Are you comfortable driving?

First post!

And my answer: HELL NO. I never particularly liked the idea of driving even after I got my license. Then within two years I completely totaled two cars on the expressway. I'm not sure how I survived the second wreck because I crashed into the median going 78 and rolled about four times and my left arm went out the open window and was pinned underneath the car. Needless to say I sustained severe nerve and muscle damage, but luckily my parents had great insurance so I wasn't stuck with expensive hospital bills. I am stuck with the damage and a skin graft in the shape of Africa for life, though.

And yet...I still drive. I'm pretty sure I'll die from a heart attack sooner than a car wreck at this point.

GhoulsNightOut

I love driving. It gives me a sense of control and freedom unlike anything else.

Give me an old rusty volvo and a narrow scandinavian forest-road filled with gravel and neurotic deer and I'll have a blast (and a tow-truck on the way probably).

Damn me too i hate traffic, but rolling down an empty highway in the middle of mother nature, is a complete blast for me.

Sounds perfect!

Livemylife

Overall, I'm comfortable driving, but certain situations, like sitting at stop-lights can be challenging. Gas stations can be another challenge, but most of the time I pay with a card anyway, so there's not much interaction there.

I didn't get my license until I was almost 20, and even then only because my grandmother drove me to the DMV and basically told me I wasn't going home until I went inside and took the test. I'm sooooooo glad that she did, because driving is the most liberating thing in the world to me. Even now, after seventeen years of being behind the wheel, I get a little thrill every time I start the engine.

I only drove late at night for years, essentially when no one else was out, but gradually I started driving during the day, and now 90% of the time I feel fine driving.

I couldn't imagine riding a bus, like you do. Once, ten years ago, I had to get on one and I went straight out the back door, leaving my family to take the ride without me. :/ It's funny now, but being confined like that with nowhere to go was overwhelming.

So, anywhooo... I recommend you give driving a shot, because I know what a great thing it's been for me.
Yeah I'm worried about stoplights and bored people looking into my car.

The funny thing is I don't naturally feel trapped with people on the bus. My mind is like "I'm back here. They're up there" so it doesn't really bother me. What makes me want to rip my hair out is when they start the staring. This month I've gotten off the bus and waited for the next one due to someone making me feel uncomfortable.

I'm 26 and still don't know how to drive. I never cared to learn until a couple years ago because I just never went anywhere and always had a ride if I did need to go somewhere. I started wanting to be more independent though and took a driving class and that went horrible. I have way too many fears and just don't feel like I'll ever be able to drive. Also LA is just a horrible place to learn how to drive, at least for someone like me.
I use the bus to get around now. I used to have a fear of buses too. Buses still make me very uncomfortable but I think my fears associated with driving are worse.
I have a feeling the older one gets, the harder it will be to start driving.

Driving causes me some anxiety still, and sometimes none at all.

Compared to when I first started, I was terrified. Now I only get a little nervous when I'm somewhere new.

Don't be worried about getting petrol. I used to be so shy I had to get someone else to do it..... but after HAVING to do it myself, I realised... the guy at the counter doesn't care, he's half dead and so are the other people in the cars behind.

Everybody when out in the public are going somewhere, they don't have time to stop and evaluate every person they pass by. I just came back from the supermarket and I can't remember one person I walked past, or who was beside me in the line.
Sure they may not care, I still want them to stop staring at me.

planetweirdo

I do experience some fear and anxiety when driving. My main fear is accidents. I just hope to dear God that I don't accidentally injure anybody or myself. After all, driving is a privilege, not a right so it could be taken away from me if I mess up. Anxiety occurs when I feel a lot of pressure to speed up, especially when there's a car tailgating my car and seeming impatient that I'm driving a bit slow. Speeders and daredevils give me anxiety. Also, sitting in the intersection where everybody could see each others' faces is sometimes a bit intidimating.

This is why I'm to scared to drive. I fear that I may have a panic attack behind the wheel and end up in a wreck.

Phoenixx

After having my license for a little over a year now, I'm finally becoming more comfortable with driving. It still gives me some anxiety, especially when I'm driving on the highway or places with a lot of traffic, but I'm better than I used to be. It's true, the more you do it and get into the groove of things, the easier it gets.

Anxy

Driving is fine as long as I don't sit next to someone who doesn't seem pleasant to me at all (which happens really rarely).