Anyone Wanna Swap Lyrics/Poetry?

Xervello

I'm new here, looked around the forum and it seemed like there wasn't any section other than this for it. I'm a huge poetry nut. So I wondered if anyone was interested in exhanging poems - you send me yours, I send you mine, we each comment on 'em, etc - or we can talk about the art generally, fave poets and the like. Same goes for lyrics. Speaking of, anyone read/hear Fiona Apple's latest? Devestating stuff. Tragically beautiful. As is she. :D

Deus_Ex_Lemur

YES! I made my own thread with some poetry I've written it's hard to have anyone respond or read poetry and I hate "bumping" or asking. :)

Xervello

By the way, for those of you reading this thread who read/write poetry but don't want to pm or swap for whatever reason, feel free to post your stuff here. We'll still offer up our comments and the like. :cool:

Xervello

Seeing as how it might be awkward to just randomly post your poetry in someone else's thread I figured I'd be the first. A few things to note: I write fixed verse poetry mostly. What is that? Those are poems that have strict rules as far as rhyme schemes, word placement, meter (syllable stress) and various other guidelines. The one below is in French ballade form (wikipedia it) and it's written about my social anxiety disorder. Does anyone else see themself in this? Enjoy. And please post your own. :D

JE DISPARAIS

I drive an appetite that never tires;
A gaping heart engulfing all it seeks.
I own a will that constantly misfires;
A mind subverted by its own critiques.
I navigate the valleys and the peaks
Of life's complex terrain with clumsy cheer.
Not prone to many extroverted streaks
I am the man that likes to disappear.

The common coquetry that love requires
Imbues no flush of passion on my cheeks.
I need a discharge from the jolted wires
Of hunger or a sparkle from mystique's.
Cosmetic valentines are dull antiques
Compared to appetence which has no peer.
I know the damage disappointment wreaks;

In solitude the social self expires,
And something in that swathe of silence tweaks
My maddened matrix with judicious pliers
To harmonize the inner strife that shrieks.
As loneliness begins its pangs and creaks
Against the bars that keeps its cravings near,
Denial is the only guard that speaks.

Sporadically a rare disclosure sneaks
Around this skilled, theatrical veneer.
The man I am appears in tiny peeks;

dyingtolive

this is a song i wrote 8 years ago, i just found it again after a long time. my other poems are all lost to broken hard drives

''Fish out of water''

Squirming around
gasping for air
nowhere to turn
to the sea he looks on

a man with gills
the ocean is his home
but a pebble turned to a stone
and he was shun away

shun away, he squirms around
like a fish without water
and he bangs his head
to the sound of miniature guitars
nowhere to be found
complacence in the crowds

of passers by.. looking on..
the streets was his home
like a king without throne
but will the sea be his confide

can he survive?
will he realize
he is a fish

NFI1228.jpg

Last edited:

mikebird

Banned
tip of iceburg

There's not enough space to live in that broom cupboard
weather spoon
Riddance
Out there, there are infinite possibilities
Sugarpuss
RailAir?
The floor's too far away
Vodavox
Knucklestone
hornby
nimoy

She doesn't like the rainButt loves to complainNerves of steel; wit is hardDidn't know I am a bardThe girl is impulsiveMemory like a sieveDrags me thru the mud...in my der... reamsold-fashioned, andwhen it's Ramadanit's like World War II rationMaster Commanderwrites the rulebook ; oit's fun. Shirts with an iron fistIntolerable meditrreanean crueltycelebrity like Maggie Thatcher- a conservative handLuv her to bits - especially those titsand those underarm razorbladesHonour & Obey - Punishment Oh!Good boyWooooof! Judgement! Tolerance level is 0The kangaroo court of Chan wound me up, with person filter set to: harshSquash court metaphor - too intense :eek:

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Awesome job guys and gals. Xer I'm same way with preferring fixed verse. Occasionally I'll abridge a fixed verse. But I do better under structure, ironically feel more freedom because forcing brain to work in those constraints.

I don't like to "critique" much esp publicly unless specifically asked for it or more input/ideas... poetry is so personal anyways really no right or wrong unless you're trying for a real strict verse and have form issues, yeah :) Why I love poetry. So if anyone wants to discuss your poems or mine or anyones in depth feel free.

Xer Yours is really good, some lines I filled myself in there definitely. Esp the last stanza.

Dying - I could feel that as lyrics u play guitar or instrument? I've been a way from SPW forums a while I forget... u should tho that's good shame u lost others on hardrives.

Mike - fun and funny and still deep :D Reminds me of ee cummings his styles.

AS for me instead of posting here I mean I'll just link my thread tho there's a bit of stuff there... can PM me or reply there or not. :) I'll post anything new/haven't done yet here. Or specific ones from thread.

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/deus_ex_poetry-of-a-lemur-32428/

One I wrote recently is a Tanka. About avoidance/shyness.

Around turns the mouse
At the first move, sight or sound
Repeat the scurry
Up into the trees to hide
Where no one moves hears or sees

Last edited:

Xervello

I'm exactly the same, DEL. For me, with free verse, there's TOO many possibilities. It's daunting trying to whittle them all down into one thought process. Like you said, fixed verse feels more liberating. It's like it says, "okay, here's a box of a certain size and a certain shape. Now fill it!" Having a finite amount of room to work with really narrows my focus.

I really liked that tanka. Even though I'm not crazy about them, haikus or cinquains it was very good. Then again, it helps that it speaks to our anxiety and I can relate. What's the title? And what other fixed verse styles have you written in? I'll check out your thread. :)

dyingtolive

hey guys do u have any recommended reading, like ebooks that are helpful in teaching u how to write better poetry, like a poetry for dummies but more on the lines of 'secret of the pro's' and 'the 10 best and quickest techniques for really hard hitting poetry'

btw, thanks Lemur, yes i play guitar... I fiddled with the idea about improving keyboard but abandoned that idea and now just sticking with the guitar. Do you also play? its exciting too trying to put both poetry and music together

Last edited:

Xervello

I don't really know of any books, sorry, dtl. But I could tell you a few tricks that worked for me if you like?

One of the things that helped me was to take a poem from someone like Yeats or Wordsworth or Thomas, write down its first verse and then imagine what would come next in my own words. Or, taking one of those poems and rewriting it in my own words. You can do the same with song lyrics. I write in fixed verse, so that helped me learn iambic meter a lot better, and it also improved my vocabulary.

Another trick, use limited and obscure end words to your rhymes. If your poetry rhymes, that is. End words are the rhymes at the end of your sentence. Too often our language is limited and we have those go-to words or metaphors we rely on when we can't think of anything else. It can make our stuff repetitive and one-dimensional. If you choose words that are difficult to rhyme or challenging to make a metaphor with, it forces you out of your comfort zone and expands your language. Try to avoid use the 'ay' or 'ight' or 'ee' words like day or night or see. They're too easy. But using (off the top of my head) words like hoist or calf or globe, it forces you to think, "how the hell do I make a metaphor about love with the word calf?!" But that's the challenge. It forces you to think up how to describe something in ways you never thought of before.

Lastly, it depends on what kind of poetry you write. But with any, make sure you use a lot of nouns and verbs. Don't rely too heavily on adjectives for your imagery. If you write confessional poetry where your goal is to relate to the reader, choose imagery and metaphors that are specific to the everyday things we encounter. Personalize your metaphors. And if you like metaphysical poetry, use universal images that have grandiosity; appear large and have a diverse swathe of meaning. But whatever you write, approach it in an original way. Try to find that unique angle inside, so that what you're saying isn't something that's been said for the millionth time. It just takes practice, dtl. :)

lonely_drummer

Locked senses, fetal minds
Transed into the sea of everything
Walls vanish
Stars extinguished
Empty noise drip into galactic conscience
Listen as you'll hear,
The universe chattering,
Peering through the atmosphere
Changing my minds conception,
Buzzing from the ground
she awakens to speak,
Listen to my rhythmic youth
Awkwardly chanting,
Lost flight through arrogance
Future is in mind
And the past buried deep inside
No more waiting for the sea

Yeah, it blows...

Deus_Ex_Lemur

I want to play guitar but no I don't. Trombone and piano I do tho. Xer I usually didn't like tanka/haiku's either I enjoy rhymed poetry but after writing in it about my issues/feelings idk I enjoy the forms now :) Also enjoy it's short and sweet I am usually so wordy/convoluted it's nice to be concise.

Reading poetry and lyrics help with writing like any writing form or in general. Shakespeare too lol I've studied read a lot he just always blows my mind. But just reading examples etc.

And just writing... the most helpful thing is just a basic core theme/idea/image you're writing about. My mind works freaking oddly - I begin sometimes with an image or feeling and go with a fixed verse I choose and... find something more sometimes a concept or metaphor or whatever. Or so I think :)

Lonely Drummer NO it doesn't blow! (unless that was part of your poetry :) Flows nicely and idk I could see myself in the words/images. I'd love to hear more of your poetry.

Limericks are supposed to be funny silly dirty. I just enjoy the rhyme scheme and form. Here's two I wrote before:

Glued/Glued Together

I can’t see past my porcelain hands splayed
Out front of my weary eyes cracked and flayed
Blocking a sun that shines no light
Shattered bare by rocks in flight
The broken pieces set, for all displayed

Hubris
Thwarted in a quickening of fallows
Courted by marching bands of sorrows
Maestro of cacophony
Steadfast in catastrophe
Horded with thy Chorus toward the gallows

Anyways... hope more ppl feel more comfortable to share... I know PMing can even be difficult. But no judgement here, post and show us your talent and vulnerability because poetry can be deep and personal I know... ppl will relate to your words/feelings even if they don't say so. Beauty of poetry :)