Asperger's will no longer be a clinical term

Pookah

So am just autistic spectrum now? Well that's easier to explain and say than Asperger's I spose.

Remus

Staff member
I don't think it's a good association, everyday people understand aspies now, 'autism' as a term can cover such a wide variety of levels.

My freind has an autistic 5 year old who cannot speak (he only screams) and who is still in nappies for example, there's little hope he will improve. The few people I have met with Aspies appear pretty normal to me compared to that.

coyote

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.

laure15

asperger's is, by definition, a milder form of autism. I don't know why they classfied asperger's as a separate disorder in the first place.

Pookah

Yeah now they have to specify its a high functioning rather than it just being understood to be so. How often do they change the dsm? They changed gender disorder to gender dysphoria to make it sound less stigmatized so seems like they change things to be more sensitive. Not sure what the reason was for the asperger's change.

dottie

Yeah now they have to specify its a high functioning rather than it just being understood to be so. How often do they change the dsm? They changed gender disorder to gender dysphoria to make it sound less stigmatized so seems like they change things to be more sensitive. Not sure what the reason was for the asperger's change.

yeah, it's pretty silly how often they revise it. that's the thing... it's so made-up, largely dependent on what is socially acceptable / politically correct at the time of the revision. really, the book exists to legitimize the drug pushing of the big pharma corporations.

THeCARS1979

thank God cause there s no need for it. It is just another label for social phobia to begin with really

Unspoken

I remember one of my friends in high school attended some special education program where they were teaching the ones who needed guidance to use kitchen appliances alongside the ones who were pretty much just socially inept. I can't offer enough prayers to the future students of special education if Asperger's is no longer distinct; I can only imagine how much worse it's going to get.