A Place to Introduce Yourself

OTGrl

I'm 25 y/o. I am in my third and final year of graduate school and a business owner in Pennsylvania. I have been married for about a year and actually have less anxiety around men than women. Women can be so darn mean and judgmental. I get sweaty just calling a supervisor or thinking about it...awful. I start 40 hrs/week in an inpatient rehab hospital in January and then in April start 40 hrs/week in an acute mental health facility. I am looking for ways to hide/stop my sweating of my underarms and hands and also to stop my blushing to make the rehabilitation process nicer for myself and patients. I am also looking for more advice to help my future patients at the mental health facility. Either or both would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

mmconway

Hey everyone,
I’m new to the site as many of you are. I actually have self-diagnosed myself, Monophobia. I love talking to people I love socializing, I thrive in it however once I’m alone…that’s the problem. I hate it I can’t stand it I will do everything in my power to avoid it, may it be by getting together with a girlfriend or a guy or my family, anyone really. But I have recently relocated to a different state for a job opportunity. I don’t have family or friends out here and my anxiety level has never been worse…this site helps I like talking to like-minded people.

coyote

I'm 25 y/o. I am in my third and final year of graduate school and a business owner in Pennsylvania. I have been married for about a year and actually have less anxiety around men than women. Women can be so darn mean and judgmental. I get sweaty just calling a supervisor or thinking about it...awful. I start 40 hrs/week in an inpatient rehab hospital in January and then in April start 40 hrs/week in an acute mental health facility. I am looking for ways to hide/stop my sweating of my underarms and hands and also to stop my blushing to make the rehabilitation process nicer for myself and patients. I am also looking for more advice to help my future patients at the mental health facility. Either or both would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Hey everyone,
I’m new to the site as many of you are. I actually have self-diagnosed myself, Monophobia. I love talking to people I love socializing, I thrive in it however once I’m alone…that’s the problem. I hate it I can’t stand it I will do everything in my power to avoid it, may it be by getting together with a girlfriend or a guy or my family, anyone really. But I have recently relocated to a different state for a job opportunity. I don’t have family or friends out here and my anxiety level has never been worse…this site helps I like talking to like-minded people.

Intrama

Yeah, I suppose the solitude finally does 'get' to a person. I'll be lurking here for the next while. 28, borderline personality, and understanding that I probably have a serious social problem.

Guess it's good seeing there are many others who are having problems, eh.. that sounds bad, but yeah.

Oh yeah--hello.

migthymask

Hello there

I'm a guy with SA I'm 29 years old, next 2014 I will get 30 and I'm very sad to reach that age because I think I don't make nothing in this life :(

coyote

Hello there

I'm a guy with SA I'm 29 years old, next 2014 I will get 30 and I'm very sad to reach that age because I think I don't make nothing in this life :(

in 2014, i'll turn 50, and i feel like i'm just warming up - you've got plenty of time to accomplish whatever you want to :thumbup:

Betiol08

Hello guys, Betiol08 here. I´m 24 and really tired of all this fear and anxiety. Just like you guys I´m looking for a way out of this. I´m also graduated and working in a Prepress graphic company, have a really few friends and a lovely girlfriend.

I really apreciate the help they give me, but I want more. I want to be free of this.

Well, nice to meet you all. And thanks for your time!

Hi. I have social anxiety and stuff and have for like... ever since i can remember. It's not as bad as it was when i was a teenager but i still decided to sign up to this forum. I remember being so scared that i would be to afraid to go on a forum like this. It sucks when social anxiety seems so silly yet it can restrict your life and cause you a lot of anguish. I've also suffered from clinical fed-upedness and being in a bad environment. I don't think i have had depression i just think i have suffered from being in a socially adverse environment.

I am going to be visiting this site regularly so you don't need to worry about your response to this post being in vain.

Have a good day and remember that there is someone or something in the world that can solve your problems. Including your social phobias. :p

Jess123

Hi, my name is Jess and social phobia has destroyed my life. I was shy in Primary school, but I could still talk to people and had a good group of friends. However it was when I went to High School that the social phobia and selective mutism really kicked in. Everyday I felt paralyzed with fear and physically sick as I walked into school and would be silent for the entire day. Although people tried to make friends with me, most eventually gave up on me because I look so worried whenever someone tried to start up a conversation. I went to a private school so I wasn't bullied but I had no friends and spent every day in the library. The annoying thing was that outside of school and with my old friends and family I was really loud, bubbly and talkative. It was as though the fear at the school drained me of my personality somehow and I became a different person in that environment. This carried on for four years. I survived by just concentrating on my school work and I got top grades. I was also coping with OCD which made things worse. Every morning I would repeat phrases in my head to try and made things turn out all right. I started causing trouble at home because of my misery at school. I would drink, cut and yell and scream to let the frustration out. It was like being silent all day made everything bubble up when I got home. I was eventually sent to an inpatient unit in year 12 and stayed there for seven weeks. The unit helped in a way because meeting other people my own age who had issues made me feel as though I wasn't alone. I was very talkative on the unit and was basically acting in the opposite way that I was acting in school. This meant that the doctors and nurses didn't really get to the bottom of what was wrong with me. I left feeling a little better and began a new school, hoping that a fresh start would help me to talk to people. I was boarding so I did make a good friend with my room mate but not really with anyone else and the anxiety I faced everyday became unbearable. I took an overdose in my room and had to be taken to the hospital. I have now left that school and am at home everyday. Just going to the supermarket is terrifying for me. I don't know how I am supposed to have a life worth living if I can't talk to anyone and can't make connections. As I am not at school and unable to sit my exams I have applied for Discretionary Entrance into university. If I don't get in I can't see a future for myself. I am desperately searching for something to take the pain away. I want to talk to my GP about Xanax as I have heard it helps with SA but they probably won't prescribe it as it is additive. I am going to kill myself if I don't get into university. Everything is pointless anyway. That is my lovely life story. Sorry for rambling on.

Frozendoll

Hi, I stumbled across this forum and read one post thinking "yep, thats me".
My social anxiety has ruined quite a lot of my enjoyment in life..I struggle all the time.
I am 37 so its fairly embedded. All major life decisions have been affected, i'm even afraid to tackle ones that are supposed to be happy and enjoyable. Plus there is no doctor who can fix your mind, you have to do it yourself.

robbert1210

Hey all,

I'm a 23 year old guy. When I was little, I've always been isolated from other kids and was forbidden from the outside by my mother because she didn't want other people to influence me (my dad was an alcoholic and got thrown out when I was young, never seen him again). By the time I went to school I had trouble fitting in because I didn't know how to communicate with other people. When I was 6, my brother got leukemia and home was always stressful and depressive, I found myself running away into my studies and later on into videogames. My brother survived, but then my father in law got cancer and suffered for another 8 years, with me being there to support him and my mom... I still never had any time to figure out how to make friends and in the meanwhile I got bullied a lot at school, my grades dropped a few times, I gave up on playing piano because they didn't like me practicing at home. So, 18 years old and I didn't have a clue about friends, going out, love, ... only misery and death were around me. The only thing that kept me from suicide was the slight hope of everything getting better and my refuge into studying to keep my mind off everything else. When my father in law died, I managed to make a friend, but he fell to cancer too... I felt pretty broken after that, but it somehow didn't bother me anymore as if my emotions died off. I wanted to be sad for him, but I somehow wasn't able to anymore. Right now, I'm working as a succesfull car technician, I have more money than I need to spend, I'm healthy and strong. I live on my own, far away from anyone I've ever known, hoping for a new start. But I have no idea how I should move on. I still don't meet new people, I'm afraid to go out or maybe it's laziness? I realized I seem to overthink stuff too much, and they keep me from undergoing big changes on my own. I feel like if I ever get out of this damned circle that keeps me in this depression and feeling of non-existence... It's gonna have to be because of someone other than myself. I don't think this is something I can do on my own. But if nobody knows about this, and I never meet anyone, I guess I'll be stuck like this forever.

I don't expect anyone to understand my situation, but I feel a little bit relieved to be able to get this off my chest for the first time in my life.

Last edited:

YellowBird

Hey all,

I'm a 23 year old guy. When I was little, I've always been isolated from other kids and was forbidden from the outside by my mother because she didn't want other people to influence me (my dad was an alcoholic and got thrown out when I was young, never seen him again). By the time I went to school I had trouble fitting in because I didn't know how to communicate with other people. When I was 6, my brother got leukemia and home was always stressful and depressive, I found myself running away into my studies and later on into videogames. My brother survived, but then my father in law got cancer and suffered for another 8 years, with me being there to support him and my mom... I still never had any time to figure out how to make friends and in the meanwhile I got bullied a lot at school, my grades dropped a few times, I gave up on playing piano because they didn't like me practicing at home. So, 18 years old and I didn't have a clue about friends, going out, love, ... only misery and death were around me. The only thing that kept me from suicide was the slight hope of everything getting better and my refuge into studying to keep my mind off everything else. When my father in law died, I managed to make a friend, but he fell to cancer too... I felt pretty broken after that, but it somehow didn't bother me anymore as if my emotions died off. I wanted to be sad for him, but I somehow wasn't able to anymore. Right now, I'm working as a succesfull car technician, I have more money than I need to spend, I'm healthy and strong. I live on my own, far away from anyone I've ever known, hoping for a new start. But I have no idea how I should move on. I still don't meet new people, I'm afraid to go out or maybe it's laziness? I realized I seem to overthink stuff too much, and they keep me from undergoing big changes on my own. I feel like if I ever get out of this damned circle that keeps me in this depression and feeling of non-existence... It's gonna have to be because of someone other than myself. I don't think this is something I can do on my own. But if nobody knows about this, and I never meet anyone, I guess I'll be stuck like this forever.

I don't expect anyone to understand my situation, but I feel a little bit relieved to be able to get this off my chest for the first time in my life.

i'm so sorry you had to endure all this pain and loss,i understand completely..i hope life treats you well from now on.

YellowBird

Hi everyone

It's actually really nerve racking writing on a forum but I am trying a little self therapy! I am 26 and although I have never been diagnosed (too embarrassed to visit GP) I think I suffer from social anxiety! It has ruined my life so far and watching all my friends and my sister get married and live normal life's has made me really depressed! I now feel really guilty for feeling depressed because I should be happy for them! The worst part of it all is the pity! They all feel sorry for me and this makes me feel worse!

However I have decided that I will try to be brave and get out there and I am starting here!

Thank you to everyone who has written something on here! It's nice to find people with issues like me!

hi friend:) i'm 26 as well and my brothers wedding triggered a nervous breakdown in me,i love him to bits,but i'm worried about my life too,which i realised i don't have:/ i started therapy early,it was a bit awkward but not bad,remember you pay them to listen to you and specifically not to judge you,unless they are savages,they wont try to make you feel bad so feel free to say whatever you want as if noone was in the room.

hello everyone..new here and im 34. anyways my story started 3 years ago when i almost got married but it did not push through. we still tried to work out our relationship but the damage was just too much for both us. when she left to work abroad that's when i realized i have no friends(not from here, transferred 10 years ago to get away from drugs back home), only family. tried making friends but they either left for another city or country or are heavy users(using again did not help, made it worst). now im more alone, lost and depressed.

i do what i can to occupy my time with the family business, aside from that i have no interests or hobbies. end of the day, i drink myself to death just to forget how my life turned out. people here know me as the broken, burned out alcoholic weirdo. that makes it harder for me to meet girls or make friends. man i hope change will come cause im on my last legs

Stig23

Hello, I signed up alst night but was to nervious to post anything. Today, still not having a clue what to do I just jumped in but felt very odd after. Then I found this post and feel slightly better lol.
I was diagnosed with SA a couple of years ago but I remember feeling anxious in certain situations and meeting people (was put down to shyness) since I was around 7 or 8, I'm now 23.
After a couple of years on antidepressants I feel slightly less like my head will explode if I am seen in my garden putting the rubbish out or something. I count that as a step up lol. My mum, big brother, sister in law and their kids are great support, and I feel selfish for sometimes wishing for a little bit more in my life. I'm scared but am looking forward to getting to know people on here and hopefully meeting people on here I can call friends.

Susanne

Hi everyone :greeting:

I just joined this forum and found this thread so thought I would say hello. In the past I have joined similar sites but I always find it hard to post and mostly just read what others write:)

I have always had SA but I still try to do what I enjoy such as going to concerts, the cinema, art galleries and travelling but having this condition definitely makes life a lot harder!

Earworm

Hi everyone,
I'm a 37 italian guy (I'm from Monza, northern Italy, near Milan), I've subscribed to this forum because I have been suffering from social phobia since I was born, probably because my father is very introvert and because I have several physical illnesses (First of all I have chronic pain in both my feet because of an operation. I have other physical illnesses as well, and because of them I've Always had problems in socialization).
Excuse me if I've done many mistakes, but I'm italian.

Allocco

Hi everybody! (it's me or I think only the newbies read this thread? Anyway XD)
I've mutuated from the italian social phobia board, we'll move all on this site in... dunno... 48 hours, so be aware!
Kidding... ehm...
I am just a strange guy with a lot of deep problems that almost nobody can see.
I am a deception master in micro social contexts because I pretty much hate to be labeled in most of ways.
This doesn't prevent me to fail in many aspects of my life or.. at least, it did not prevented,
because luckily it's like 2 years that I toke my life with another spirit and slowly resettling it.
Mmmm... dunno, i like movies, videogames, I mean, I am a real 90's guy so I like all the stuff that YOU (reader!) like: muuuusic, moooovies, videogaaaames, watching tiviiiiiiii and so on...
The fact that I am italian makes automatically me a cooking expert so if you need some cooking advice pm me.
:bat::bat::bat:
(I did too much idiot jokes in this post? And it' not my native language!
Imagine if you were able to read my italian posts! Oh my lucky you..!)
That's it, i'll eclipse myself! :moderator:

Last edited: