And ferel cats are just hard to "tame" anyway

truffleshuffle

Cats are different than dogs in the sense that they have their own personality. some are stubborn/obsessive and not overly people loving etc..... where as dogs, you can TRAIN and get them used to all these different types of things. They use dogs to pick up on cancer in people and to sense seazuires coming on... they do not use cats from what i know. I am more a expert on dogs

And ferel cats are just hard to "tame" anyway
I know more about dogs my self than cats. Thats why I was wondering. Maybe its not that the cat has anxiety from me but that she was born with it. I know I read somewhere that there is some kind of anxiety cats get that is like ocd that is not treatable.

GhastlyCC

Well,
My dog(Murphy) is the happiest most playfull dog.....but only around me.lol
When he comes in the house he runs past everybody with his head down and goes straight to the door of my room.
Even if they(Family or friends) are calling him/trying to get his attention.

He's always been allowed in the rest of the house.
But he only likes to be in my room or in the backyard.:p

And if I have a friend stay over and they sleep in my room.
He's a nervous wreck.

I'd say he's a bit like me. ::p:

Kat

yeah it makes you wonder. My cat runs away when children come over and I wonder if she has picked that up from observing me because it's something I tend to avoid.

truffleshuffle

yeah it makes you wonder. My cat runs away when children come over and I wonder if she has picked that up from observing me because it's something I tend to avoid.
My cat dose that too but I have 4 nephews and I would run away too lol.

cowboyup

We have 2 dogs (a basset hound and a collie mix) and just tonight my nephew hurt his foot and got really upset - both dogs came up to him as to try to comfort him. No this is not the same as anxiety but when I am having a full blown panic attack, the dogs will sit near me...don't know if it's coincidence or not.

As far as cats go, well, I've had my share in the past and even 2 ferrell cats. The ferrell cats as you know are a bit on the wild side and they were basically, feed me, give me warm place to sleep and leave me alone. The other 2 house cats we had were more affectionate, but less likely to pick up on my anxiety.

Hope that helps.

No, don't worry, it's not your fault. I have a cat that we got as a stray from a metal scrap yard, and she is also extremely anxious.

While cats and dogs can mimic certain behaviours from their owners over time (and vice versa), they're usually quite subtle. Anxiety has a strong influence and would be hard to completely copy since the social anxiety source can't be copied.

Slightly feral cats/dogs are just more likely to become anxious. It's not your fault.

MollyBeGood

awe ::(:I think my dog is possibly bi-polar :(

I am not.

... but he is one minute very happy and the next he might go into the basement and hide. I have started a blog of his life actually! :)

I will try to post his pic though he is the best dog ever :D