B.D.D subject (body dysmorphia)

millymoocow

i THINK i have BDD... it all started when i was 8, when i got my acne. so now i feel ugly all of the time. that's probably where the SP came from... :(

ive FINALLY figured it out! (i think). :idea:

p.s. it doesnt help when people say "you're hot... NOT!" all of the time, like they have been the past two days. the shame. :cry:

SocialRetahd

god is very cruel.
"ah ha, I made you a hideous mess that will be shunned by all! and if you try and escape, into the eternal fire you go."

I've suffered more than jesus has. At least he knew where he was going when he died.

gqguru

AquariusOutkast said:
Anyone recommend a good forum for BDD. Most forums I visited, have very little activity.

I'm refeshing the above question b/c I'd lik to know aswell...

SocialRetahd

I know of an active forum, but it's mostly for good looking girls that pretend to have BDD so people can tell them how pretty they are.

I also wanted to mention something about pictures. For some reason, when I take pictures up close, my face looks distorted and nothing like it looks in the mirror. I can't tell if my face is really that ugly or if it's just the camera cause I look normal from 4-5 feet or more.

Siren

Yeah, we need a section for this.

My parents just tell me I'm crazy when I insist that I look different. Thanks mom and dad, that's a huge help.

I never look the same from day to day. I swear my face changes, but no one else sees it. It's horrible because I don't know what I truly look like.
It makes it worse when I see different reactions in people too, depending on how I think I look. One day I'll have a lot of people telling me how pretty I am, and then the next I feel invisible, and no one even looks at me.

SocialRetahd said:
I also wanted to mention something about pictures. For some reason, when I take pictures up close, my face looks distorted and nothing like it looks in the mirror. I can't tell if my face is really that ugly or if it's just the camera cause I look normal from 4-5 feet or more.
I also have the same issue with pictures looking different from what I do see in the mirror.

SocialRetahd said:
I know of an active forum, but it's mostly for good looking girls that pretend to have BDD so people can tell them how pretty they are.
Actually, it's been seen in studies that people with BDD are usually quite attractive.

Raptor

Re: B.D.D subject

I had this issue too for a very long time thinking my face was hard for women to look at. I would not smile or talk to women because I thought they would be repulsed that someone like me would even talk to them. Only recently with a bunch of girls coming up to me and telling me I'm cute have I seen that this may not be true. But no matter what the scar of doubt always pulls at my mind. Again like many others here, its the constant picking on by peers that eventually brings you to believe it. And because of this I didn't think I deserved a good life, which is totally never the case :/ So don't listen to the trash people have to say about you

Scooter

Re: B.D.D subject

god is very cruel.
"ah ha, I made you a hideous mess that will be shunned by all! and if you try and escape, into the eternal fire you go."

I've suffered more than jesus has. At least he knew where he was going when he died.
Holy ****! Are you for real?
I'm so sorry you feel this way...If I ever touched anyone, I'd seriously hug you cos I feel like you need it.

I still struggle with this on a daily basis. I was previously diagnosed with an eating disorder in my teenage years (anorexia and bulimia), but everything is still so disorderly and although I no longer fully starve myself or purge, the remnants of that are still with me. I have severe body image issues, which also exacerbates my social anxiety. Everything is so related.

As a male, I have always been ashamed of this.

Last edited:

dean01

i have bdd, its not a subject i really want to discuss but i know i must. from the age of 16 i thought i had an std, it took me 15 years to go to the doctor, who then informed me it was all in my mind. shudder!
i also convinced myself that i had a skin problem (acne) i was so convinced i actually made the doctor priscribe me pills, although he did say several times there was nothing wrong my skin.
i still dont feel comfortable about my body even though i know its all in my mind.

EscapeArtist

B.D.D is what triggered the avoidance that led to a more avoidant social phobia. I always had social phobia, but it came across more as shyness because I didn't classify it as a phobia and then avoid it. So technically BDD triggered my SA also, sorry to hear you're in such a case

B

Beatrice

I have it. But just about one body part I'm convinced is ugly :/ I hate it. Could be worse, I know, but still..... it's distressing.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

It's part chicken/egg. Avoidance triggers a lot of things and amplifies issues... including BDD. Mines the worst when I ... well am doing less/less out less interactions. Like everything else doesn't zap away.

cappatown

Re: what B.D.D is

Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), a distressing and impairing preoccupation with an imagined or slight defect in appearance, is an "OCD-spectrum disorder" that appears to be relatively common. BDD often goes unrecognized and undiagnosed, however, due to patients' reluctance to divulge their symptoms because of secrecy and shame. Any body part can be the focus of concern (most often, the skin, hair, and nose), and most patients engage in compulsive behaviors, such as mirror checking, camouflaging, excessive grooming, and skin picking. Approximately half are delusional, and a majority experience ideas or delusions of reference. Nearly all patients suffer some impairment in functioning as a result of their symptoms, some to a debilitating degree. Psychiatric hospitalization, suicidal ideation, and suicide attempts are relatively common. While treatment data are preliminary at this time, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) appear to often be effective for BDD, even if symptoms are delusional. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is another promising approach. While much remains to be learned about BDD, it is important that clinicians screen patients for this disorder and accurately diagnose it, as available treatments are very promising for those who suffer from this distressing and sometimes disabling disorder.

Skin picking huh? Yeah I've been doing that for quite some time now... never knew why I did it though. Have scars on my uppers arms from that. Don't do it as much anymore...

Mickery

So looking at the definition on Wikipedia it seems I have this. Kinda knew but didn't know. I'm surprised to find it considered a part of OCD, that never occurred to me and I have no other OCD tendencies that I'm aware of.

From reading about it I do fit the description . I've always hated the way I look. Not sure if that's BDD or just inability to deal with having an ugly appearance. Most days I lean towards the latter. I have other OCD traits though.

Fantasy

Thanks Beat, I love looking at those. It can make certain people look more normal sometimes. A lot of the time they even look better before.