An experience that might help others.

There is something I've just recently experienced that might help others in here.

My pharmacy started giving me the generic version of Zoloft called "Sertraline". I have been taking Zoloft for several years and it has been very helpful for me. I have been taking the generic brand which I was switched to without asking to be, for the past 2 1/2 months.

I was wondering why I had plummeted to the depths of despair when nothing in particular had changed in my life.
The only thing that had changed had been the switch to the generic brand.

So I went online to see if I could find any comments by anyone else who had been taking Zoloft and then had been switched to the generic brand only to experienced a dramatic downturn while taking the generic one for a while.

Well, when I found so many posts from people describing that being on the generic "Sertraline" had caused them to feel all of the same symptoms and things I had been feeling, thinking...I almost started crying with relief! I was not going crazy after all.
The next day I got back onto the actual Zoloft brand and omg!! after about 4 days my "normal" self came back!:eek::)

I only wish I had realized it may have been the generic brand making me feel like I was going crazy and bringing the suicidal thoughts back sooner.:eek:h:
So, I just wanted to post my experience with being put on the generic brand of an antidepressant without first being warned that it may not be as effective because of the different fillers and binders that they use with the same active ingredient. For me, it felt like I was no longer on an antidepressant.

If you are given a generic form of an antidepressant and your depression and anxiety start coming back, go and talk to your doctor as soon as you can. Don't put it off.

Silatuyok

That's very interesting. I would never stop to consider whether the generic would be any different. I'm glad you figured it out and are feeling better!

GraybeardGhost

Good to know. Like most people, I imagine, I've always assumed the generic to be identical to the name-brand drug and chosen the pill with the lower price. I'm surprised that fillers would make that much of a difference, but I guess there's no arguing with the evidence.

I so glad you're feeling like yourself again, Blue! :)

Now you just have to work on that finger-stabbing thing.

Plan9

Thats was the first anti-deppresant I was ever given (over 10 years ago) I remember hating that stuff at the time because it did nothing. Interesting to know that others found the same.

That's very interesting. I would never stop to consider whether the generic would be any different. I'm glad you figured it out and are feeling better!
Yes, usually the Pharmacy just tells you that "it has the same active ingredient in it" when you ask about them. Thanks Sweet Marie.

Good to know. Like most people, I imagine, I've always assumed the generic to be identical to the name-brand drug and chosen the pill with the lower price. I'm surprised that fillers would make that much of a difference, but I guess there's no arguing with the evidence.

I so glad you're feeling like yourself again, Blue! :)

Now you just have to work on that finger-stabbing thing.
Apparently the different fillers and binders they use can affect the way the active ingredient is absorbed into your body. Shame they don't tell you that. :eek:h:
Yes....the finger stabbing :blushing:, maybe I need to buy one of those steel chainmesh gloves to wear while I am using it, lol.

Thats was the first anti-deppresant I was ever given (over 10 years ago) I remember hating that stuff at the time because it did nothing. Interesting to know that others found the same.
Yes, it was amazing to read that so many had the same negative results from it, yet they are still giving it out to very depressed people. :idontknow:

ImNotMyIllness

Thanks for letting us know. I too always assumed that the generic and brand name were essentially the same. I've been taking Fluoxetine (the generic for Prozac) and it has had no effect on me...literally, nothing. (except, maybe tension headaches, hard to say).

I wonder if Prozac would be better? I don't feel like taking any more stupid pills. Argh!

Kiwong

I'm glad you have been able to get your old self back. To feel worse like that without knowing why must be frightening.