Black People with Social Phobia

Sacrament

Maybe try not to pull the race card in any circumstance, how about that? No one's being marginalized here at all, and in this thread alone you have at least one black person telling you she suffers no kind of oppression whatsoever (which is true). And even if someone were to make racist remarks, surely they'd be banned for it. People don't need to go to a message board that's specifically for a certain gender, or ethnicity, or religious creed, etc. This social anxiety message board is for absolutely everyone who suffers from anxiety/depression/OCD/etc.

If someone were to create an anxiety message board for white people only, you'd call them racists and you'd question their motives. But if you do it, it's okay? Anxiety is anxiety, whether you're black or you're white. Speak of your struggles freely, and people will hear what you have to say and they'll react accordingly, without judgment based on the color of your skin.

Maybe try not to pull the race card in any circumstance, how about that? No one's being marginalized here at all, and in this thread alone you have at least one black person telling you she suffers no kind of oppression whatsoever (which is true). And even if someone were to make racist remarks, surely they'd be banned for it. People don't need to go to a message board that's specifically for a certain gender, or ethnicity, or religious creed, etc. This social anxiety message board is for absolutely everyone who suffers from anxiety/depression/OCD/etc.

If someone were to create an anxiety message board for white people only, you'd call them racists and you'd question their motives. But if you do it, it's okay? Anxiety is anxiety, whether you're black or you're white. Speak of your struggles freely, and people will hear what you have to say and they'll react accordingly, without judgment based on the color of your skin.

you're the one pulling the victim card acting all offended because I have rightful concerns regarding the lack of intersectionality in mental health spheres. race card is an asinine term privileged people use so that they do not face accountability. you placed yourself within this conversation when it was specifically to recruit those with race as well as social anxiety as barriers in this world. you're not being marginalized here because you're white. don't you dare try and speak for POC people on this site because you're really going to gloss over that guy who was talking about how his concerns regarding the confederate flag were met with insensitivity and backlash.
that person you speak of never said that they were black, they said they're a woman of color, big difference and also just because a POC chooses to deny systems of oppression because it helps them to feel more comfortable in a world where assimilation is forced on marginalized people, that doesn't mean you can shut down all the countless numbers of POCs who complain daily about the racism they face. one marginalized person agreeing with your ****ed up sentiments (which reign supreme due to your privilege) does not shut down countless other valid voices that you choose to ignore and dismiss. racism is not always outright slurs and remarks. many times it is subtle things that we have learned to look over because they seem to pose no threat but they harm POCs because they make them feel left out. many times it is glossing over important subjects or calling for them to be silenced since they don't appeal to the majority. if this board is for everyone who suffers social anxiety, why is it that there is lack of intersectionality and concerns regarding race are seen as breaking away from the more popular discussions. why this sudden backlash when we talk about race with phrases such as "this isn't the place" when numerous off topic discussions get discussed here all the time and they have to do with what appeals to the default in our society.
if a privileged white person who benefits from systemic racism against POCs were to create a message board only for whites, that would be outright racism since they are practicing white supremacy which is already a system within our greater society. when marginalized groups call for safe spaces regarding race coupled with their anxiety, they are seeking to address concerns where they are ignored and wanting to get together to find ways to get their voices heard as well as calling for intersectionality within mainstream mental health discussions. this is not racism to point out a problem that is hurting people. when I speak of my struggles, being a marginalized person in this systemically racist society, it makes sense that I will want to talk about how my anxiety being a black woman will make my experiences harder. I'm asking for empathy regarding this and I would hope to find this here but until then, I am just seeking to create a safe space for black SA sufferers for now until these problems get addressed here.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Excellent idea for a thread, Restless. This is an issue that would be good to explore. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, you've been needlessly hostile about it and have attacked and insulted several people, which is against the rules. As a mod, it's my job to attempt to make this a safe place anyone. I do my best.

Keeping that in mind, I'll be banning you for a little while and I hope you can try to be nicer when you come back.

Meanwhile, I'd like to see where this thread goes. I hope people can remain civil about it.

Last edited:

iheart

Thank you, RestlessFlames, for your invitation. I didn't find anything in it the least bit offensive and certainly nothing that deserved to be shamed and policed. I did find it strange that on a support website about social anxiety, compassion and communication broke down as soon as one very real social pressure in society was mentioned. If a socially anxious homosexual had extended an invitation of support to other socially anxious gays and lesbians, I seriously doubt anyone would have accused them of pulling the gay card. Just more evidence that we all still have a lot of work and healing to do.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I did find it strange that on a support website about social anxiety, compassion and communication broke down as soon as one very real social pressure in society was mentioned.

Actually we can pinpoint where things started to go south right here:

or maybe this site can be more mindful of intersectionality regarding race as well as being more opened to discussions about such without feeling the need to police or silence said discussions in fear it might "disturb the peace" or make more privileged frequenters of this site uncomfortable. if this site is unwilling to do this I'm just trying to recruit other black social phobia sufferers to a safe space that is widely opened to our unique struggles is all.

I've seen this on a lot of forums regarding various subjects. Any time anyone addresses an entire forum as a whole and declares that the people on it have a problem/are ignorant/are flawed in some way, hostility is pretty much inevitable. You could be talking about anything even remotely controversial; it doesn't matter. Honestly you could probably be talking about strawberry cheesecake. It's drawing a line in the sand and setting up "me versus you" while making the first blow. After that she got downright rude with anyone who didn't agree with her.

What bothers me is that the truthful and legitimate things she mentioned tend to get swept aside and ignored when there's a fight going on. White privilege is real. Microaggressions are real, and feel a lot crappier than the term "micro" implies. People who haven't experienced being surrounded by another "race" which has (on the whole) far more power than you do really can't understand what it's like. Also true about the beauty standards and other stuff.

Sacrament

Thing is, even though those microaggressions occur every single day, you'd think the person wouldn't want to further distance their skin color of ethnicity from the rest by trying to recruit people to an all-black message board, but instead they'd do their best to be included in this social anxiety message board that's all inclusive, regardless of sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity, and so on. By trying to get other black/colored/whatever people to join, they're widening the gap even more.

Megaten

Thing is, even though those microaggressions occur every single day, you'd think the person wouldn't want to further distance their skin color of ethnicity from the rest by trying to recruit people to an all-black message board, but instead they'd do their best to be included in this social anxiety message board that's all inclusive, regardless of sexual orientation, gender, ethnicity, and so on. By trying to get other black/colored/whatever people to join, they're widening the gap even more.

I dont think the intent was to ever really bring us all together, but more to offer a place where we wouldnt feel like we are out of place. See an unfortunate side effect of social anxiety is typically feeling rejected by those around you. And minorities in America tend to already feel rejected by society. So thats magnified if you have SA. Its nothing personal and it shouldnt have turned hostile, but thats kinda what happened. Not that Im saying that creating a separate group is a good idea because it will create a larger rift. Just explaining why that would even come up.

Sacrament

But if they feel out of place out there, why would they make themselves become out of place by having their own little corner? Wouldn't SPW be a place where they could fit in without prejudice or rejection of any sort?

Megaten

Eh I wouldnt say this is a judgment free place. Ive seen some really mean things get said here about people who dont have SA. And Christians get dogged out a bit here too since the community is mostly agnostic/atheist. Anyways off topic. Have you ever been in a situation where you're around a lot of people that are a certain way and you're the only unique one? For example, like youre an anime geek surrounded by jocks or youre a much older person in college around youngsters? Even if the majority of people are friendly and inviting, you can still end up feeling alone. And all it takes is for one ahole to put doubt in your head that you can belong there. You'd have to be a confident individual, totally comfortable with being in the minority to work it out. A lot of people are not like that.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member

Not necessarily. There really are problems unique to being an oppressed minority which other people won't be likely to relate to, and there will always be the possibility of ridicule from people who really don't understand. It's also true that these problems are compounded with those of social phobia.

Example: if you get the cold shoulder from people enough times with additional information confirming that it was purely because of your race, it starts to get to you. If you also have social phobia you have to factor in "was it my skin color, or is my evil social phobic brain just messing with me?" Keep in mind that most racism is covert rather than overt these days, and sometimes it can be hard to tell between racism, misunderstanding, someone just being an equal opportunity butthole, and your own head messing with you.

I can understand the concept of a specialized support group for this, and it would have different implications than a support group of say, upper middle classed white people in America who feel marginalized and oppressed by all the blacks and Mexicans in this country.

As to whether a specific support group like that would widen the gap more, I think that would largely depend on the individuals in it. I can say that it's a real test of character not to become a racist when you constantly take crap from an empowered racial majority. It's a test I'm pretty sure most people fail. At the very least it's hard not to end up kind of paranoid that you're being judged by your skin color.

Eh I wouldnt say this is a judgment free place. Ive seen some really mean things get said here about people who dont have SA. And Christians get dogged out a bit here too since the community is mostly agnostic/atheist.

I agree. Sometimes I see threads with assumptions of agnosticism/atheism which don't break the rules (so I don't moderate them), but the overall tone of the forum ends up making Christians feel less at home. Or so I would imagine. It does bother me, but the only other choice would be what I consider going overboard with the suppression of free speech.

Megaten

I agree. Sometimes I see threads with assumptions of agnosticism/atheism which don't break the rules (so I don't moderate them), but the overall tone of the forum ends up making Christians feel less at home. Or so I would imagine. It does bother me, but the only other choice would be what I consider going overboard with the suppression of free speech.

Yeah true, I wouldnt want people to feel like they cant speak their minds. One of the reasons I prefer to talk about that stuff here instead of places like Facebook.

@nathaniel

I wish I could organise words so they make sentences that get across what my head thinks the way you do. I could spend hours and never get the words to do what I want them to do. you're a good worder

I think SA is actually more rare for black people because you guys are so socially intelligent naturally. This shouldn't be an insult if you have it, of course it does happen, but I think that's the reason you don't see more black people with it. If you do a general survey of a high school, it's the white kids who are usually socially awkward. Black people and hispanics I think are brought up much better in regards to being social. White people tend to alienate themselves more, generally speaking of course. What do you think?

nicole1

I think SA is actually more rare for black people because you guys are so socially intelligent naturally. This shouldn't be an insult if you have it, of course it does happen, but I think that's the reason you don't see more black people with it. If you do a general survey of a high school, it's the white kids who are usually socially awkward. Black people and hispanics I think are brought up much better in regards to being social. White people tend to alienate themselves more, generally speaking of course. What do you think?

...I'm sorry but do you understand that this is a stereotype? It further enforces the idea that many black people with SA struggle in silence. You are going off of information that you probably saw on television or from word of mouth. You, Ticklish Fat Man, are closed minded.

"This shouldn't be an insult." When this came to your mind, you should have reevaluated your entire thoughts on this subject and maybe not submitted an answer at all.

Your answer further shows that you have either (1) not met many black people in your life, (2) don't care to knwo anymore, even when presented with evidence that contradicts your initial thinking, (3) don't care about the subject AND don't want to know anymore, (4) don't care about the subject AND only want to make people think you know about, or (5) all of the above?

For your information, black people aren't that foreign. We live in the same country as you do. (In this case, America.) We see a lot of the same things you do, and a lot of the time are excluded because people "can't relate to us." We like some of the same places that you do. And the mysterious foreign beasts known as black people also happen to be just as susceptible to a host of mental disorders just as white people.

As far as being more naturally socially intelligent, you can look around at the political, entertainment, and other professional realms and see who's succeeding and more present. Minorities tend not to be as present, though are capable of succeeding. I just wanted to shut down that socially intelligent remark, because it's completely idiotic.

I believe people experience things at the individual level and I try my damnedest not to just an entire race on subjects like this. If you look close enough, all racial groups are similar in some respects. I'm tired of people thinking just because I'm black this means I should excel at dancing, singing, sports, and all... Hell, I'm not great at any of them.

Just think before you make anymore idiotic, stereotypical assumptions about an entire group made up of diverse people.

Zooman

sorry but "reverse racism" is not a thing and stop trying to make it happen because it's not going to happen. calling out the need for something is not racism. you're just reaching. of course it would be racist for you to say you want to create a group for white SA people because you know what, while you have privilege due to being white, blacks are systemically oppressed because of being black thus struggles will be harder for them. like this is a safe space for people marginalized by their anxiety, someone who is black and has SA will need a safe space that addresses their unique concerns. you cannot be racist towards white people who hold all the systemic power and thus have privilege from this. you need to do some research and understand the history and current context of our society.

Good point on the white privilege/black oppression comparison but that is about as far as i can agree with you. I think sacrament is spot on. I see no reason why you wouldn't feel comfortable posting on here. If someone were to be racist they would be banned and look like an *******. What bothers me is that you are excluding others and isolating yourself when there are other options. It screams racism in my head that you seem so hostile towards people who don't agree with you and that you want to make a type of club that seems solely to exclude and isolate. Fyi, i'm not trying to make anything "happen", i'm just trying to understand your POV and give you some advice.

Last edited:
...I'm sorry but do you understand that this is a stereotype? It further enforces the idea that many black people with SA struggle in silence. You are going off of information that you probably saw on television or from word of mouth. You, Ticklish Fat Man, are closed minded.

"This shouldn't be an insult." When this came to your mind, you should have reevaluated your entire thoughts on this subject and maybe not submitted an answer at all.

Your answer further shows that you have either (1) not met many black people in your life, (2) don't care to knwo anymore, even when presented with evidence that contradicts your initial thinking, (3) don't care about the subject AND don't want to know anymore, (4) don't care about the subject AND only want to make people think you know about, or (5) all of the above?

For your information, black people aren't that foreign. We live in the same country as you do. (In this case, America.) We see a lot of the same things you do, and a lot of the time are excluded because people "can't relate to us." We like some of the same places that you do. And the mysterious foreign beasts known as black people also happen to be just as susceptible to a host of mental disorders just as white people.

As far as being more naturally socially intelligent, you can look around at the political, entertainment, and other professional realms and see who's succeeding and more present. Minorities tend not to be as present, though are capable of succeeding. I just wanted to shut down that socially intelligent remark, because it's completely idiotic.

I believe people experience things at the individual level and I try my damnedest not to just an entire race on subjects like this. If you look close enough, all racial groups are similar in some respects. I'm tired of people thinking just because I'm black this means I should excel at dancing, singing, sports, and all... Hell, I'm not great at any of them.

Just think before you make anymore idiotic, stereotypical assumptions about an entire group made up of diverse people.

Wow sorry for offending you! Truly I didn't mean to. I am generalizing based on what I've grown up with, and I hope my stance doesn't make black people with SA feel more alienated. This is a condition caused by learned behavior that can happen to anyone, I do see your criticism of my comment there. We are all equally susceptible to mental illness. Though I must say, most of your comment confuses me, as I have no idea where the implied racism came across in what I said. I mean, it hurts that you would say "foreign" and "mysterious beasts" from my perspective.

I do stand by my thinking that black people generally have higher social intelligence than other races. I know this is a stereotype, certainly not a negative one. I believe that were all essentially the same as human beings and that any prejudice is a pathology of the mind. Nevertheless, races evolve differently according to their environments and how they adapted. Can you say that black people don't have higher social intelligence than, say, Asians? (who I'd say have a greater work ethic than other races because of their culture)

You may think that saying these things is bigotry of some sort, but I think there's really no need to ignore that there are indeed differences among races, superficially and in a general sense of course. In no way does such an acknowledgment attempt to create barriers or justify discrimination or anything. It is only pointing out that races have different collective memory passed on genetically. Nothing greater should be read into that observation. As humans we have the same DNA, driven by the same desires and ambitions, but racially we have different ancestry and that only means we carry different evolutionary experiences.

Anyway, I say that black people are more socially intelligent because of my experience. Growing up I was painfully shy, I couldn't talk to people. White kids would ignore me and not care if I existed. It was only black kids who would try to ease my obvious discomfort in the classroom, and they were the only ones who befriended me. If my comment sounded at all derogatory, trust me it wasn't, as they were the ones who helped a lonely kid up and probably saved his life.

Such phenomenon happens to this day, as when I'm walking around, 100% of the time it's a black person who asks me "Are you alright man?", because I'm noticeably scared to be in public and always have a depressive look on my face. They pick up on it and want to alleviate some of my pain because they're more able, in my experience, to sense these subtle signals than white people are.

In regards to professional success as an indicator of social intelligence, in this case I would disagree because black people are still heavily marginalized in American society. They have the opportunity to succeed, but nevertheless, with the drug war and systematic oppression, we are far from being over the hump and into a post-racial society.

Please let me know what any of what I said is inflammatory and offensive to you, because I don't think any of it is, or at least not intended as such. If you knew me, you would know I am pretty damn FAR from being a racist lol.

Last edited:

nicole1

Wow sorry for offending you! Truly I didn't mean to. I am generalizing based on what I've grown up with, and I hope my stance doesn't make black people with SA feel more alienated. This is a condition caused by learned behavior that can happen to anyone, I do see your criticism of my comment there. We are all equally susceptible to mental illness. Though I must say, most of your comment confuses me, as I have no idea where the implied racism came across in what I said. I mean, it hurts that you would say "foreign" and "mysterious beasts" from my perspective.

I do stand by my thinking that black people generally have higher social intelligence than other races. I know this is a stereotype, certainly not a negative one. I believe that were all essentially the same as human beings and that any prejudice is a pathology of the mind. Nevertheless, races evolve differently according to their environments and how they adapted. Can you say that black people don't have higher social intelligence than, say, Asians? (who I'd say have a greater work ethic than other races because of their culture)

You may think that saying these things is bigotry of some sort, but I think there's really no need to ignore that there are indeed differences among races, superficially and in a general sense of course. In no way does such an acknowledgment attempt to create barriers or justify discrimination or anything. It is only pointing out that races have different collective memory passed on genetically. Nothing greater should be read into that observation. As humans we have the same DNA, driven by the same desires and ambitions, but racially we have different ancestry and that only means we carry different evolutionary experiences.

Anyway, I say that black people are more socially intelligent because of my experience. Growing up I was painfully shy, I couldn't talk to people. White kids would ignore me and not care if I existed. It was only black kids who would try to ease my obvious discomfort in the classroom, and they were the only ones who befriended me. If my comment sounded at all derogatory, trust me it wasn't, as they were the ones who helped a lonely kid up and probably saved his life.

Such phenomenon happens to this day, as when I'm walking around, 100% of the time it's a black person who asks me "Are you alright man?", because I'm noticeably scared to be in public and always have a depressive look on my face. They pick up on it and want to alleviate some of my pain because they're more able, in my experience, to sense these subtle signals than white people are.

In regards to professional success as an indicator of social intelligence, in this case I would disagree because black people are still heavily marginalized in American society. They have the opportunity to succeed, but nevertheless, with the drug war and systematic oppression, we are far from being over the hump and into a post-racial society.

Please let me know what any of what I said is inflammatory and offensive to you, because I don't think any of it is, or at least not intended as such. If you knew me, you would know I am pretty damn FAR from being a racist lol.

I used those words to emphasize that black people aren't so different from anyone and can experience social and communication difficulties and disorders as well.

If this is your experience, say this is based on your own experience. You used your own experience as a blanket assumption for all black people. And sadly it's a widely held stereotype. One person from this site even said this to me. His exact words were, "How can you have social phobia if you're black?"

It's just frustrating to encounter that line of thinking anywhere.

You were presented with something that contradicts your assumption. You should really consider changing what you assume to be true about all black people. Can you cite a reference that would support your opinion?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Can you say that black people don't have higher social intelligence than, say, Asians? (who I'd say have a greater work ethic than other races because of their culture)

This is the classic argument from ignorance. The burden of proof lies with the claimant (being you in this case). You really would have to cite a lot of research about social intelligence for such claims to have any legitimacy.

Anyway, I say that black people are more socially intelligent because of my experience.

This would be where confirmation bias comes in. It's tricky to avoid, even for scientists.

confirmationbias.png

A "positive" stereotype is still a stereotype and therefore damaging. I think Nicole could have been a little more diplomatic in her response to you, but...yeah, you are stereotyping. :sad:

I'm liking the dialogue though. I think it's productive.