Answering the phone

dan_e

Me too, but only sometimes. When I see certain peoples numbers I get all panicky. Then after it stops ringing I think of all these great things I could've said. Sheesh!

P.S. Its a shame that we get harassed even on a forum like this where we come for comfort.

For me it really depends whose calling. If it is someone that I have never met before in my life I have no problem talking to them at all really. They probably wouldn't suspect I had anythign like this. However, if it is someoen I know I get really really nervous about it. It's just really helpful to know who is calling before you answer the phone.

Infected_Malignity

Answering the phone isn't so bad anymore for me, but I still put off making calls. It's funny, too... I'm fine with meeting people in person and introducing myself, but calling somebody I don't know in person makes me shake uncontrollably.

recluse

I sometimes let the phone ring for ages because i am so afraid that i won't have anything to say when i answer it.

princess_haru

Psychedelicious said:
For me it really depends whose calling. If it is someone that I have never met before in my life I have no problem talking to them at all really. They probably wouldn't suspect I had anythign like this. However, if it is someoen I know I get really really nervous about it. It's just really helpful to know who is calling before you answer the phone.
I'm the same. I always get more nervous with people I know than with strangers. Greater potential for future embarrassment, I suppose! My house phone doesn't have caller ID so I never know who's calling till I pick up - it's a scary lottery! Or maybe Russian Roulette... 8O

I don't even like the sound of it ringing. It's so demanding, like it's shouting "ANSWER ME! ANSWER ME NOWWW!!" Grrr :x

(edited for random typo!)

silentangel

im so scared to answer the phone but because i work in an office environment i dont have a choice. at home its ok coz only family and friends call to our home and the occasional sales person.

sketchy24

Psychedelicious said:

Ya I'm like that too... I hate it when I get like some relative or something and especially have a problem if they feel like talking. I try to pass the phone on to whoever asap. Surveys, junk mail, or whatever, I have no problem with though but anyone I know even slightly I have a real problem with.

Calling people is worse though. I cannot call people period. Ever. Whether I know them or not I just can't call them unless I know them REALLY well.

proudmummy

I never make phonecalls to anyone other than usual like real close family, partner, etc. I'm fine with calls to services, work n things though but if say I have to phone a family member i don't speak to much I get so panicky that I ask someone else to do it, who bad is that?! i'm suprised nobody has picked up i'm different yet! well they probably have, they just keep it nice n quiet.

Siren

I never answer the phone unless it's my parents.

Thank God for caller id.

And if I absolutely have to call someone I don't know very well, I start hyperventilating and feel sick.

burner21

I never answer the phone unless its my parents or brothers. if its someone else i know, i just know they'll ask me to go hang out or whatever and i'll just get nervous and say something stupid. i wont even answer for strangers because of the questions they might ask. And calling other people is out of the question.

i used to be fine at picking up phones but then one time when i was in like 5th grade i didnt want to call my friend because i had lost something she let me borrow and i had my first panic attack before i was going to call. since then everytime i try to use the phone i have a panic attack and i just can't do it unless its a stranger. i can talk to any stranger. but if its someone i know except for my parents and my siblings then i just cant do it i go absolutely bonkers.

zootdroop

It's confusing for me cause sometimes it's this huge nerve racking ordeal and sometimes it's no big deal. If I know it's someone I'll never see in real life or never talk to again, I'm alright, sorta. Cause sometimes ordering a pizza is an ordeal, depends. But if it's someone I know or someone I'll have to talk to again or see them in real life later or someone I'll have to talk to for a long time and talk about myself to, forget it. Like calling in sick to work, I've never done it, I can't. I get nervous that they are gonna think I'm faking or something or I'll get stuck in a conversation and not be able to get out of it. I've called before and hung up when someone answered, actually I've done that with many things. I just avoid using the phone unless it's absolutely necessary.

villacjs

I hate using the phone. I'm getting better though. Back when I was a kid I would never answer the phone if I was by myself. Even now I still hesitate to answer the phone everytime it rings. I hate when my relatives call and we have the usual 2min small talk because I have nothing to talk about.

Calling a restaurant was impossinble for me a few years ago, I was better at making the order there rather than over the phone, work that one out! :roll:

princess_haru

Does anyone else here loathe answerphones? If I get someone's answerphone I always hang up - I just can't bring myself to leave a message! It freaks me out to think of my voice being recorded... what if I say something really stupid?! :oops:

milo001

i'm the same as well.i scared to cal my friends becausei think i'll bother them or they're busy.if the phone ring i'll not answered.i still dare to answer the phone years ago but now i can't do any of it. :(

zootdroop

princess_haru said:
Does anyone else here loathe answerphones? If I get someone's answerphone I always hang up - I just can't bring myself to leave a message! It freaks me out to think of my voice being recorded... what if I say something really stupid?! :oops:

Me too. The thought of me being recorded freaks me out more than having to talk to someone. I've only left someone a message once or twice, just cause it was important and absolutely I had too.

PhantomPod

I do alright answering the phone. It's having to make phone calls myself where I have major problems. I have to right a script out of what I want to say and then write out possible questions the other person may ask me and how I might answer those questions, and oh man, it's pathetic. Then, if I call and am all set for the person to answer and it ends up going to the person's voicemail instead, I freak out and hang up because sometimes I'm not prepared for that and didn't write up a script for the possible scenario of leaving a message. I have major phone issues. Yeah.