Anxiety, Stomach Noises and Quiet Rooms

Ithior

Unless you are that skinny that you're borderline anorexic, I doubt that anyone would seriously believe that you're starving. :)

Well I'm the skinniest guy in the university and also pretty short. I'm only slightly underweight but my wrists are incredibly thin.

Not to mention that because of my anxiety I have trouble eating in front of certain people, so I always end up eating very little in front of them, which contributes to the idea that I eat very little.

Ithior

Well... If you are underweight, then better fix that. :)

It's not like I haven't tried. I go to the gym to get hungrier, I try to eat food that gets you more weight, but in my house my mum cooks and she wants to lose weight so there's a conflict of interest. For example, potatoes would be great for me but my mum says it makes her fat so she never cooks potatoes.

She also likes cooking meat that I have trouble eating (my teeth are rather weak, nothing my dentist or I can do about it) so 3 days a week or so I eat less than what I can eat because the food is too hard for me to chew.

By the way, I'm slightly underweight: my BMI is around 18.4 and 18.7 (18.5 is considered normal). A few months ago I gained like 3kg out of nowhere and since then it hasn't changed.

Last edited:

HHDisturbed

This happens to everyone. I work in a small office with 4 employees that is very quiet most of the time. My tummy grumbles loudly on occasion when I am hungry. I just dismiss it and say, "Wow, my tummy must be hungry". Then like Walk said, I sit up straight, avoid slouching and that usually helps.

You shouldn't be embarrassed by this. What WOULD be embarrassing is if you had burped loudly or the noise coming out the other end with some serious reverberation. That should always be avoided at all cost. LOL

Jalin

Re: Anxiety, Stomach Noises and Quiet Room

Hello is this thread still alive :) ? I have the exact sam fobia and id love to connect with some of you! Kind regards

lilmutegirl

I have had the same thing happen for years! Recently, I was in a meeting and the person next to me had a rumbling stomach. I just ignored it, until she leaned over and asked if I could hear it. I responded that I did, and she asked if I was politely ignoring it. I'm not sure if she was embarrassed, but the fact that she said something about it indicates to me that she was more comfortable confronting the fact that it was happening than I would be. I normally shift around uncomfortably in my chair when this happens to me.

chev

I have had the same thing happen for years! Recently, I was in a meeting and the person next to me had a rumbling stomach. I just ignored it, until she leaned over and asked if I could hear it. I responded that I did, and she asked if I was politely ignoring it. I'm not sure if she was embarrassed, but the fact that she said something about it indicates to me that she was more comfortable confronting the fact that it was happening than I would be. I normally shift around uncomfortably in my chair when this happens to me.

I'm the same way. I also shove my arms into my stomach, hoping it'll somehow muffle or stop the rumbling. It never works, of course, but I do it anyway. Not only do I get anxiety about this in a quiet room, but I also get a lot of anxiety if a room is a little warm. I'll start to panic and psyche myself out, worrying that I'm going to pass out. It only exacerbates the situation, and I go through a cycle of thinking about whether I'd be able to discretely escape the room or if I'd have to bring my faintness to someone's attention. Out of fear of drawing attention to myself, I a lot of times have to try to wait it out and try to think of other things to get my mind off of it.

mucberry

Hey, I've found this thread after suffering of this crazy anxiety for 15 years and I'm still pretty struggling with it, but trying to cope with it every single day :)
If there is anybody who wanna talk, I will love to share experience. It's kinda great to find somebody like me :) Please, message me, I will be grateful.

krys_65

Hiii
I’m so happy to find this site because I thought I was the only one. Hope I could be in touch with you. Feel free to message me:)

Sacrament

This post is from 12 years ago, so I don't think the person's on the message board anymore :thinking:

Asdfghjkla

This post is from 12 years ago, so I don't think the person's on the message board anymore :thinking:

Even though this post might not be active anymore I feel like it's important I share my experience on here because I have the same phobia as you all. I first started being aware my stomach noises were different when the other kids laughed at them when I was around ten. That continued throughout my entire school life, I'm now at uni aged 19 and I still wake up every day and plan my day around how noisy the atmosphere will be during my day. It's unhealthy but it's how I've coped.

I have noticed the rumblings get worse when I'm anxious or going somewhere new. Exams, quiet classrooms, lectures, public transport, cinemas, waiting rooms, and even silent life drawing classes. All of it a living nightmare for me, and often when it happens and people turn their heads I remember it and rank these moments against each other like a competition for 'what was the worst ever one'. It's important to remember though that while it is traumatic for you, to everyone else it was just a rumble easily forgotten, no matter how loud or strange it sounds!

To all of you who may be looking for help, try Rennie tablets before a class or meeting, these have helped me at times as they get rid of the gas in your tummy causing the noise, also carry a notebook and write notes to distract yourself, you can also turn the pages to cover any noise, eat small healthy snacks throughout the day, and I also recommend meditation to help you get through the negative thoughts. You could also try apple cider vinegar (with water please be careful).

Please all of you remember to stay positive, and don't let it control your life. My experience with it is a little different as I have been diagnosed with anxiety and IBS, and am now worried it may possibly be Crone's disease but it has all stemmed for early on anxiety. I have had countless trips to the doctor to try and fix it and even tried therapy but I feel it will be with me for the rest of my life.

At one point I was very depressed and thought often about taking my own life, but I realised just how lucky I am to even be alive compared to other less fortunate people and my advice is to not lock yourself at home, get outdoors and have fun with friends and everything will get better. Create happy memories. While I was so scared before I have now had a boyfriend for over a year and I've talked to him about my condition and he accepts it and I love him for it. It is possible to have a good quality life, good luck everyone.

MichaelB

Many people have it, sometimes you can make fun of it by talking to your belly :) I have this too, and I feel little weird when I am in quiet room with my colegues and my stomach is rumbling, but not by stress. However, that sounds are very awkward.