Add, adhd.

Kingdave

Does anyone take or has anyone ever taken add/ adhd medication? whats the effects? i have trouble paying attention and usually think of off topic things when im supposed to be paying attention

Feathers

I don't dare to take that either :)
You may get more answers on ADD forums though, lots of people there take meds..

Have you read the book 'Fidget o Focus'? It recommends movement..
I've found I can think with more clarity after a walk too..

ADD can be nutrition-related too.. (like depression/SA/etc) Some people may be allergic to food additives or salicylates... Might wanna learn more about this, or ask someone who knows about these things.. Or just see if movement and lots of sports alone would help?
I'd prefer to try more natural things first... (?)

bigchris

Testing has shown PEA levels are lower in those with ADHD, you can take supplements that increase PEA or simply correct your diet. People massively underestimate what a clean diet can do.

Ways to increase Phenylethylamine (PEA) without supplements is eating raw chocolate. Make sure it is dark and a high percentage of cocoa. Typical commercial chocolate won't do any good.

For ADD, acetylcholine is very important. One of the best ways to correct these is for one day, eat apples and drink apple juice (the proper stuff not high sugar cocentrates). Then the next few days eat quite a high fat diet (healthy fats, not cheeseburgers) meat, mustard, olive oil, avacados are all very good.

People also seem to find increased motivation and drive from abstaining for a week or so, although not proven.

Last edited:

coyote

I agree with the answers pertaining to nutrition, and non-drug solutions, but to answer the OP's question...

I used to take Adderall - it did help me to feel more "present" and focused - this not only helped with the ADHD symptoms of distraction and scattered thinking, but it also helped with anxiety, because I wasn't constantly thinking and worrying about all the troublesome things that constantly tumbled through my mind.

A lot of people misunderstand what ADHD meds are - they aren't some sort of narcotic sedative or depressant, but just the opposite - very strong stimulants. The ADHD mind craves stimulation - that's why you're always distracted and thinking about soomething more exciting than the boring, day-to-day stuff you need to be paying attention to.

So ADHD meds, like Ritalin, Adderall, etc. serve to provide the proper stimulation so that your mind actually quiets down. They have just the opposite affect in people without ADHD, and are therefore used and abused like many other stimulants (amphetamines, cocaine, etc.) by people without ADHD. Generally, people with ADHD seldom experience any addiction problems with stimulant meds - usually having a harder time remembering to take their meds rather than taking too much. But because the general population might abuse them, they are classified as controlled substances - so immediately, the anti-medication folks call them "dangerous."

Of course, there can be side effects. Stimulants are bad for your heart. They can decrease your appetite and lead to weight loss. They can also cause sexual dysfunction. They are prescription drugs, though, so you should be seeing a doctor anyway, and report any bad effects immediately.

I have found that drinking energy drinks like Monster, Rockstar, etc., have enough caffeine and other stimulants to help me focus sometimes. These aren't really good for you either - so I don't overdo it - but they're good for a quick fix every now and then.

I have also taken a supplement called L-Tyrosine - it's an amino acid that helps to strengthen brain synapses as well as muscle tissue. It can be found in pill form, but it's also included in many protein powders and sports supplements - and strangely enough is listed as an ingredient in many energy drinks.

That's my experience - results may be different in other people. Check with a medical professional.

Mokkat

tried some ritalin once. It made me calmer, and also allowed me to save some of my chocolate bar for later, instead of compulsively devouring it as usual :D

Davevanza

Does anyone take or has anyone ever taken add/ adhd medication? whats the effects?

Hi,

i have trouble paying attention and usually think of off topic things when im supposed to be paying attention

I don't have ADHD/ADD......
But during my University I used Piracetam, the so called "smart drug'.
It helped me to focus, and retain memory.
So far, the only side effect is nausea.
But could be prevented by using Choline.