A Place to Introduce Yourself

lucysnowe

I'm 18 and I've had SA for as long as I can remember (I've never been diagnosed, though). I'm living at home and going to community college.

I've never had anyone to discuss my SA with, so I'm glad to have found this place. :)

SocialWreck

Life stinks.

Im not good at this stuff so excuse me if I get this wrong.

I am 36 NZ Male that has been through absolute hell.

I suffered PTSD through an employer making my life unbearable and ended up loosing the ability to speak for several months and had to learn to talk again as I suffered sever stuttering when I got my speach back.

I have suffered stress related issues since and was only put on medication within the last year which has helped a lot; however I have problems with dealing with other people espesc employers as I am now so anxious about even going for an interview with the absolute fear that I am going to be treated the same way again even at the interveiw stage.

My most recent job which lasted 3 years I was made redunant from due to restructuring where they turned two part time jobs into 1 3/4 time job for 55% of the money and overtime with no extra pay and was so taylored to another person working there that it wasnt funny.

Thus now I am out of work, not looking forward at all to going to a single job interveiw let alone as many as it takes a job.

I am also depressed, I dont like to leave the house, I dont like dealing with anyone but my wife I cant even handle talking to my freinds any more as it seems the endlessly gibber about whats happening with them and dont give a damn about listening to me at all regardless if im talking about the wether or the problems Im having.

I hate grocery shopping in fact I cant handle going out at all I feel nausious, hot and disoriented.

I never used to feel this way I was a confident, Vibrant go geter that only planned as far as the next goal and would deal with any problems as they came along.

Now i have problems deciding if I should make a cup of coffee or not.

Thus the nickname.

I am a SocialWreck :(

and i feel completely useless, discarded and lost.

loneEAGLE

8) hello all
ive been looking around this site for about a month now and finally decided to post..
im a 30 yr old m from new jersey and never heard of social anxiety/phobias till about a year ago when i finally started looking for answers, i mean anxiety sounds a whole lot better than shyness maybe it was an ego thing,a grown man being shy im not 8 years old!! i recently started going to theripy to see a "professional" who in 2 visits has given me a whole lot of "just try harder" bullshit well butt at least a step in the right direction ill see how it goes.anyway ive delt with this my whole life..its all i know and untill recently never been able to understand it ,im an only child maybe this had something to do with it.seeing other people who are dealing with this makes it a little more comforting.btw this site rules it ,helps a lot of people
thanks

poker

hello everybody here. Happend to find this site, i am not the only one suffering from this really stupid weakness any more. I m 24 ys Male . Im haunted by SP since from my highschool and cannot overcome it even now.
I feel so bad!

Mildsauce

Grr...a guy shouldn't have to work up the nerve to introduce himself on an anonymous internet forum o_O

That pretty much sums it up though. I'm 24 and for as long as I can remember people terrify me. More like the interactions between us, not the people themselves. I love people! I just don't like having to interact with them, if that makes sense. I'm in an odd sort of place. I have a job, I can keep a job (usually), I love this job, even though I work with tons of people it's different. In my position I talk to so many people, but they talk to the position, not me. It's only when they do that I freak out. So in that way I coast through life holding down a job. *shrug*

I don't know, I have friends. I just hate making them. Anyway, I don't know where I was going with this intro ^_^;; but, yeah, I'm terrified right now so, a pleasure to meet you all and I hope I can contribute to this community in some way.

hi all

I'm 35 and just tonight I read the description of AvPD (found at http://www.toad.net/~arcturus/dd/avoid.htm) and it was the first time that it felt like someone was describing me personally. I have few friends and the ones I do have I don't feel I can confide my true feelings to, having found that most people think I'm nuts because I'm so full of anxiety. Then I found this site and now I can only hope that being able to talk about this problem will benefit all of us. Most people can't even begin to understand how we feel, in much the same way that I can't understand how they can sail through their lives, interacting with others easily and without sweaty palms. Thank goodness for the internet, where we can meet others of like mind, because I'm sure most of us spend more time with our computers than with other humans!

Looking forward to spending time with y'all...
:)

Sierra

Hi, everybody!

I just joined this forum today, but I've been lurking around for a while. I'm a 14 year old female starting high school this year, and I've had social anxiety since the start of 6th grade. So it's been just three years, but boy, does it feel longer than that!

I was confident in elementary school, but in middle school, something just...snapped. I felt like I couldn't socialize with anyone; I couldn't even raise my hand in class to answer a question in fear that people would look my way. Even if someone would sit down next to me and say a simple "hi," I'd shrivel into my chair, avoid eye contact, and just couldn't answer back!

It's gone on for two years of one school, and then my family moved at the start of last year, so I had to go to a new school at the beginning of 8th grade. I felt like I got even worse following the move, hence not knowing any faces at all made it worse. I was unbearably shy, and when someone would try to talk to me, I started to stutter and perspire. I'd often go to the nurse flushed, crying, and feeling horrible in the stomache atleast two times a week because my nerves rattled me that badly.

My mom has sent me to a couple of doctors and psycologists about it, and yeah... they confirmed that I have high anxiety. I'm on a trial of medication now, but I still can't help feel horrible in school or when I go out of the house. I'm a straight A student and everything, but I feel as if my SA is too much for me. It's making me panic or feel dizzy constantly.

Anyway, I'm so glad I found this forum, and I'll be sure to have a good time here! (and excuse me if my intro was long-- I didn't know I could type that much!) :p

Claude

Greetings! I'm an 18 year old student now headed into my first year of university. I'm really looking forward to the experience! I've made some really great friends over the years and have had some wonderful experiences despite the fact that I am inherently shy. I love physical activity and have trained in karate (where I achieved black belt status) and have just started powerlifting (training, not competing). Currently, my modest powerlifting personal records are a 280 pound bench press, 400 pound deadlift and a 350 pound squat (although my squat numbers are increasing rapidly due to the fact that I have only recently started training that lift). All of these lifts were completed raw at a weight of 174 pounds after about 1 year of training, not bad, but it could be better. Once I reach the 300, 400, 400 mark, I hope to compete locally. I'm also (generally) a straight A student who just recently graduated from high school with an entrepreneurial subject award, honours and a scholarship. However, with all of the positive things going on in my life, the one negative thing that hurts the most is the fact that I don't have much of a social life. When all of my friends and acquaintances are out partying and having a great time, you can usually find me slaving away on the treadmill, or repping out bench sets, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love physical activity, but because I train at home with a gym set up in my basement, it gets a little lonely..... I just wish I could get out more. With my security guard job approaching and my eventual application to the army reserves, I should have a little more money in the future...but wait! Then I remember I'm a shy person! Darn! Looks like I'll just have to save that money to buy more weights instead of go out with my friends! It will all pay off in the end though right.....RIGHT 8O!? Nice to meet you all and I hope to speak to you again in the future!

Best of wishes! Claude (if that is my real name..... :wink: ).
and yes I’m from earth 2.

Coral

Hi, I'm from the UK & have just this week discovered that social phobias are an actual illness & can be treated! I've always just thought I was shy in group situations, but it's so refreshing to find I'm not alone :) (tho obviously it's not the best way to feel that!)
My main problem is presentations, etc in group contexts :/ School & uni were a nightmare in this respect. I blush SO easily (at times even putting it down to being a redhead!) & this is what makes it the most frightening for me. It's really prevented me from joining societies or even doing a more demanding job. However, I've decided to apply to become a teacher - I'm not gonna let this beat me!

Blue_Butterfly

I just wanted to say Hello to everyone! :wink:

I just stumbled onto this forum last night, wish I had found this place sooner, but better late than never, right?!

I didn't realize there were so many people out there who are in a similar situation. It makes me feel better to know I'm not alone.

Cuz, who likes being and feeling alone? Well, most of us do, but, we do it because we feel we "have" to in order to keep our stress at bay.

Well, we can all be and feel alone together, while overcoming this.

Thanks for havin' me!

kazzaa

Hi !
i am new, just joined this site. i was on another not so active one, but will be around prob quite a bit here!!
i live in Hertfordshire (UK), 27 single with 2 kids (10&7) hate social situations, suffer with slight panice attacks occasionally. not sure what else to say but hi to everyone. :roll:

thetaomega

Hello all!

Hello, all!

I've lurked and posted on other kinds of forums in the past, but this is the first time I've decided to post in a forum like this. I'm shuttling back and forth between Cambridge (MA, USA) and California (USA), a biotechnologist, in my late 20s, single, painfully love-shy (never dated nor kissed a girl before), and find it difficult to navigate through all the nuances and complexity inherent in social interactions and interpersonal relationships. From what I've read so far, it sounds like I've found a good and supportive community to commiserate on all our challenges in our personalities and lives. I hope that, by helping each other, we will gain wisdom and hopefully ultimately overcome our challenges.

Thanks for having me around!

-thetaomega

TAMPA-BAY

My official introducton

Hi you've probally been wondering who that TAMPA-BAY user is; well its me. I am not totally new but i keept talking my self out making my intro.

Does anyone have a guess of how many of us they are? thousands?millions?I am curious to here your guess please.

shycrab

Hello, my name is Shycrab. HI!, Shycrab.

I've been observing this site for awhile I see there has been plenty of helpful and positive advice and ideas given out to overcome our shyness.

My shyness has revolve alot around my minor physical differences as I've grown up. First, it was my eye. I always felt awakward when asked about it for I didn't have an explanation. Now its my voice is I'm 20 now, perharps late puberty. Like some here I guess, during the younger years I sounded more confident then in the present. Plus, my parents marriage fallen apart probably isn't a good influence.

Well, remember we'll all in this together. I'm pulling for yous:)

maude_lynn

Hi there, folks.

I just moved to Edmonton from Toronto, and I'm having a really tough time at the moment, as I don't know a soul in town, and have difficulties meeting people on account of my social anxiety disorder.

I was diagnosed earlier this year, but haven't had a chance to access any sort of support or therapy. I just stumbled across this website while searching for support groups in the area, so I thought I'd say hello.

So...hello!

SYNAPSE

Hello. . . I come from a conspicuously similar forum in another language. I just stumbled upon this one and decided to join so as to read different stories and practice my English a little bit. . .

I'm not sure if I can easily be classified as someone with "social phobia". . . I hope you don't mind; I'm not into being strict about classifications anyway. . . I have one or two key traits of love-shyness.

I'm 25 and basically thrived in every endeavour other social and personal relationships (I keep fit, I have a uni degree, I enjoy literature and music and I'm usually into various things simultaneously at any given time period, I go out to do things on my own often, etc. . . I cringe at the thought of talking to a stranger). I'm very awkward and shy at first but even if I get through that, I then tend to get actively ostracized/mobbed in certain group situations. . .

Anonymous

Dasx

Thanks you ! _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _