anxiety in the work place

freebird_

Really glad I found this site, hopefully I can get some help and advice from people who also suffer from severe anxiety.

I am not on any medication, I work on meditation and breathing techniques, they get me through the day. When I am really bad I take some herbal, store bought medication.

My anxiety is at it's most severe in the workplace. Although I do suffer from social anxiety, over the years I have been able to tame it. I don't have as many anxiety attacks in public as I used to. In the workplace I am in one constant panic attack, it's really terrible and hard to explain. I was in my job for 5 years and it completely took over my life.. I would work then come home and go straight to bed to try and calm myself down. I couldn't be around people outside of work.. when I wasn't working, I just wanted to be alone. I know this isn't normal. I felt like it just zapped all of my energy as it took so much for me to socialize and put on a front. Yikes. I know I am extremely introverted, not that it's a bad thing. It's just hard being an introvert and yet being expected to work and act like an extrovert because that is what is considered "normal behavior"

My company went bust and I am now out of work and the anxiety is through the roof. Applying for jobs, getting interviews then even the prospect of having to adjust myself to all these new people and situations... it's really hard and I wish I could just throw off all these worries but it's not that easy. I find it hard to "talk myself up" in interviews, so I always do really badly. I hate the feeling of being critiqued and judged.. :crying:

If there is anyone out there who feels the same way it would be great to know.. thankyou :)

When I had a job I really hated, I'd be walking inside and almost vomit at the thought of being in that place. I hated my job. I switched careers and things improved. Then 3 years later that company went to Mexico and I was unemployed for 2 years, the best years of my life. I was on unemployment but I still worked some, just for extra money and I kept my baby girl every day instead of her having to be in a daycare. I finally got a job in the same field but I can control my SA at work enough to get through a shift. Hope things improve for you in your job search and enjoy the freedom while it lasts.

mikebird

Banned
I wish I was nervous at work in an office. I remember hot sweaty days like that, ignoring people, getting out to London parks for lunch

instead of stuck at home by myself with nothing to do at all
not much anxiety
or rage

but not very comfortable with rejection from my efforts

neardeath

I can't tell you how I did it, but somehow I worked for 35 years. I'm there with you. I muddled through.

I'm not in very good shape to be giving suggestions, but welcome to the forum. Hope you find some help here.

Feathers

I've had some work-related anxiety too... (and last two jobs haven't been best)

Not sure how to go about it, as even the thought of applying for some job has given me anxiety too.. Anxiety fot Dummies book says to make small steps in the process...

I was thinking to become an entrepreneur/work for myself or start an NGO - my folks weren't really enthusiastic about that (they wanted me to have a 'secure' job outside the house), so I kinda lost enthusiasm for that too... Not sure which way to go really, as I can still envision myself doing both... (either job or biz on the side, or such) not sure how much energy I have for both though...?

Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope you find some answers (or at least good company!) here!

jaim38

I'm unemployed too but have student loans I have to pay off. I will graduate this year but dread finding a job. I worry about workplace anxiety too. I wish I can just live with 3-4 friends in a hut in the forest and self-subsist as farmers there.

Richey

I used to walk outside of the office and vomit in the garden from sick-anxiety. Mainly from the pressure of the workload and all the phones around me. Difficult to concentrate in that environment. Some can do it though. I'd get nervous stomach noises as well. It was pretty bad, so had to leave in the end. I don't think it's that common. I'd often walk outside and collapse under the staircase from stress anxiety. don't think that's normal, but nobody knew about it. The sales team were all obsessive smokers and coffee drinkers, literally a coffee an hour. The pressure some of those staff go through, wow!!!

I've worked in warehouses where I felt the production line was just too fast for the workers so ended up leaving in protest, i'd give notice but I had to make a personal stand. There is fast and there is too fast for humans. Even with all the safety measures in place, repetitive strain and back problems are just too frequent in those places.

A lot of these places have high staff turnover for good reason.

So it's good if you find a place that suits you.

I don't have any answers. You don't know until you give any job a try first.

Last edited:

k8steroonis

I tossed and turned all Sunday night at the thought of returning to work on Monday. It sucked like I knew it would. I just blush profusely and because I can't think about anything else, and it shows directly on my face, no one wants to talk to me. I must look so distraught. And I don't blame them. But it doesn't stop it from sucking. It sucks. A lot. I hate work.

Richey

One job I had, my whole team were on anxiety medication, I wasn't but because they'd been there for so long and the pressure was immense it got them through. so they'd have anxiety medication, smoking and coffee, all very hyper because of it, that's how they coped ...I couldn't do that, but can understand why people do it. I kept wondering why they were all so hyper friendly, well, I guess it makes sense.

Richey

Everyone has to remember that the worries and stresses you feel has everything to do with thinking about the past or the future. If you can just remember that NOW is all there is. For example. in 30 minutes it will be the Now, the present. The future is the present. The present is full awareness of surroundings, living your purpose, being confident, if you start thinking, the guilt sets in, the worry sets in, once you stop the thinking and you keep in the present and you spend most of your time in the present then your life will get better and better.

It really is that simple.

If you are sitting around thinking then what does that mean? It means you'll worry. Once that happens just flick back to the present. Practice it until you are always in the present.

Again, it's really simple, but I think it is what will solve a lot of peoples problems.

There is no such thing as past or future because they don't exist, it's just thoughts, it's influenced by looking at clocks each day, but you only ever have the present moment.

Last edited:

freebird_

Damn I feel better already knowing that I'm not alone. I think that sometimes my social awkwardness/being quiet comes across as rude.. so not very many people would want to be my friend. Then I tried being overly nice to everyone.. which just feels fake. It's a tricky one. I guess I just have to not think about things to much and go for it.

The solution to it all is to become your own boss, which I am working towards. Currently in the process of setting up an online business. But I know I will have to get a job of some kind until I start making a proper income.

Living in the Now is great advice and having that kind of mental attitude helped me a lot when I was working. I already felt a familiarity with the job and some of the people so I guess I had slight confidence in that retrospect because I knew what I was doing.

I would really like a job where I am not dealing with the public too much, but as that's all I have experience in... there isn't many other options. I love working with animals and have volunteered at a few rescue shelters but it's unpaid unfortunately.

The hut in the forest idea has been a dream of mine for so long, I second that motion!

Justtonya7340

my anxiety gets the best of me when I go for an interview. I get all flustered and find I can't talk about the things the interviewer is asking. I have had interviews where they been a complete flop. And others that were worthwhile. Although I didn't stay at that job very long but I tried.