Anyone speak Welsh here?

Remus

Staff member
yep in the heart of wales they pretty much speak welsh to each other all the time, english is a second language

recluse

It is taught in schools in Wales with as much importance as English. Most Welsh people do speak Welsh to each other all the time, but the language is slowly dying. All the signs here are bi-lingual also. It depends a lot on the area in Wales. The larger towns here tend to have much fewer Welsh speakers.

Welsh is also spoken in Patagonia in South America due to the Welsh colonists who went to start a new life there in the 1800's, there's even place's there with Welsh names.

recluse

Yeah, I heard that theres actualy more Welsh speakers in Patagonia than in Wales haha.

Yeah it's ironic that you have to go to the otherside of the world to have a conversation in Welsh!

Ps- Black Sabbath rock!

NormanBates

Awesome!
I would love to have been brought up with a language like that.
My forebears' were Apache but nobody speaks it :*(

princess_haru

I love the sound of Welsh! Sometimes I watch the Welsh channels on Sky, even though I haven't a clue what they're saying lol ;-) Seeing it written blows my mind though; I can't even begin to imagine how the words are pronounced! If I see French written I can take a fairly accurate guess as to how to say it, even though I speak VERY little French, but Welsh looks really alien despite originating so geographically close to English. My friend's dad speaks Medieval Welsh, which must be an insanely niche subject to study!!

princess_haru

Yeah, that's the one! I don't have Sky at home so I don't watch it very often though. What does the "y" mean - is it "and"? I see that a lot in Welsh sentences and I'm guessing y is used as a vowel in Welsh, is that right?

recluse

Yeah, that's the one! I don't have Sky at home so I don't watch it very often though. What does the "y" mean - is it "and"? I see that a lot in Welsh sentences and I'm guessing y is used as a vowel in Welsh, is that right?

It means 'the'. In English the title would be 'People of the Valley. And yes it's a vowel in Welsh.

recluse

That's soo cool. How do you pronounce that?

Oes - ois (not quite like i but a longer sound)
yna - un-nah
rhywyn - rhuh-win
yma - um-ah
yn - un
siarad - sha-rad
cymraeg - come-raeg

The letter 'r' is rolled in the Welsh language.

princess_haru

It means 'the'. In English the title would be 'People of the Valley. And yes it's a vowel in Welsh.
Aah, so now I know! Thanks :) Pobol always sounded like a really cute name for a kids' show - the first time I saw it in the listings I thought it was gonna be a show about two kids called Pobol and Cwm, hahaha!

Oes - ois (not quite like i but a longer sound)
yna - un-nah
rhywyn - rhuh-win
yma - um-ah
yn - un
siarad - sha-rad
cymraeg - come-raeg

The letter 'r' is rolled in the Welsh language.
Wow, that's complicated to try to say! I don't think I'll ever try to speak Welsh in front of a Welsh person for fear of hideously mispronouncing it and accidentally calling their mother something nasty... ::eek::

kingflab

I go to a Welsh university. It reminds me quite a lot of that film... er... whats it called... ah yes, thats it, Deliverance.

NormanBates

Wait I have a question -

Don't some Gaelic languages have like a special alphabet that the language is written in?