Anxiety makes me urinate frequently

Hey guys! I'm new to this, but earlier today I decided to search about my problem on google and found an old thread on this forum about a constant need to pee.

I am actually feeling that need to pee right now even though I literally went to the toilet 5 minutes ago.

It all started around October 2012 when I was at a concert with a friend and suddenly for no apparent reason I needed the toilet, so I went, then when I came back I thought okay I can enjoy the rest of the concert now but that didn't quite happen. I must've gone well over 10 Times and I didnt understand what was going on, it just started for no apparent reason... Since the first incident till today its been happening on and off and ive gone doctors 3 times and ive gotten to the conclusion it's not a physical problem but it's all in my head because I actually don't need to pee whatsoever although my brain keeps telling me I do.

I get worse when I'm on public transport because I panic I'll need the toilet and won't be able to use it. I'm frightened of traffic if I find myself in it I literally drive myself to needing the toilet because my brain tells me I will.

Sometimes it settles then for no reason it comes back. I thought I was the only one with this problem until I came across the old thread here that someone created.

It's so frustrating and depressing, like I can't remember what it feels like to have a normal bladder routine or to not think about controlling my bladder because I'm terrified I'll actually pee myself and that's my biggest fear.

It's been so bad before that I've even had to leave lectures to go home because I couldn't concentrate. Even at home I can feel the need to pee constantly and I keep trying to relax myself and tell myself its all in my head.

Anyone that is currently experiencing something similar?

I researched and found out that this is something called generalised anxiety disorder, I got a GP appointment and I'm going to discuss this so hopefully something can get sorted... Anyway thanks for reading and share your thoughts?

Sorry its actually such a long message!! :)

Kiwong

I need to pee a lot because I drink too much caffeine, it is a diuretic.

I have that fear, usually a long plane flights, I am anxious using the inflight lavatory, so I try to hold onto dear life. Sometimes I get a painful gut, which could almost finish up as something embarrassing.

I know it's because of what I drink, regardless of if I drink a lot or dont I still just want to pee my brain literally hates my bladder lol! I've been checked for UTI's and other physical. problems but I'm quite sure it's psychological because I literally make myself think I need the toilet... I only drink coffee once a day as well... It's so annoying

I don't know why it says on my profile I'm a male, I'm actually a female, don't quite know how to change that lol

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Ithior

It's been happening to me lately, though I only feel like going every hour or so and it only happens when I'm outside. Not really related to your problem, but I feel like talking about it.

I used to be able to hold it for at least 5 hours, even managed to hold it for 10 hours one day. Not because I wanted to, but because I'm pee shy and I couldn't pee wherever I was at. I had to hold it through morning/afternoon classes (about 5 hours a day) because I couldn't use a bathroom like the one in my faculty. I had to hold it for 10 hours when I went to this concert/social event that goes on all night (if you're Portuguese, you might know this event: Queima das Fitas) and I couldn't use those stalls, afraid some drunk guys would go shake it (even though I had a friend standing just outside, though I guess that also made it worse for me). I tried using those stalls like 10 times throughout the night, but I never had any success.

During New Year's night I had a huge urge around 4~5am and we were at a place where I couldn't pee, and it was horrible. I felt like my bladder was going to explode. I managed to get my sister to go home, but she was going slowly and even stopped somewhere talking to our friends instead of walking. I felt like I was going to die around then. I kept moving forward with her boyfriend and we managed to find this hotel, and the guy working there allowed me to use the bathroom (only because there weren't any public bathrooms outside, though according to him they forgot about them that year; if there were some outside I would have to tell him about my pee shyness, which I hadn't told anyone else at the time). I feel like he saved my life, that I wouldn't have made it home otherwise. I already told my sister about my pee shyness so this doesn't happen again.

I think it's because of that pee shyness that I have been needing to pee more frequently lately. I start to get nervous about being able to use the bathroom at the place I'm at or the place I'll be at.

Silatuyok

If I am in a situation where I think I will not be able to pee for a while, then yes sometimes I get a little obsessive with the bathroom breaks. I anticipate the need so much that it makes me feel like I really need to go. Even though your situation seems to be more extreme than mine, I can relate to some extent.

It's been happening to me lately, though I only feel like going every hour or so and it only happens when I'm outside. Not really related to your problem, but I feel like talking about it.

I used to be able to hold it for at least 5 hours, even managed to hold it for 10 hours one day. Not because I wanted to, but because I'm pee shy and I couldn't pee wherever I was at. I had to hold it through morning/afternoon classes (about 5 hours a day) because I couldn't use a bathroom like the one in my faculty. I had to hold it for 10 hours when I went to this concert/social event that goes on all night (if you're Portuguese, you might know this event: Queima das Fitas) and I couldn't use those stalls, afraid some drunk guys would go shake it (even though I had a friend standing just outside, though I guess that also made it worse for me). I tried using those stalls like 10 times throughout the night, but I never had any success.

During New Year's night I had a huge urge around 4~5am and we were at a place where I couldn't pee, and it was horrible. I felt like my bladder was going to explode. I managed to get my sister to go home, but she was going slowly and even stopped somewhere talking to our friends instead of walking. I felt like I was going to die around then. I kept moving forward with her boyfriend and we managed to find this hotel, and the guy working there allowed me to use the bathroom (only because there weren't any public bathrooms outside, though according to him they forgot about them that year; if there were some outside I would have to tell him about my pee shyness, which I hadn't told anyone else at the time). I feel like he saved my life, that I wouldn't have made it home otherwise. I already told my sister about my pee shyness so this doesn't happen again.

I think it's because of that pee shyness that I have been needing to pee more frequently lately. I start to get nervous about being able to use the bathroom at the place I'm at or the place I'll be at.

Yea I know queima das fitas... I mean it all seems to be pretty linked to each other... The situations... Yours actually started from a situation you went through, a trauma I guess... But mine just started outta nowhere that's whats so frustrating... :/

If I am in a situation where I think I will not be able to pee for a while, then yes sometimes I get a little obsessive with the bathroom breaks. I anticipate the need so much that it makes me feel like I really need to go. Even though your situation seems to be more extreme than mine, I can relate to some extent.

Yes my situation is just like that but worse... Like it's just really embarrassing for me tbh... Recently I was on the underground train and I was going crazy because I just felt like I was actually going to pee myself... My brain just tells me I'm going to pee myself... It's the worst feeling... Mine's definitely worse when Im in public transport where I can't get out to use the toilet. Everytime I tell someone about this they just think it's odd.. And it really is I just felt like a freak until I realized a lot of people actually go through it... Well a few anyway

Ithior

Yea I know queima das fitas... I mean it all seems to be pretty linked to each other... The situations... Yours actually started from a situation you went through, a trauma I guess... But mine just started outta nowhere that's whats so frustrating... :/

My problem started from a physical problem I had when I was younger, but the "habit" stuck around after the problem was fixed.

Are you sure it just started out of nowhere? Sometimes it's related to other problems we have that eventually make us feel more self-conscious about certain things.

Anyway, good luck with your appointment and I hope you can fix your problem.

My problem started from a physical problem I had when I was younger, but the "habit" stuck around after the problem was fixed.

Are you sure it just started out of nowhere? Sometimes it's related to other problems we have that eventually make us feel more self-conscious about certain things.

Anyway, good luck with your appointment and I hope you can fix your problem.

Yea, tbh, I smoked weed in August of 2012 and it got me to pee all the time even though I didnt need it but weed always made me paranoid so I stopped smoking completely, was never really a weed smoker as per say, but like, the problem began to occur more often in October 2012 as I said... Altho in my mind I still think it's the weed that triggered this problem... I told the doctor about it he said he doubted it was the weed... But in the back of my mind... I don't know... Just hope the doc can do something about it now because regardless of what triggered this problem it fact is its not gone away and its here to stay if something ain't done about it... Ill keep ya posted...

Ithior

Yea, tbh, I smoked weed in August of 2012 and it got me to pee all the time even though I didnt need it but weed always made me paranoid so I stopped smoking completely, was never really a weed smoker as per say, but like, the problem began to occur more often in October 2012 as I said... Altho in my mind I still think it's the weed that triggered this problem... I told the doctor about it he said he doubted it was the weed... But in the back of my mind... I don't know... Just hope the doc can do something about it now because regardless of what triggered this problem it fact is its not gone away and its here to stay if something ain't done about it... Ill keep ya posted...

Maybe you should check a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist (or mention visiting one to the doc). It's possible that smoking weed created the physical problem and it just got ingrained into your subconscious, and now it works kinda like a habit.

Knowing what triggered it is helpful if you go to the right spe******t. It's likely that a general doctor won't know much about a psychological problem like that, so he'll probably just tell you it's all in your head or if he thinks it's a physical issue, he'll prescribe a ton of meds that aren't really useful.

Maybe you should check a psychologist/psychiatrist/therapist (or mention visiting one to the doc). It's possible that smoking weed created the physical problem and it just got ingrained into your subconscious, and now it works kinda like a habit.

Knowing what triggered it is helpful if you go to the right spe******t. It's likely that a general doctor won't know much about a psychological problem like that, so he'll probably just tell you it's all in your head or if he thinks it's a physical issue, he'll prescribe a ton of meds that aren't really useful.

Yea I reckon I'll attempt seeing a psychologist before any other treatment ie medications and stuff. It might work for me and get to the bottom of the problem.