Any University for Social Anxiety people?

I_jailed_me

Hi, Is there any such Univ or College which specializes in having classes for people like us where we can feel comfortable in our own flock? I want to do an MBA and i really cant sit in class without freaking out...

PLEASE HELP OUT IF YOU KNOW. :(

Foxface

Hi, Is there any such Univ or College which specializes in having classes for people like us where we can feel comfortable in our own flock? I want to do an MBA and i really cant sit in class without freaking out...

PLEASE HELP OUT IF YOU KNOW. :(

I don't know, but that is a good idea! Getting others like us in the same place, could be a great oppertunity to meet some freidn, or someone special!

MrJones

I don't think so :/
Anyway I think exposition is much more recommended than more isolation.

There are universities (in here we have one called UOC, Universitat Oberta de Catalunya) where everything is online and you only have to go there for the exams (obvious :p). I guess it's the closest thing you can find to avoid "contact", even though it's meant for people who don't have much time or something.

All you can really do is pick a major that requires minimal social interaction. That probably means engineering or maybe computer science. My undergraduate major was biochemistry. Much to my dismay I had to speak up in front of the class in order to pass some of my classes.

The worst was the two hour-long research presentations I had to give. I was shy and never interacted with my peers. Some of them thought I was arrogant because of this. Presumably because of this, one girl asked a bunch of difficult questions during my presentation. She was obviously trying to get me flustered and trip up, which didn't happen. I still felt bad about it... I just wish I could've let my classmates know I didn't hate them, that I was just a quiet person.

O'Killian

My computer science courses required some presentations and a major group project, so that's not 'safe'. I would imagine there's at least some of that in engineering courses, too. (Hell, in my first Calculus course the prof required us to work out problems on the board in front of the class.) Also, at least where I was, some of the core requirements require such things; all part of your liberal education and whatnot.

As MrJones said, the best you're likely to find are online courses. From what I'm told, though, the social experience at college can be just as important as the academic experience, so it might behoove you to face your fears.

da_illest101

I don't know if any existed, though it would greatly help some people. Personally I doubt it would be any good since the work environment is, in general, pretty ruthless. If that would lead for jobs for people like us than I would gadly love the idea.

coyote

i don't about an MBA

but if you're pursuing a degree in art then the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is perfect

when i went there, it was filled with quiet, sensitive, emotional loners dressed in black

i fit right in

this_portrait

but if you're pursuing a degree in art then the School of the Art Institute of Chicago is perfect

when i went there, it was filled with quiet, sensitive, emotional loners dressed in black

Nice! :cool: I hear Columbia College in Chicago has quite a few people like that as well.

Wish I could suggest something, but unfortunately I went to a university where nearly everyone is a loud-mouthed extroverted joiner. :/

SM1010

College was way easier on my anxiety than high school.

In college you don't know anyone and nobody cares who you are. The classes are bigger and nobody even notices you unless you talk to them. Everyone is on their own agenda and there's way too many people to judge anyone around you.

Unlike high school where you've grown up with everyone and it's a big popularity contest.

Come to Toronto Ontario Canada. Here there's a college that has a 1 year program that's specifically for people with mental health and addiction issues. It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to what you're looking for.

Richey

Try learning from the open source universities online, there are no costs and you learn from lecturers that post videos to youtube. In the end the whole point of University is to learn something? Now you don't obtain a certificate but its still a valid form of learning.

e.g. http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses

I have basically studied Diplomas and Certificates where I pay for the courses to obtain certificates. In the meantime open source uni's are a great resource for simply learning without all the bull**** of a massive fee/debt, its all about wanting to gain the knowledge which often employers will prefer anyway over just looking at a piece of paper, they prefer it if you can just explain yourself with problem solving and logic..

online courses, paid or free are often as good as going to a class if not better. You are more relaxed at home, you concentrate better and the whole idea is to learn in your time, there is not time limit, you can learn after work, during the day, at night and the course content is really solid, so you do learn alot. if you need help there are e-tutors, you can call a number or email someone. But honestly there are so many online references and talking points that you can figure it out for yourself alot of the time anyway.

Online courses there are no presentations, and if there is then i'd imagine it'd be a one off, maybe you send a video or just a powerpoint presentation, i've heard different stories on that.

Consider Diplomas as well, not just Degrees. Diplomas often = Qualified!!! in whatever subject you study. Degree just gives you a bit more of an edge.

Of course going to classes is good because you can interact and meet people, all depends on what you prefer.

Last edited:

sucettes

I doubt very much that there is, but it is a great idea. I wish there was an university like that.

However, when I was in school the teacher knew about my problem and the school made smaller groups for me. It was still creepy since everyone was much more outgoing that me, but still a bit better.

paperie

As someone already said, you could try taking online classes.....but honestly, the whole college experience could be beneficial. Although I still have anxiety, I felt like my college experience relieved some of it. I didn't have many friends, but even doing simple things like going to eat alone in the dining hall helped me concur some of my fears.

hardy

I don't know about universities...but, i know certain places where people won't judge you as much as outside world does. I often go to Buddhist (though i am not a buddhist) centers....people are very kind there usually. There is a Buddhist center in Srilanka where they specialize in treating people with social phobia/ and other such disorders. google damrivi......i don't know if this helps....warm regards

I_jailed_me

Come to Toronto Ontario Canada. Here there's a college that has a 1 year program that's specifically for people with mental health and addiction issues. It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to what you're looking for.

Which one is that? Do you have any links or web sites to it or even a name will do..!!!!

Richey

you can take some classes online and just avoid your fears lol that's what i'm doing

I think its an age or financial thing. If you're just out of high school or you can stay somewhere and go to a uni or college then do that, but if you're working full time or live away from a uni then studying online is great. there are forums for people to ask questions and emails for help.