Anyone worried about nuclear war?

Mack_Berserk

No, no, and no again. The Cold War is over but it still seems like our governments need a boogey-man, or a scary, invisible threat.

No current government will use nuclear weapons against someone else (Iran & North Korea are too fixed on holding onto power over their own people) and a terrorist network would not have the capability to set one off. I have enough faith in the security services to pick up on something that big and stop it.

The biggest threat to people these days is random terror attacks, relatively small but deadly attacks. And disease/infection.

You're absolutely right. Although, honestly, I would not mind going out that way. But then again, I would hate to have everyone around me (in this city) go as well.

NickyNacker

Not anymore I don't, but when I was young I had really obsessive fears about it. This will sound funny, but it all started when I watched Terminator with my dad when I was real little. There's a scene where a nuclear bomb goes off or something and everyone just burns and it was terrifying. That wasn't the only thing though, I read some book about World War II describing all the bombs in japan and everything, and the destruction. I got over it after a while though, and then after 9/11 I had obsessive fears of terrorist attacks happening again and my city being bombed. :(

TimArends

Understand: everyone is afraid of nuclear war! Whether they admit it or not, they are. This is why this country supports the United Nations so much, even though they often act against our best interests, because we are afraid of nuclear war. I personally don't think that actual nuclear war is so much a danger as it used to be, because we are developing the technology to shoot down incoming missiles. However, even one nuclear explosion would be a horrible tragedy.

I have an old self-help magazine in my possession from the 1950s with an article headlined, "are you a nuclear neurotic?" People have been worrying about it for a long time. So reassure yourself that you are not the only one who feels this way. Perhaps the universal fear of this will keep it from ever happening.

Felgen

I don't fear nuclear war. The only sociopatch that has nuclear warheads at his disposal is Kim Jong-il, but I don't think he's stupid enough to actually launch an attack against the west or South Korea.

Felgen

The climate change only worries me wether or not im going to have a sandy beach at my future house.

Why do politicians think that climate change (which isn't man-made) is the biggest environmental problem? I find it much more disturbing that plutonium is dumped in the nature or that coal plants alone accounts for 35% of all the mercury in the atmosphere.

sabbath

Banned
Reflex in the sky warn you you're gonna die
Storm coming, you'd better hide from the atomic tide
Flashes in the sky turns houses into sties
Turns people into clay, radiation minds decay

Robot minds of robot slaves lead them to atomic rage
plastic flowers, melting sun, fading moon falls upon
dying world of radiation, victims of mad frustration
Burning globe of oxy'n fire, like electric funeral pyre

Buildings crashing down to a cracking ground
Rivers turn to wood, ice melting to flood
Earth lies in death bed, clouds cry water dead
Tearing life away, here's the burning pay

Electric Funeral
Electric Funeral
Electric Funeral
Electric Funeral

And so in the sky shines the electric eye
supernatural king takes earth under his wing
Heaven's golden chorus sings, Hell's angels flap their wings
Evil souls fall to Hell, ever trapped in burning cells!

funnybunny

I used to worry about this to the extreme when I was younger. We watched the film "The Day After" at school and I had nightmares for ages afterwards. My mum was really p*ssed off at the school.

I dont worry about it as much now but it does concern me when I see things on the news about countries such as North Korea or Iran spparently taking steps to nuclear armourment.

Jake123

Banned
There's a tiny evil part of me that wants catastrophes to happen (e.g. meteor strike, zombie outbreak, global floods, etc.) because it would be exciting and a change to the day to day dullness of the world :( That tiny part of me is subconsciously awaiting 2012 for the apocalypse. lol

Just a tiny part, though.

mitchellb999

As long as nuclear weapons exist nuclear war is inevitable. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but when it will happen.

fife_girl

I've never seen that but I have heard of it and am interested in seeing it.

One film of a similar ilk worth watching is Threads - Nuclear War, 1984

I have both these films, loved both.
I'm not worried about nuclear war, if it happens it happens. we'll all be dead one day. I do worry about dying in pain tho :( that worries me alot!

I can't wait for the film 2012 to come out! :)

stand_up

I'd start worrying when those terrorists start picking on the Chinese or the North Koreans instead of westerners.... They have more guts to push the button.

Cynic

I watched Terminator with my dad when I was real little. There's a scene where a nuclear bomb goes off or something and everyone just burns and it was terrifying.
IIRC that was Terminator 2.

I'm no longer afraid of nuclear war, though I hope I do get wiped out quickly should it ever happen. I wouldn't like to survive a nuclear attack though.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Not now, but when I was younger I was horribly scared that everything would blow up. I got that fear after watching a movie, I don't remember which...

Interzone

I've thought about a nuclear apocalypse (I'm sure most have), I do know it's a highly unlikely scenario in this day and age. Rather it might be a more isolated incident like a terrorist attack involving a nuke.