Birthday wishes on facebook: worthless

zav943

So after doing nothing 'social' today on my birthday, aside from lunching with my 2 best friends at work, I go home and I see that I got quite a few bday wishes on Facebook, at least 2 of which are from people who somehow ended up on my friends list some time back...but honestly, none of these meant ANYTHING to me. They all felt empty and forced.

The real birthday wishes I got were from 3 friends, who bothered to call me, 2 who texted me, 2 who sent me a private message on facebook, plus my family members.

The phone calls almost had me crying! It really shows you care...

Anyone agree?

Tiercel

I always dread the inevitable "Happy Birthday!"s every October. I'd rather celebrate something that I actually had to accomplish. Although I guess not everyone is born relatively healthy. I think it's more being the center of attention than anything else, really.

Oh, and happy birthday, zav, my dear. In just one day you've aged a year. ;)

:D

Heekaru

Hmm... Atleast they took the time to even do it. :O

So I cant say I agree.. but happy birthday.

I personally feel that it's better than being utterly forgotten and receiving no wishes at all or even acknowledgments from anyone at all..

Heekaru

I personally feel that it's better than being utterly forgotten and receiving no wishes at all or even acknowledgments from anyone at all..

Exactly!

On my 17th birthday, I got no birthday wishes on facebook and it was not a nice feeling.

Insect

For this reason I changed my birthday to something like 25 december. looks like people were substituting calling you to say happy birthday for to say it easily on facebook. some people would send happy birthday to any stranger over facebook. not trying to bring you down or anything you just dont need these lame sites to get good confidence.

Fighter86

I personally try to hide my birthday so people can't wish me (its just a painful reminder that I'm getting yet a year older and am still the same person with the same issues 6 years back), nor can they ask me what I am doing that day because I do nothing really. Thankfully I rarely encounter this question.

Lost Girl

Don't agree at all. I for one would appreciate it if people took the time and internets to say Happy Birthday to me. Even if we didn't particularly know each other very well, it is still a lovely gesture.

exquisite

you are so right!!! i honestly hate that on my bday, people i havent talked to in 5 years are like "omg, happy bday!!!!!"....wth? um, i dont even know you anymore.

Lost Girl

If you don't appreciate getting birthday wishes from certain people then why on Earth are they still on your friends list?

Last edited:

exquisite

its not that i dont appreciate it. its just, it makes no sense. i appreciate it, but i dont necessarily need it. im happy with just a few important people.

DarkPhoenix

I have to say i liked getting happy birthday messages on facebook, even from the ones i dont really talk to. Perhaps some gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

Ignace

Offcourse it's different then from friends or from SMS. But it's something and it's something to appreciate. I do. :)

mrb

i just buy hundreds of birthday cards and put them all in my windows , just to pretend iv got freinds :) ...... joking apart the only birthday card i get is 1 from my gf , and my kids make me some up .... iv got a big family but we dont get on so no one bothers ....thats my brothers and sisters i mean not my kids or gf , my gf lives in ireland im in uk , my kids live 200 miles away from me .... but if your on face book and someone says happy birthday , even if you dont talk to them , at least they bothered ;)... so they must care ......

Meisiemel

I specialize in making "happy birthday" slideshows for facebook friends, although I don't do it for ones I've never interacted with - that would be stupid.And I think it would be a bit creepy if I did it for someone who'd only recently become a fb friend.
There is one fb friend who made a big deal of reminding everyone herself that her birthday was coming up soon, and I made her a nice slideshow. She didn't even bother to watch it. I know because it was on Vimeo and they have a view counter there, like on YouTube, and a week after her birthday it had received 0 views. I was so miffed, I hid her from my newsfeed so I don't have to see her name. She could have at least acknowledged it - after a few days I thought maybe she didn't realize it was made specially for her and thought it was a generic video - so I pointed it out to her in a subtle way, but she still ignored it. I stayed up all night making it and it even had a song with her name. Hmpf! See if I ever wish her happy birthday ever again, lol.

I've just recently joined Facebook, and I find it easier to wish people happy birthday this way. I'm great at remembering birthdays, but horrible about actually calling people or getting cards for them. ::eek::