Bad land lord

Bo592

Do you know of any bad Land lords ? I move in from day one we had a pluming problem that we did not know about because we did not have the water turn on yet. We ask him to come and fix it but he never show up.Then the ceiling come down because of the pluming problems we ask him again if he would come in and fix in he never show up again. For a year now I paid him $ 700.00 a month never miss a payment. This last month we ask him if we could pay $ 350.00 for half the mouth. because we where planning on moving because of the pluming problems and we where all tired of living their. which I thought was reasonable since I never miss a payment for the whole year. Well he told me no and made me gave him the whole $ 700.00 dollars. So I did thanking well at lest now I well have the entire month paid for to find a new home to move to. But just with in a weak from the third of the month he call us and said he going to start showing people the home with us still living there. I feel kind of nervous because I heard things where land lord though out all your stuff I don`t know if that a thing I should be worried about.

Feathers

Ooh, sorry to hear about this - sounds like a tough situation... Don't you have some sort of legal protection where you live? Different laws in different countries... Maybe you could ask around or see online, what the laws are where you live?
I think he can't just throw you out, especially if you have receipts that you paid allright...
Hope all goes well if/when people come around to look...

Hope you will find a better place to live!!

Bo592

Landlords can check are back round is there a way we can check landlords back round before we make agreement with them ? I Thank there should be a website where people can report bad landlords or write reviews about how they are So people who is looking to rent can see if they are fare or not the kind of people they want to do business with so they want get themselves in a big one year mess .

laure15

Landlords can check are back round is there a way we can check landlords back round before we make agreement with them ? I Thank there should be a website where people can report bad landlords or write reviews about how they are So people who is looking to rent can see if they are fare or not the kind of people they want to do business with so they want get themselves in a big one year mess .

Here's a website:
Apartment Ratings

Yup, definitely. My landlord is terrible. When we were first checking out the place it seemed great (if not exactly pretty on the outside), and the landlord seemed like a nice old man.

Over the months we've been here it's become quite obvious that he has no interest in helping us out when we have problems with the house, even though it's his duty as our landlord. The roof is falling apart, there are squirrels and raccoons living in the attic and they've defecated everywhere, there are mice, mold in the walls (which is terrible for our allergies, everyone has been miserable and we wake up with sinus headaches and sneeze constantly), the refrigerator that came with the place barely works and so much of our food has spoiled, and a myriad of other problems I can't even remember.

He's a cheapskate and he won't shell out any money to fix anything. He tells us to go to Craigslist for the fridge, but it isn't our job to get a new fridge - it's his! It came with the place and he needs to replace it. We don't have the means to transport a new fridge anyway! He knows this too. He hasn't done a damn thing about the raccoons or the mold. His apartment downstairs is filthy and it smells like death.

/rant over

haha. Sorry. I can totally relate to the bad land lord thing. Ours is a pathetic excuse for one, and we're all suffering because of him :mad:

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
I've had bad landlords on an off for years. Then I got a place with a housing association and never looked back. Maybe you have charities or church organisations over there that run social housing?

With private landlords I used to do things like withold the rent and do a bunk in the night as they would never pay your deposit back. I've never met a good landlord and have rented over fifteen places over the years.

Last edited:

Nathália

The roof is falling apart, there are squirrels and raccoons living in the attic and they've defecated everywhere, there are mice, mold in the walls (which is terrible for our allergies, everyone has been miserable and we wake up with sinus headaches and sneeze constantly), the refrigerator that came with the place barely works and so much of our food has spoiled, and a myriad of other problems I can't even remember.

He's a cheapskate and he won't shell out any money to fix anything. He tells us to go to Craigslist for the fridge, but it isn't our job to get a new fridge - it's his! It came with the place and he needs to replace it. We don't have the means to transport a new fridge anyway! He knows this too. He hasn't done a damn thing about the raccoons or the mold. His apartment downstairs is filthy and it smells like death.

Have y'all tried to get in touch with his boss or maybe the housing people that he associate himself with?

Sorry, but........ :rolleyes: oh no he didn't just tell you to go to Craigslist to find a refrigerator.

violet77

Unfortunately you don't know how good/bad a landlord is until there are problems. Just move out and put it down to experience. Unscrupulous landlords will only care about you paying the rent. Hit where it hurts them, the wallet. Defer rent payments and leave without telling them.