Anyone with learning disabilites along with SA

truffleshuffle

Well I don't like talking about this part of my life at all and I do know that some of my anxiety stems from it. but this is a place to get things off your chest and I was wondering who else my have the same problmes I do. On top of my SA I have a Learning disability. I have dyslexia, dyscalculia , and
dysgraphia. Mostly is just means that It takes me longer to understand something than most people.

I have known about this since I started kindagarden and I know that some of my SA stems from this becasue I found out alot of people treated me diffrent when they found out. Some treated me the same as they are which became my friends and some treated me like I was as dumb as a box of rocks.

I desided to share this here becasue of something that happend resently. I was looking for a part time job and I went to a temp place around here I wanted to be upfront so I told them I had a learning disability. With out even knowing what kind the first words out of her mouth were you have a drivers licence, she didn;t say it like asking if I had one she said it in shock that I had one like as if people like me shoulden;t even be let out of the house. I know there are peole out there like that but it just pisses me off to no end when I run into them. Its one of the reasons I don;t share it with alot of people becasue like I told her before I just got up and left that I may be a little slow on somethings but I am not stupid. It just makes me feel so incompatant sometimes.

Dyslexia= trouble with reading
Dyscalculia= trouble with math
dysgrahia= trouble with writing.

Last edited:

MNM322

I am dyslexic too. It suks. I wish I had known in school, I learned as an adult. I would of loved extra help instead of always feeling stupid

Its interesting when you look at dyslexica as a whole, how much more beyond reading it really effects. It explains my issues with maps and why I panic when I dont know where I am going etc...

truffleshuffle

I am dyslexic too. It suks. I wish I had known in school, I learned as an adult. I would of loved extra help instead of always feeling stupid

Its interesting when you look at dyslexica as a whole, how much more beyond reading it really effects. It explains my issues with maps and why I panic when I dont know where I am going etc...

Yes its more than just getting letters and numbers turned around I can;t stand going places I don't know where its at. I never leave my gps at home. But even if you knew about it in school dosen;t mean you would have had more help. I had plenty of teachers that didn;t care to help or they just didn;t have the ability. I felt stupid alot in school.

Last edited:

dead24

Yes absolutely I am a stupid slow learner. It takes me much longer time to comprehend and analyze stuff at school. Im always behind my classmates. Im glad im done with school.

truffleshuffle

Yes absolutely I am a stupid slow learner. It takes me much longer time to comprehend and analyze stuff at school. Im always behind my classmates. Im glad im done with school.
I am to but I wish I had gone to college though. I know that it would have been double hard for me and I may not have been able to finish but atleast I would not have regretted no trying. I aslo didn;t have the money.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I don't have a learning disability, but I do have Asperger's Syndrome. I do have a very hard time concentrating in school and making sense of things though, so that makes classes difficult.

jaim38

I think I have asperger's, though I've never been diagnosed. I am not as emotionally intelligent as other people and I suck at reading body language and people's feelings. I've been called "slow" and "stupid" by people who think they're smarter and better than me. People avoid me like the plague.

truffleshuffle

my problme is not with having the disabilitys i have lived with it and gotten along pretty good in my life. Its how people react when they find out. I have had people in my family that know about it and know im a little insecure with it that like to use that to get at me. Some of my turst issues come from them.

Hi truffle, sorry to hear that lady got under your skin like that. She was out of line but it's possible that she was trying to make a joke out of the situation so it's not so awkward for her or you. Of course sometimes it's hard to tell when someone is joking or serious if you're not good with social cues, which I am not so that causes a lot of misunderstandings and unnecessary frustrations. If she said it with a straight face then she probably wasn't joking. I can't see how someone can be that ignorant and assume just because you have a learning disability that you can't operate a motor vehicle, that's just foolish. Anyways don't let people like that affect you, just laugh it off or shrug it off and show them what you CAN do :)

I definitely understand where you're coming from. I have been a bit slow my whole life. I am just a slow thinker so it takes me a minute to grasp the concept of things. I grasp it better on my own when I can explain it to myself instead of someone else explaining it to me (deer in headlights) On top of that I am terrible at snappy comebacks because of my slow thinking so people assume I am slow and don't get their jokes. If I was a faster thinker I probably would have had something to say for that ladies insult, like "I'm still wondering how you got this job myself" lol. Of course I wouldn't think of that until hours later after the time has passed..sigh I left college because I was just frustrated everyday in class, struggling to keep up, I thought to hell with this. I have thought for some time that I have either ADD or Aspergers or a combination of both. I'll be discussing this with my counselor soon because I can't help but think there is a legit reason for why I have struggled so hard my whole life and I am 29, will be 30 this year. I've struggled for 29 years without knowing why, that is tough to deal with when I think about it.

Last edited:

Lou-s-Darkness

I'm pretty slow as well in terms of comprehension in general. I just don't understand things or process information as quickly as others do....also, I find it extremely hard to focus in class....I thought I had ADHD or something, but then realized I'm no where near as energetic as some with it are. Probably have ADD or something...it makes sense I think. My parents didn't know what to do or what to make of my problem, so here I am to this very day with this disability trying to get by during lectures and class work.

Bronson99

I definitely have social anxiety and I definitely have ADD. I am diagnosed with both. However Asperger's explains things pretty well too, but if I have that it is a mild case.

Right now one of my biggest issues is my poor ability to focus. I'm seriously thinking of trying a new medication to help with this.

MFDunn

Yes. Its not as bad now as it was when I was much younger and i'm 23 now.
(I also have bdd, social anxiety, general anxiety, and depression)

When I was 3 years old I suffered a very minor tbi (traumatic brain injury) in a car accident. My mom was driving, my sister was riding shotgun, and I was in the back right side passenger seat. We were driving along this road during winter at a 4 way stop when a driver who was reading the newspaper while he was driving struck our car. The car spun and my side of the car hit a stop sign, which left a giant dent into the car and caused some metal next to the window to bend out of place and the jagged edge of the metal hit the side of my skull. I was knocked out instantly and woke up a few hours later in a hospital bed surrounded by stuffed animals. My mom had a broken collarbone and a few broken ribs, but the motherly insticnt allowed her to somehow yank the crushed in door open and pull me out of the car. I was bleeding profusely, she later told me. She wrapped me up in her coat to stop the bleeding until the ambulance came...luckily they are based just down the road. But, I was also told that if I hadnt been shivering, based on the angles of the dents and impact, (according to one of the investigators) I wouldve lost my right arm (thank god it was freezing that day). We ended up suing the other driver.

The doctors said that I may never be a normal child, that I may never play sports, never graduate high school or college, and may never be a productive member of society.
I underwent testing growing up to make sure I was ok, and entering kindergarten I took a test with the school psychologist on world knowledge and scored in the 4th grade level...so i'm pretty smart.
But I have trouble staying organized with things, I have trouble learning some new things at times (it might take me slighly longer than most...depending on thr subject...especially math related) and I have to work harder than others to do so at times.

I'm now a business student at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, NY. I played almost every sport growing up as a kid. I was a great football player, I now am a starter on my college rugby team, I graduated from high school, and I have a job. So take that doctors.

I am extremely blessed given the circumstances and nature of my injury to be where i'm at now but I would be lying if I told you that I didnt have to work hard at it to get better. And I dont intend to belittle anyone else with a more serious condition with my post.

There is always hope for everyone.

Last edited: