Can herbal tea cauae vivid dreams?

FriendlyShadow

For the past month I believe, my sleep cycle has been kinda inconsistent lately. So, I tried drinking herbal tea as an aid to help me fall asleep faster. Well... I don't know if it's the tea, but I've noticed that the first few times I drank it, I was having these extremely grotesque dreams.

WARNING: This is extremely graphic

I had one dream where a blonde haired girl was sitting in a car in the front seat. She drew a long x on her forehead with a marker and then grabbed a gun, pointed it at her forehead and shot herself... and it showed her whole face blown off with gore. I actually did look up what the x on the forehead stand for. I read that it means someone who's an outsider to society.
I'm not sure if it's even related to Charles Manson anf his family. Funny, I never had dreams about actual sucide before.

The other dream I had was me pulling off my LITERALLY pulling off my skin (arms, legs, stomach, ect. There was somebody wearing a mask in my dream threatened me to "take off" my skin... kinda like a scene from SAW. It was a very weird, cold feeling too. I mean it was almost like I was taking off a costume. When I did that, I could see my flesh hanging out, but I wasn't in pain. It just felt... cold and slimy. And then after I did that, the masked man was helping me put my skin back on me again like I was putting my clothes back on, which means my arms would be the sleeve, legs as the pants, ect.

I also had a short dream where me and these other group of people were at a park and we all had tranquilizer like guns. I can't remember it too much, but we were suddenly shooting and hiding from eachother almost like were paintball shooting (except I never got hurt.) I remember shooting someone in the throat with the needle and he ended up choking.

There's also others where I'm throwing plates and bottles at a certain family member and I yell at them.

Is it normal to have so many f^cked up dreams?? I try to stay away from watching horror/violent movies by the way, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Is this a sign of PTSD?

Last edited:

FriendlyShadow

Fun fact I learned too: Vivid dreams usually mean you slept good.🤔 I hear creative people are prone to experience very detailed dreams. Maybe that's why I'm so good at remembering my dreams all the time.

Last edited:

DeadmanWalking

Well, I'm not sure if it does or doesn't. Never had any herbal tea before. I've heard it's supposed to have calming, spiritual effects on you. I guess a scientist would probably say to try drinking it again to see if it has any effects on your dreams again. Though I can't say I'm entirely happy to hear that you had such gory dreams; it's good to hear that you are having deeper, more whole dreams. It's a step forward.

FriendlyShadow

Oddly enough too, I have a lot of dreams about Pokemon... even though I haven't watched the show or played the games anymore for years. Childhood memories probably...

MollyBeGood

Oddly enough too, I have a lot of dreams about Pokemon... even though I haven't watched the show or played the games anymore for years. Childhood memories probably...
That’s great. Dreams are wonderful ways to connect to parts of yourself you forgot. Keep up the better sleep and tea to help. I get super vivid scary dreams a lot but I also have beautiful ones. I think ya gotta take the good with the bad in the dreaming realms. They definitely will stir your creative side, so I welcome all dreams!

MollyBeGood

I just started drinking mugwort tea which is supposed to give you lucid dreams. My effect so far has been it made it almost impossible for me to recollect my dreams on waking. Not an effect I wanted at all actually lol

DeadmanWalking

From what both of you and Molly are saying, it sounds like the herbs are having an effect on your dreams. I wonder if it's the herbs' effects on your mind that causes the different types of dreams. I wonder if, for example, teas that cause you to relax also cause you to have dreams you can't remember. Never really had tea before so I can't say:LOL:. How are your dreams going now, FriendlyShadow?

FriendlyShadow

Well, last night I had a dream where I was on my bed and this overweight guy climbed on top of me and started kissing me as I tried to turn my head away. I'm not gonna go into detail, but I have had quite a few "sexual" dreams lately and one of them felt pretty real. Though, I've never had sex.

DeadmanWalking

Well, last night I had a dream where I was on my bed and this overweight guy climbed on top of me and started kissing me as I tried to turn my head away. I'm not gonna go into detail, but I have had quite a few "sexual" dreams lately and one of them felt pretty real. Though, I've never had sex.
Are you still drinking your tea? There have been people who've thought that dreams are the way for the mind to express suppressed or subconscious thoughts. Maybe, in some way, dreams are able to show us things that we know by instinct. I mean, I know when I was younger and more depressed, I had darker and more unpleasant dreams, compared to now. So, maybe our emotional state when we go to bed has something to do with it.

I'm really sorry, hearing all this about tea and dreams has awakened the scientist within me:oops:. It's very interesting to think and hear about, since I've never experienced any sort of drink affecting my mind before (at least, according to my memory).

FriendlyShadow

Are you still drinking your tea? There have been people who've thought that dreams are the way for the mind to express suppressed or subconscious thoughts. Maybe, in some way, dreams are able to show us things that we know by instinct. I mean, I know when I was younger and more depressed, I had darker and more unpleasant dreams, compared to now. So, maybe our emotional state when we go to bed has something to do with it.

I'm really sorry, hearing all this about tea and dreams has awakened the scientist within me:oops:. It's very interesting to think and hear about, since I've never experienced any sort of drink affecting my mind before (at least, according to my memory).

I haven't been drinking my tea lately... though I have been trying to listen to rain/ambient sounds for insomnia.

It works sometimes. I notice I'll have a little more trouble going back to sleep after I wake up. That's why I thought PTSD could possible be a trigger for those nightmares.

For the most part, many of my dreams have ongoing themes such as running away from home or not being able to turn on a light switch. I'll have lots of dreams about blood too and I haven't been watching horror movies lately... maybe a couple violent/crime ones though.

Here's something interesting too, there have been a couple times where I realized I was dreaming and I suddenly ended up flying once until the dream ended. It was quick.

FriendlyShadow

I'm really sorry, hearing all this about tea and dreams has awakened the scientist within me:oops:. It's very interesting to think and hear about, since I've never experienced any sort of drink affecting my mind before (at least, according to

I also hear that dreams can also represent metaphors we use in real life. Hmm... but then I wonder what the "eye surgery" and being in a dark room is supposed to represent. Nightmares are the scariest things in life because of how real some of them feel. It's like watching a horror movie play out in your head, except it's more disturbing and creepier than an actual horror movie.

DeadmanWalking

I haven't been drinking my tea lately... though I have been trying to listen to rain/ambient sounds for insomnia.

It works sometimes. I notice I'll have a little more trouble going back to sleep after I wake up. That's why I thought PTSD could possible be a trigger for those nightmares.

For the most part, many of my dreams have ongoing themes such as running away from home or not being able to turn on a light switch. I'll have lots of dreams about blood too and I haven't been watching horror movies lately... maybe a couple violent/crime ones though.

Here's something interesting too, there have been a couple times where I realized I was dreaming and I suddenly ended up flying once until the dream ended. It was quick.
It could be a trigger. I wonder if it's also your mental state prior to sleeping that affects your sleep. You said that you've been watching some violent and crime movies, so I wonder if that could be affecting you. I know when I was binge watching some unsolved disappearance/murder cases on YouTube, it made me a lot more paranoid, which also made me have more nightmares, if I'm remembering correctly. I know I had one recurring dream where I was being chased by some sort of clown/demonic figure and I kept dying to it, but, as I kept having the dreams, I'd become less scared of it and even fight back sometimes. You also said that you dislike dreaming, so maybe your subconscious is taking that in and causing you to wake up and stay up more.

I've also had dreams where I ended up flying. They're really weird. It's like, when I wake up, my body feels like it can actually fly in the air. I sometimes wonder if dreams are a lot more than just things we see when we're asleep, like if we're seeing into some sort of secret dimension or reality beyond ours. It could just be my mind making up fantasies, but I don't know.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Now Friendly.. tell me about these sexual dreams you're having.. and in great detail if you don't mind..

It's ok, I'm a doctor.

FriendlyShadow

Have you been able to talk to someone yet?

I'm seeing a therapist at the moment. I'm wondering if hypnotherapy would also benefit me too. I never used to dread sleep until I realized more and more how vivid my dreams were getting. I wish I could control my dreams.

FriendlyShadow

I've also had dreams where I ended up flying. They're really weird. It's like, when I wake up, my body feels like it can actually fly in the air. I sometimes wonder if dreams are a lot more than just things we see when we're asleep, like if we're seeing into some sort of secret dimension or reality beyond ours. It could just be my mind making up fantasies, but I don't know.

There was one dream where I literally told myself I was dreaming and... it was so weird. I suddenly flew off the ground so fast for a few seconds before the dream was over. I wonder if keeping a dream journal can help lessen the intensity of those dreams. I honestly think my depression mixed with my anxiety/racing thoughts is probably one of the major causes from having these dreams. Family stress can add to that.