Am I the only one who think there is no point to our existence?

da_illest101

Now i'm not talking on a depressing level, i'm talking more on a realistic level. Also this is only my opinion and i do not have any proof to back me up. You can disagree with me a 100% and I respect that.

The way we live our lives is only to find something that interest us, occupied us from thinking about our inevitable death. No matter what we do, what little or big things we accomplish the result will always remain the same, death. I also think that nothing in this world last, that include this planet, the sun, the entire galaxy, it's just that some things last a lot longer then others. I'm not religious since I think it everything is sugar coated just to give people a chance at not going insane.

So in a nutshell that's why I think nothing we do actually matters, I don't believe in good and evil ( it's only an opinion not an actual fact) or society belief either. Even though i'm regarded as a good person I'm really negative minded

Now I'm not a heartless person or a robot, I actually like helping people to the best of my abilities, but that's just how I see the world and for me that's what I call the truth. Even though I think it's pointless doesn't mean I should live whatever time left in misery, I want to enjoy whatever time left i have :)

sorry for any mistakes

B

Beatrice

Yeah, this is pretty much how I see things too. If you embrace that it's all just temporary, you start to feel like maybe some of the things you thought mattered really don't matter much at all. Lately I've had much less anxiety because I think it's finally taken hold in my brain - that it really just doesn't matter, so you have an issue with one person, so what? Why stew against them? If you were in another situation it would be a different person. And there will always be someone you don't like, some issue you have to face, etc.

Okay, not sure if that made any sense but I just banged it out and.... there ya go :)

AsTimeBurns

In the long run, no, there's no point. You could be the greatest human being there has ever been, but eventually the earth will die, humans will die, the universe will die and it'll al be forgotten and pointless.

But hey... stay positive...

B

Beatrice

In the long run, no, there's no point. You could be the greatest human being there has ever been, but eventually the earth will die, humans will die, the universe will die and it'll al be forgotten and pointless.

But hey... stay positive...

LOL

Hey hey, you don't know that for a fact. No one knows anything for SURE. We can make guesses based on our limited senses and knowledge, but I have a sneaking suspicion we're totally wrong on some points in our ideas about the universe.

da_illest101

exactly like i said, this is only my opinion I have no way to prove any of this. Thinking this way greatly helped with my SA, cause like beatrice said: some of the things you thought mattered really don't matter much at all. I guess two negative really does equal a positive

I feel pretty similar about it. :3

I also believe there's no fundamental reason for us to exist. I actually find it a positive thing. This mindset makes worrying about trivial things so silly and unnecessary.

I'd be a lot more stressed if I believed anything else.

coyote

I feel pretty similar about it. :3

I also believe there's no fundamental reason for us to exist. I actually find it a positive thing. This mindset makes worrying about trivial things so silly and unnecessary.

I'd be a lot more stressed if I believed anything else.

yes, exactly

it's very liberating

if things don't have to be a certain way because of some pre-ordained plan or something, then they can be as silly and absurd as you want them to be

in fact, they already are

twiggle

Yeah I agree.
It encourages the question, 'does there even need to be a specific 'point'?
I think it is the way we live is the more important thing - being positive, doing our best and just trying to enjoy the ride as we up-down along it so that by the end we can think 'Yeah, I made the most of that' rather than assess too anally our various merits and shortfalls.

Kiwong

Yeah, nothing in the world lasts, that's why I try to enjoy the good while it is there. I fear losing it. Because it could be all gone tomorrow. Losing home, parents, my physical health. Sometimes you don't realise what you have taken for granted until it is gone.

I used hold a similar nihilistic view of things. What's the point if everything dies? I didn't have a reason to live. But right now, completely unexpectedly my life has opened up into a dream. I am truly enjoying myself, I've seen what happiness truly is. And it is worth fighitng for.

Sometimes I find my insignificance in the cosmic scheme of things soothing. For example when I look out of a plane window at all those tiny homes and cars my fears and failings feel less important. I'm just a soul struggling through life like the billions before me and the billions to come.

MrJones

I have no idea if all this is pointless or not (I think it is) but I think nobody should waste its time by trying to figure it out, just try to enjoy what you have while it lasts.

yes, exactly

it's very liberating

if things don't have to be a certain way because of some pre-ordained plan or something, then they can be as silly and absurd as you want them to be

in fact, they already are

We could all wear silly hats, and be properly dressed for every occasion. Always.

-lonestar-

When I was younger I saw no reason for anything, wondering if this world was made just so so people could breed and breed.

Ofcourse its all gloomey for SP sufferers. Many times I thought I wish I wasn't brought into the world. If you don't exist you never know what existing is, you don't know sadness, you dobg't suffer from a life lived afraid of being around others.

Its taken me forever to try and be a positive thinker, its difficult because of the hardships of basically living a non-life if you will. Living just to avoid pain, but then I try hard and follow the rules of energy, live by Karma. I finfd it hard to believe in such things but I have come to the conclusion that if there is a way to change ourselves, find a reason to make life about something we can find hasppiness.

I think of the innocence in children, the way we are mysteriously here in a plnet that inhabits intelligent beings, who created so much. Even thou I feel lonely and hopeless I apreciate what I have, I have my sight, my health, all my limbs in tact.

Sounds like rubbish if you've lived a life full of no excitement, and no trully memorable moments, but since I am alive I can't give up on living. I used to think of ending my life, but thats hard, and if it went wrong I'd end up in a worst state, and useless, also leave my familly with a deep hole of sadness. I know how we can regret not doing something when we should have. I believe there is a way we just need to find it.

Basically find something that gives you purpose or content. I bet if we didn't suffer from this phobia our outlook would be much more positive. Hope I made sense.

Last edited:

EscapeArtist

Well, honestly if we were to die off as a species the earth would take care of itself. But I think that all things were put here to form a balance, or cover an imbalance, and we are a part of it, although we have definitely caused a lot of imbalances being here...

da_illest101

When I was younger I saw no reason for anything, wondering if this world was made just so so people could breed and breed.

Ofcourse its all gloomey for SP sufferers. Many times I thought I wish I wasn't brought into the world. If you don't exist you never know what existing is, you don't know sadness, you dobg't suffer from a life lived afraid of being around others.

Its taken me forever to try and be a positive thinker, its difficult because of the hardships of basically living a non-life if you will. Living just to avoid pain, but then I try hard and follow the rules of energy, live by Karma. I finfd it hard to believe in such things but I have come to the conclusion that if there is a way to change ourselves, find a reason to make life about something we can find hasppiness.

I think of the innocence in children, the way we are mysteriously here in a plnet that inhabits intelligent beings, who created so much. Even thou I feel lonely and hopeless I apreciate what I have, I have my sight, my health, all my limbs in tact.

Sounds like rubbish if you've lived a life full of no excitement, and no trully memorable moments, but since I am alive I can't give up on living. I used to think of ending my life, but thats hard, and if it went wrong I'd end up in a worst state, and useless, also leave my familly with a deep hole of sadness. I know how we can regret not doing something when we should have. I believe there is a way we just need to find it.

Basically find something that gives you purpose or content. I bet if we didn't suffer from this phobia our outlook would be much more positive. Hope I made sense.

I understand what you mean, but you see that's how I see life, that's i'm happy or depressed, having fun or bored, busy or not busy. I know it might sound like a very negative way to view things, but to me, it seems more like a neutral thing not positive or negative. This will not cause me to kill myself, on the contrary, it will force me to enjoy life and what I have instead of mopping about how life sucks.

Silatuyok

I'm glad to see that a lot of you think along the same lines that I do. I've thought about this issue a lot lately. I've determined that anything that lives exists for the sole purpose of furthering its own species. But, I'm not really concerned about whether or not the human species continues to grow and evolve. In fact, I think it'd be better if we didn't. So, my conclusion was that I am here to support others who are doing good things in the world, even if I feel like I am not doing much myself. We can all just make life a little bit easier and more enjoyable for each other while we have to be here.
Still, I do sometimes feel the need to make my mark, so to speak, and to find a way to persist beyond the grave. It's a silly notion, because eventually everything will fade away, but I think most people feel that need on some level. This is why art and literature and music exist.

Dead_on_Arrival

Existentialism attempts to describe our desire to make rational decisions despite existing in an irrational universe. Unfortunately, life might be without inherent meaning (existential atheists) or it might be without a meaning we can understand (existential theists). Either way, the human desires for logic and immortality are futile. We are forced to define our own meanings, knowing they might be temporary. In this existence…

No, you are not alone.

Last edited:

WeirdyMcGee

Meh~ does it matter?

We're here, so we've got to do something, right?
Do what you can until you die - that's all you can do.
Make memories; even if it is pointless... just keep yourself entertained, try to enjoy being alive, and then die.

DeadmanWalking

I'm going to post a poem from a game and then explain:

“Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey, one is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler’s story live on, treasured by those who bid him farewell. But alas, now my guest’s life has ended, his tale left unwritten…”

In this poem, the main character has died and you have game over-ed. The poem is basically telling you that even though death is what awaits us at the end for everyone, there's still a point to live. We live so that we can pass on our memories and experiences to others (at least to the writer). If your life had no point, then that's your fault (not being accusative here) because you didn't try to give your life a point.

The answer to the meaning of life is so hard (in my opinion), because there are so many answers to that question. So, the best thing to do is to find your answer to the question and leave it alone. Maybe this didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but you get my point, right?

Dead_on_Arrival

I'm going to post a poem from a game and then explain:

“Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey, one is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life is merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler’s story live on, treasured by those who bid him farewell. But alas, now my guest’s life has ended, his tale left unwritten…”

In this poem, the main character has died and you have game over-ed. The poem is basically telling you that even though death is what awaits us at the end for everyone, there's still a point to live. We live so that we can pass on our memories and experiences to others (at least to the writer). If your life had no point, then that's your fault (not being accusative here) because you didn't try to give your life a point.

The answer to the meaning of life is so hard (in my opinion), because there are so many answers to that question. So, the best thing to do is to find your answer to the question and leave it alone. Maybe this didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but you get my point, right?

Point being, each to their own. Live how you want to live, others will live how they want to live. It's all about personal preference.

My point is, S**T happens then you die.