Are you too depressed to go to work?

liria

The anxiety of going to work and facing so many people is unbearable!! I just want to stay in my room forever!

3lefts

Agreed... . . . . I'm working full-time and I've never been so committed to something in my life. When I was in public school I'd rarely go and it was horrendously dreaded. Dread being the perfect word. The thing is, it won't last forever, are you working to go somewhere or anything?
If you keep it up and fight through it, you'll be stronger for it ;)
It's just a matter of perseverance. Try to make yourself feel good before you go in, happy music, motivational stuff, you know?

**I have to edit this because I agree with DafT. If it's a job you like it's worth fighting for, if it's one you don't like it's not. I like my job, but I always dread consistent exposure regardless, so that's where I am coming from when I say to persevere.

Last edited:

DafT

I had that extremely frequently at my last job which was for a large company. It actually led me into depression and finding out I had SAD. However, I eventually realised that it was the job's fault so I found another with the help of a friend with a smaller company of individuals who were more similar to me, and in an industry I was more happy working in.

I very seldom get that feeling anymore; my anxiety triggers when I meet new staff or clients, but that's very infrequent, and because it isn't frequent, I can push through it.

If you feel that both your company's environment and the work you do for it are both making you unhappy, maybe look around. It couldn't hurt, and maybe you could find some form of peace like I did.

Ignoring it never works.

Hope that helps.

Izolo

Yes, feeling like that right now,
Sunday night, the week's about to start,
and I'm just feeling somewhat nauseous,
my head hurts,
I want to stay home : (

Rose_Red

Being depressed and anxiety made me not want to go to school.
I now home school myself but my mother wants me to get a job :/
I'm too scared to get a job :(

I had a retail/management job for almost three years and I was nervous going to work almost every frakkin day. I quit that job four months ago and haven't found another. I've had three interviews since for some pretty good jobs and bailed on all of them. It's rough.

WeirdyMcGee

yesss... for sure.

I worked for less than a month once I had become depressed-- then I was fired for upsetting customers. I couldn't keep myself together for an entire shift-- had to work by myself, had to talk with customers and I'd start crying at random and be unable to stop... I've been unemployed for 2 years now and I'm not able to apply for disability OR unemployment/ontario works. So I have zero income and if it weren't for my mom making me stay with her, I would be homeless or dead. I would not have cared which one.

Now, I'm also too terrified of people and having panic attacks if I leave my house... so I don't leave my room.
It's not really any way to live. Feels pretty hopeless.

Richey

this is a normal feeling even for most confident people, i go to lunch with the really successful people in our company and they always talk about how match of a drag work pressure is, it's unhealthy and the environment is built to be unsettling and uneasy because most businesses are about paking profits and its about pleasing customers and then on top of that you feel like you're stuck under big brother and the hawk eye of managers are somehow rating your performance behind your back, so its' pretty awful, of course there are obviously going to be jobs that are more enjoyable for your personality type and interests, unfortunately you never know what a new job will be like so you only find out once you have been given the position and you are a few weeks or months into it.

i have worked in factories, offices, retail, hospitality and they are all usually the same in that after a while it is ground hog day and it feels like you are trapped in a building all day.

i watched a documentary the other day that talked about a world that ran on resources and not a monetary system that is based on profit and corruption, this would mean that the world shares all its resources for each person and our education system isn't based on corporate nonsense, its based on purity and everyone can grow up with a gaurenteed job towards something really important like technology and building a better world to live in.

This would depleat poverty and crime as well because conditioning would not be based on the current system of conditioning people to a world of unkown monopoly, it would mean that people would all have a say in the progression of saving the planet as well as developing technology and products that actually benefit human kind.

At the moment the current system is devised to make the richest people prosper whilst having a major say in how the banks are run and it's all based on profit and corruption of human beings, by this i mean that companies like mcdonalds and coke can continue to market crappy foods, our supermarkets sell mostly processed junk and technology is being dictated by private enterprises and governments are run by people elected who are spokesman and have no real say in how employment and businesses run, the banks rule everything. the world debt from banks is massive because money created doesn't actually exist, so it is turned into debt ..so as you can see the system is flawed.

also the way a lot of companies work is not really to benefit the employees, its more "what can we get out of this person to make more of a profit and should we hire them" ...then you are placed on a probation to see if you meet the standards or not of their vision, so in the end most of the time the current working world is set up to cause a push and pull effect, so that means its difficult for people to feel satisfied in a job that feels really cliched.

If you have a job that feels like you are serving some greater service that isn't just profit and marketing and is actually helping to serve the world in a positive way then that would help to motivate.

also certain jobs will suit you more than others, but sometimes it can take 5-6 jobs before you hit the target that suits you.

again this is normal to wake in the morning not wanting to go in, i often go to work and i am really grumpy that i have to conform to this because the days are long and there is the constant crap you deal with from co workers and managers, i always walk out of work thinking "why i am putting up with this, i need the courage to chase my dreams now" ...

i have even complained in front of managers is it "home time yet"? the other day i walked in and after an hour i jokingly said "right it's that time already, see you all tommorrow" ...oh it's only 10:00am ...

Richey

I went through a bad period of depression coupled with my previous job for a year and a half. I quit there 6 months ago and have been at a more toloerable job since. I worked in an office and couldn't stand the job and my boss. I could barely function at that job, only working a 1/3rd of full, and at the end started to take FMLA leave (only 2 weeks).

in my experience that is normal for an office job because there is too many distractions going on around you to be fully functional and then there is the work pressure to have all this work done in a particular time, again not easy even for the more seasoned even if you are a hard worker, if you have your own private office then different story but open office is just the worst.

DespairSoul

Ya, well my nightmare. I was bearing badly go any job what i try it. I always end very depressed, pooping out yet more suicidal thoughts, and stop going out totally again after my break downs, co-workers is my nightmare and join to any job which i will must go day after day.

I'm in similar situation as weirdymcgee if i wouldn't have mom i would be living on the street:/ 0 income.

Rembrandt Broam

I just find the pointless repetitive monotony depressing. Get up, go to the same place, associate with the same people, do the same things, talk about the same things, go home, go to bed. Repeat the next day. And the next. And the next......

It just makes me wonder what is the point? Is this my life now? ::(:

da_illest101

I'm working in a call center for 4 and a half year so I know that feeling. I'm gonna quit this week though since I got another job which has little human interaction. Working with customers or people is just tiresome and I'm gonna do my best to be working at home in the upcoming years

da_illest101

I just find the pointless repetitive monotony depressing. Get up, go to the same place, associate with the same people, do the same things, talk about the same things, go home, go to bed. Repeat the next day. And the next. And the next......

It just makes me wonder what is the point? Is this my life now? ::(:

I completely agree with you, plus we are helping those people getting rich while we just make enough to survive. No wonder people get depressed all the time