Any Hair Pullers?

FakeID

Just wondering if anyone else here pulls their hair out when anxious? I think there is a word for it

Trichotillomania is what it's called according to google.

(Trichotillomania is an irresistible urge to pull out hair from your scalp, eyebrows or other areas of your body. Hair pulling from the scalp often leaves patchy bald spots, which people with trichotillomania may go to great lengths to disguise) - copied and pasted

Like not so much grabbing a chunk of hair and pulling in rage, but selecting hair ANYWHERE on the body, and ribbing it out one by one. I do it without even noticing sometimes when I am anxious, it has almost turned into a calming habit though. One of my worst areas is my eye lashes, its pretty embarrassing when I can't stop and end up with like only half a set of eyelashes. Can't exactly come up for an excuse for where they went.

Anyone one else out there like this?

Last edited:

FakeID

"even if I could, I wouldn't. That is naxty and discusting."

lmao you are lucky I find insensitivity funny

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you didn't intend for it to sound that way :p

but yea, sounds like she may have done it also.

I don't pull head hair, I don't usually get an urge to do that.

Last edited:

Foxface

I wonder if she was like me. If only I could have said something. I think I paused for a second or two, but didn't know what to say. I wish I had good coail/communication skills like anyone else. Could have been my soul mate (if I have one), who knows. I wonder that about a lot of girls. I don't hav any decent social skills to say anything to say anything better then a greeting, and just a greeting is only enough to make her look at you for a couple of seconds. I'm not the best looking at all, ao why would she like me?

The best thing I can do is, think that it wouldnt work out anyway, which what makes it less bothering.

FakeID

That could be said for anyone though, I believe there is someone for everyone out there. Don't worry you will find your girl :p I'm sure you are better looking than you think, everyone thinks they look worse than they do.

Foxface

That could be said for anyone though, I believe there is someone for everyone out there. Don't worry you will find your girl :p I'm sure you are better looking than you think, everyone thinks they look worse than they do.

That;s what everyone says, but almost evry girl judges me in the first look, I can feel bad vibes from them. They pretend like I don't exist, and some it is clearly obviously, at there make a bad facial expression as if I'm a parasite or something. Like an insect. I dangerious insect which must be squashed quickly.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't pull it out or else I'd be bald at this point, haha.

I do play with it a lot, though. I could spend hours doing the same over and over, especially when I'm nervous. It's really troublesome because it distracts me a lot from tasks I have to do. I want to stop doing it but I can't, it's like an addiction.

Silatuyok

I don't pull necessarily, but I just gently tug at the hairs around my scalp line, my eyebrows, and my eyelashes at times, and the loose ones come out. I don't pull anything out forcibly, though, if that's what you mean.

:(

I'm not really into the hair pulling, however I do get obsessive about it occasionally with tweezers, but never with the hairs on my scalp. My real problem is the skin picking, which I often do in excess of an hour each day. I have lots of ugly marks and dark spots, and I think it's in the same category hair pulling. I know very well that it's damaging, but it's so hard not to do it anyways. It's really frustrating. :(

I've got what i now know to be "Trichotillomania" (but i've always called it "plucking", as was mainly my eyebrows). Had it since early teens, or maybe even pre-teen.
It comes & goes in severity, depending on my stress/nerves. It "calm my nerves", reassures, etc.
Sometimes i do it on my other faclal hair also, esp if growing a beard .. which has created "a bald spot" in my beard in past, so i don't let it grow long now for that reason.
And even before the eyebrows thing, ie as child, i kept sticking haior in ear. Amongst a few other nervous habits as well.
Nowadays i tend to binge on comfort food, which mean i don't have to do the hair-pulling thing. If i'm short on food (ie hungry), then i do the hair-pulling.
These habits are very much a big part of who i am (self-identity).

Starry

I don't pull hairs when I'm stressed, but I do sometimes find myself doing it and finding it comforting and relaxing... Thankfully, it's not in a place that anyone else will see... (Except my husband)...

FakeID

I don't pull it out or else I'd be bald at this point, haha.

I do play with it a lot, though. I could spend hours doing the same over and over, especially when I'm nervous. It's really troublesome because it distracts me a lot from tasks I have to do. I want to stop doing it but I can't, it's like an addiction.

I agree, it is much like an addiction.

Hello,

I had OCD for a long time but only a couple of years back I started pulling my hair. It’s not as serious as some cases I read about, but it was enough to be noticeable and cause embarrassment. I tend to pull it near the hairline on the sides. I don’t pull it out right off the bat, I start playing with it, twirling it around until I gets an irregular shape, then I pull it out.

As vacations kicked in I managed to stop and my hair grew back. This year it happened again, and I even posted a picture on the forum that coincided with that period of time and you could notice some hair missing on my right side near the hairline. I managed to control it to a certain degree and the hair grew back again. I still play with it, and sometimes I pull it out, but it’s not enough to be noticeable for the moment.

Did it start as a sole condition, or were you diagnosed with OCD prior to it? I’m curious (and this question is aimed at anyone who suffered from it, not just FakeID).

I have minor OCD, but I began pulling well before the OCD was known.

I'm not really into the hair pulling, however I do get obsessive about it occasionally with tweezers, but never with the hairs on my scalp. My real problem is the skin picking, which I often do in excess of an hour each day. I have lots of ugly marks and dark spots, and I think it's in the same category hair pulling. I know very well that it's damaging, but it's so hard not to do it anyways. It's really frustrating. :(

Tweezers are my best friends :p I cant stand not knowing where they are, if I lose them I get nothing done until I know where they are. I too "skin pick" I have some minor scars from it. I mainly scratch at little wounds like bug bites but never let them heal and it leaves a mark. It's not really an issue but I cant really resist the urge either.

I've got what i now know to be "Trichotillomania" (but i've always called it "plucking", as was mainly my eyebrows). Had it since early teens, or maybe even pre-teen.
It comes & goes in severity, depending on my stress/nerves. It "calm my nerves", reassures, etc.
Sometimes i do it on my other faclal hair also, esp if growing a beard .. which has created "a bald spot" in my beard in past, so i don't let it grow long now for that reason.
And even before the eyebrows thing, ie as child, i kept sticking haior in ear. Amongst a few other nervous habits as well.
Nowadays i tend to binge on comfort food, which mean i don't have to do the hair-pulling thing. If i'm short on food (ie hungry), then i do the hair-pulling.
These habits are very much a big part of who i am (self-identity).

I am much like that, in that if I repress or am unable to do one behaviour to relieve anxiety, it just comes out in another way. For instance if I am in public and can't pull I do this thing where i move my thumb back and forth on my lips or click my nails together. Among other habits.

this_portrait

It's not so much pulling it out as it is running my fingers through it and pulling away the hairs that have already fallen out and are just hanging (my hair tends to "shed," kinda like an animal's). The same applies to eyelashes that fall out and are hanging near my eyes. It gets to the point where I start running my fingers through my hair compulsively, trying to find loose strands and undoing tangles.