Abilify

Jesushasomeoneforme

This is for people who have tried Abilify. Would like to hear how it went. How long were you on Abilify? Does it help social anxiety? Etc. Etc. Any info. on Abilify.

Noca

Banned
All I know is I would never try the drug. It sounds horrible and I've pretty much tried the entire pharmacy (minus abilify).

Exploding Heads

For some reason, I was supposed to try it, even though I didn't really want to and it was like the most horrible thing ever. It made me feel really bad, and it made me shake like trembling, since I already shake like a freak. And worst of all, it gave me blurred vision and made it so I couldn't see anything close up. So I couldn't even do homework or the computer and whatnot because it was so bad.

Noca

Banned
I heard Abilify is used for social anxiety.

That's what they would like you to believe as well as its use for depression. IMO it does nothing at all. Its just your doctors getting garbage pushed on them from the drug reps which they in turn push on you. The drugs they push on you are just the latest flavor of the month and may not even help you nor be good for you at all.

Show me a study where Abilify helps social anxiety or unipolar depression over a placebo and I might change my mind.

Yeah my psychiatrist prescribed me with Abilify to act as a secondary to the Celexa I was taking. Well, Abilify isnt commonly used for S.P. so I dont know why in the hell all of a sudden psychiatrists are trying this.
For me, it did nothing positive and it made it hard for me to watch tv or read, 2 things that help me feel calm and relaxed, it took away. Basically it made it hard to concentrate so much that I felt like I had ADD, this inner restlessness. Thats what people with social phobia DONT WANT is inner restlessness lol. So I told her that I didnt want to take it anymore and why and she agreed to let me go off of it. So now Im just taking the Celexa.

Emma22w

My doctor tried to put me on that one time, he was an old bag though so i don't think he knew what he was talking about. lol But i googled, and it said it was for people with bipolar disorder and all that crazy psycho shiz.. i'm not crazy! lol That's what i hate, ppl stereotype other ppl with SA, and they think we are stupid or not sane or something. It really pisses me off.

Emma22w

I mean it's gotten to the point where doctor's don't even give a Shi+ about their patients anymore!

Pookah

The list of side-effects (some serious and fatal) took up most of the commercial I saw for Abilify.

DillJenkins

Oh, and a question. How does Abilify differ from other atypical anti psychotics, if a at all?

Other Atypical's like Seroquel are generally D2 antagonists. They also are usually 5HT1A antagonists. They work to "lower" dopamine transmition because high dopamine levels are found in psychotic persons.

Abilify is a partial D2 and 5-HT1A agonist. Its similar to the other atypicals in that its a 5-HT2A antagonist which is basically the opposite of drugs like LSD, shrooms, etc....

It looks like an interesting drug and I would be willing to try if for social anxiety if it were free or if somehow I could afford to try it. Its interesting because its a partial agonist of D2 and this receptor is implicated in social anxiety in multiple studies.

Remus

Staff member
When you see a doc/shrink etc, he does something important, he listens to your heart, takes your blood pressure, this is so if he gives you any kind of medication and you drop dead, his arse is covered.

If you self diagnose and self medicate or take advice off some stranger who "recommends this great drug!" , ask yourself did you take that all important blood pressure test? if no you take your life in your hands, also if you buy drugs online you don't always know what you get.

So best advice go seek a professional

YouTube - Get Real, Get a Prescription advert

Noca

Banned
Who would buy Abilify off of some online pharmacy without a prescription?? As if its hard to get a blockbuster drug like this off your doctor. Not to mention he would prolly give you free samples, anything to get you on this drug that the drug reps pushed on him.

Patients should always educate themselves and not have blind faith in a doctor thats prescribing them meds.

In the end, its the doctor that has to decide whether or not to prescribe you the medication whether you suggested it to them or not.

Remus

Staff member
Bit of a shocking quote here
This is an advert from Pfizer in response to research which found that more than one in seven British adults (15%) has admitted to bypassing the healthcare system to get hold of prescription only medicine without a prescription, a practice which 78% of doctors say is putting peoples health and potentially lives at risk as some of the medicines obtained in this way may be counterfeit. These statistics from recent UK surveys show that more and more people are putting themselves in danger from buying fake pills its estimated that between 50 to 90 per cent of medicines sold without a prescription, or through unregulated websites are counterfeit . People buy medicines in this way because they think they are getting cheaper drugs, faster delivery, a better choice in fact theyre taking a real gamble with their health. Counterfeit medicines can be dangerous. Fake pills could make you very ill.

And we don't even have the drug reps pushing drugs on the doctors here, wonder what the figure is for north america

Noca

Banned
Bit of a shocking quote here

And we don't even have the drug reps pushing drugs on the doctors here, wonder what the figure is for north america

I am all with you Remus on buying medications online without a script.

I have never once suggested to anyone that they get a drug without a script, I suggest drugs that they can go talk to their doctor about.