Black People with Social Phobia

Zooman

I don't really think there is that much difference between cultures and races in how evolution brought us up tbh. It usually takes a very long time before evolution does something so drastic. Some sterotypes might be a product of adaption though? I do believe sterotypes sometimes have their merit. Think about it, if a culture desires a certain trait then the people with that trait will have more kids and that trait will become more prevalent in that culture. If an outside culture was compared they probably would be less likely to carry that trait than the other culture. Then again though, you have to remember we are all humans and the earth isn't that much different regarding where you live, so the chance of that same trait not being desired in all other human cultures becomes rare.

Last edited:

nicole1

I'm sorry. I do not intend to sound mean or rude and I do go out of my way not to appear that way. I just wanted to point it out.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm sorry. I do not intend to sound mean or rude and I do go out of my way not to appear that way. I just wanted to point it out.

Yeah, it's just that it's such a highly charged issue that we sort of have to walk on eggshells regards wording things. My fear is that people will start reacting to each other's emotions and the thread will go to crap and then I'd have to lock it or something.

Megaten

I don't really think there is that much difference between cultures and races in how evolution brought us up tbh. It usually takes a very long time before evolution does something so drastic. Some sterotypes might be a product of adaption though? I do believe sterotypes sometimes have their merit. Think about it, if a culture desires a certain trait then the people with that trait will have more kids and that trait will become more prevalent in that culture. If an outside culture was compared they probably would be less likely to carry that trait than the other culture. Then again though, you have to remember we are all humans and the earth isn't that much different regarding where you live, so the chance of that same trait not being desired in all other human cultures becomes rare.

But in regards to being more socially intelligent, you dont know if thats based on his personal experience or actual data collected by professionals. Anyways that very sterotype is why I said a lot of us dont talk about it amongst each other. I dont tell people about my SA unless its an emergency as Im expected to be different. Having expectations lumped on you for anything can be pretty damaging when you fail to live up, and I know white people have a lot of those put on them too. A lot of people just fake it until they make it. And that holds true in regards to reproduction as you've mentioned.

I do think there's merit to saying that races are intrinsically different, though like Nathaniel said, stereotypes can certainly be harmful. It's tricky to find that common ground where we can acknowledge that races aren't truly the same without pigeonholing people apart of that race. Our minds are wired to pick up patterns so that's hard to do. But I don't like thinking in black and white anyway (lol)

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/reprints/1996reviewRushton.pdf

This says that even within 100,000 years when humanity separated from Africa, there are some noticeable differences in how each race evolved. Some of it might be bogus based on current cultural differences, but for what it's worth, it does say that black people have higher rates of extroversion.

Zooman

But in regards to being more socially intelligent, you dont know if thats based on his personal experience or actual data collected by professionals. Anyways that very sterotype is why I said a lot of us dont talk about it amongst each other. I dont tell people about my SA unless its an emergency as Im expected to be different. Having expectations lumped on you for anything can be pretty damaging when you fail to live up, and I know white people have a lot of those put on them too. A lot of people just fake it until they make it. And that holds true in regards to reproduction as you've mentioned.

I can see how it would seem like i was agreeing with the social intelligence stereotype by my comment, but i wasn't. I just wanted to throw out that information so that people don't start to think every stereotype is racist, because i believe stereotypes can sometimes hold merit. Tbh i had never even heard of the stereotype of black people being more outgoing before this thread.

Last edited:

You're right, I see why Nicole got mad and how naturally discomforting talking about this must be, because it has to be extremely difficult having to live up to an image of who others think you ought to be. Unfortunately many of us go through this, but I imagine more so for you. Really though, if anyone says something outrageous like "You shouldn't have SA because you're black" it really isn't worth addressing. There should be no added shame on top of the ones we already suffer from just for being black, and I apologize if my comments came across like there should be.

Yeah I am simply going by personal experience. In my school the white popular kids were extremely standoffish, and some of them bullies. Meanwhile the black popular kids had the kind of charisma where they'd talk to anybody and didn't care what others thought about them.

At the same time, one of my closest friends growing up was black and he was very introverted, and he too had to deal with a stigma of being black and quiet, which shouldn't be viewed as a contradiction. I know I seem to be adding to such a narrow view, but for me such a thing can't be helped. I still believe that races have differences, and I believe that black people have greater social grace than whites in general. Again though, it can't be emphasized enough that none of us should be living from outside expectations, societal or familial or otherwise, as this is what created our anxiety in the first place. We are individuals and must honor our experience. It's easier said, but don't attach any more burden to yourself if others think you shouldn't be quiet. You have to fill your own shoes because you're the only one who can.