An introduction, i guess! (warning --a few lengthy paragraphs)

matthew_

Hey there.

I am a 27 year old male from Australia, Sydney.

Interests: Film Making, Screenwriting, Painting, Visual Arts, etc.

Like everyone, the title of a disorder is hardly a universal quantification. I have come to some level of maturity and understanding with my extreme generalized social phobia.I have exposed myself to harsh situations on purpose, like going to film school - where I completed many aspects of acting and presenting (pitching ideas) to large audiences as well as socializing with a lot of people who were my peers or slightly younger. (I was about 25 at the time, they were ranging from 17 to 23ish)People my age, who might find me attractive, ugly, or comparable, are the major people who I am mostly affected by.

Film School, did however allow me to grow, and understand from a less - fantasy perspective - that people don't always think in the same way I do (being analytical is not always a bad thing). And once you get a handle on that concept, then reprogramming that deep seeded conditioning becomes something achievable.
I am fortunate enough to have a dream, and with a set goal,overcoming at least has a guideline. I want to make films that are a huge departure from the norm.

I never had a normal teenage life, instead locking myself away from people for many, many, many, years due to certain issues I had with myself. This prevented me from living a normal teenage life. And the few moments of normal life that I did lead, where trampled on by complex people who made me feel bad about myself in a deeply psychological way, even if part of it was my imagination.

Yes, I am complicated.

Objectively, I am good looking, smart, creative, although probably not normal. Thank god for that (mostly).
I am not saying this to boost my ego, but rather do what is hard when you have rather severe social phobia, understand the cement of reality under the projected fantasy created by conditioning yourself that you are "horrible, ugly, worthless, etc".
Something I miss however (If missing is never having, which i suspect it is), is ever being able to talk to someone else with social phobia.

People build friendships on small insignificant things, like enjoying wine tasting or playing video games, or even going for the same sports team. Yet social phobia, at least for me, is a huge aspect of my life. And keeping it constantly under a veil is exactly the kind of thinking that I am trying to avoid, I would imagine this would be the same for many others.

Without reading more than a single post on these boards, I have a strong feeling that having social phobia is partly reflective of a certain sensitivity, and while many people try to fix this by becoming like everyone else, I personally don’t think this is the black and white solution. But rather accepting what you are, and then using it with strength and courage to overcome regardless.

Anyway, Nice to meet you all, sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Niteowl

Welcome Matthew. :) It's good that you're able to see yourself in that way, and that you found the confidence to pursue your interests.

Here you will be able to finally talk to other people who feel similar to how you do! And it's a pleasure to meet you. :)

Apotheosis

First off: Welcome to SPW!

Secondly, I'm almost exactly like you, at least in a general sense. I've grown up effectively isolated by my own will, and I'm about to go attend one of the most intensive film programs in the nation. I'm also very analytical when it comes to my writing and creative process.

I've been looking at the kinds of movies being produced recently... and it's just kind of sad how bland and derivative they are. There's one that I saw... "Real Steel" - it's a movie based on those old Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots toys. It's a dramatic underdog story. BLEH.

If that's the norm then I wouldn't begrudge you going FAR outside that - it'd be a good thing for everyone. Personally, I tend to write some of my own feelings into characters. It's odd, but doing that is sort of therapeutic; it lets me explore problems vicariously. It also helps add a little realism to my creations. :rolleyes:

Glad to have you with us.

matthew_

First off: Welcome to SPW!

Secondly, I'm almost exactly like you, at least in a general sense. I've grown up effectively isolated by my own will, and I'm about to go attend one of the most intensive film programs in the nation. I'm also very analytical when it comes to my writing and creative process.

I've been looking at the kinds of movies being produced recently... and it's just kind of sad how bland and derivative they are. There's one that I saw... "Real Steel" - it's a movie based on those old Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots toys. It's a dramatic underdog story. BLEH.

If that's the norm then I wouldn't begrudge you going FAR outside that - it'd be a good thing for everyone. Personally, I tend to write some of my own feelings into characters. It's odd, but doing that is sort of therapeutic; it lets me explore problems vicariously. It also helps add a little realism to my creations. :rolleyes:

Glad to have you with us.

Hey, nice to meet you man!

A lot of ideas I want to tackle deal on some level with social conditioning. I would mostly like to make a great film that's original, but if I can tackle some deeper issues that I might have some kind of unique insight into (and the same goes for you) then it would do nothing but aid my overall goal. :)

Mickery

Funny that you should say it mostly affects you with people who are on the same level as yourself, so to speak. I was pondering the same thing yesterday, I think I'm subconsciously hellbent on negatively comparing myself to others. Sounds like you've got a very positive handle on things and the future looks bright, welcome.

matthew_

Funny that you should say it mostly affects you with people who are on the same level as yourself, so to speak. I was pondering the same thing yesterday, I think I'm subconsciously hellbent on negatively comparing myself to others. Sounds like you've got a very positive handle on things and the future looks bright, welcome.

Yes, I think that's one of the very persistent things that I have seen since the inception of my social phobia at about the age of 14 or 15, this cross-comparing of myself to others.

I find that most people without social phobia tend to channel their thoughts into a particular task, and there are one or perhaps two thoughts that accompany that, besides the natural interrupts. When they need to, they can focus on one thought, and give an answer in a classroom, or engage in the actual topic of a conversation.

However in a socially demanding situations, I personally find that my brain is thinking about 5 to 8 things, sub thoughts. Less precise than the non-social phobia person's thoughts. And these sub thoughts (or perhaps feelings emulating or posing as thoughts), which can include insecure messages, tend to affect my memory and concentration. Which in turn affects my ability to socially relate. A loop, if you will.

When I occasionally do break into some form of social comfort, or relative social comfort, I find these conflicting emotions/sub-thoughts tend to pause, or simply become less dominant.

(went offtopic again)