a party coming up, what to do?

now this party is for a 18 y/o girl from the school i use to go to with her.
the problem is, parties are like my biggest fears aswell as socal gatherings, and so i will be able to get to the party but for the last two others i went to i did shit all, couldn't talk to anyone anxiety kicked in overtime and just left.

this timei dont wanna let this happen, i'm gona look decent enough but i dono how to get into the party mood when everyone is around. i was planning on alcohol but i'm gaining resistance to it.

whats worse is i now just realised, i haven't talked girl for a long time, last time i got to know a girl 1 on 1 it was before puberty or early in it.

this sucks, i wanna be normal but dono how to change

anyone can give me any pointers?

Spfreezes

Try propranolol. Take half of a 40mg pill about half an hour before you get there and just wait until your anxiety goes away.

Satine

You've a resistance to alcohol? My experience of it has always been that if you don't drink for a while, your resistance goes down. Is it worth steering clear of the alcohol between now and the party?

I guess there are a few ways of dealing with this issue. My opinion is that you should go to the party, by the way. I reckon the best thing you can do is thumb your nose at the social anxiety: either go and deliberately not talk to anybody, just enjoy the drink, hearing other people chat and the music. If someone comes up to you to speak then fair enough, talk to them, but if you just want to hear some music then why not make that your primary aim?

Otherwise, feel the fear and do it anyway: go and talk to someone even though you feel nervous. Not an easy thing to do, but you might find that it's easier than you think.

Or, you could look for a subgroup that forms, and filter into it so that you're part of the circle. Other people'll talk and at least one person will always have something to say. Then, if someone occurs to you, say it. But if not, the others will be your cover.

parties are like my biggest fears aswell as socal gatherings, and so i will be able to get to the party but for the last two others i went to i did shit all, couldn't talk to anyone anxiety kicked in overtime and just left.

this timei dont wanna let this happen, i'm gona look decent enough but i dono how to get into the party mood when everyone is around. i was planning on alcohol but i'm gaining resistance to it.

For many social phobes, just leaving the house or trying to talk to a stranger can be extremely difficult. And parties... I don't think I can think of anything more intimidating than a party! Now, I know these fears are largely irrational, but that doesn't make it any easier.

That's great that you are determined to go to this party. Honestly though I wouldn't worry too much about getting into the party mood. If you do, that's great! But do you really want that to be your base goal? Is any other result deemed a failure? That would be overly harsh. Set a reasonable goal. Maybe your goal is to stay at the party for a set period of time. Maybe it is to talk to 4 people. Maybe it's to control your anxiety better than last time through relaxation techniques.

I would recommend avoiding alcohol. It does lower your inhibitions but it doesn't help you learn how to deal with your anxiety, and it doesn't build your resistence to negative feelings in these situations in the long run.

There's no reason for you to change yourself in any way at all, just try to be yourself. Think of it this way; the girl you used to know invited you to her party because she likes you and enjoys your company! She wouldn't have invited you otherwise, so just be yourself. Easier said than done for a social phobe though, I know.

I think toothpastekisses is well-intentioned, but I have to disagree on the specifics. If we are not happy with ourselves, shouldn't we try to change? Some people believe that identity is a fundamental quality. It is something we are born with and we cannot change it. The best we can do is accept it. I believe that identity is constructed, and that we are whoever we choose to be. For most people this means being what they've been before. Nothing's easier than sticking to what you know.

So while the oft-used phrase "just be yourself" is a bit misguiding, it is rooted in truth. You shouldn't conform to others' expectations. You shouldn't act like something you don't believe in. I think a more useful phrase is "be true to yourself, whatever you choose to be."

I guess there are a few ways of dealing with this issue. My opinion is that you should go to the party, by the way. I reckon the best thing you can do is thumb your nose at the social anxiety: either go and deliberately not talk to anybody, just enjoy the drink, hearing other people chat and the music. If someone comes up to you to speak then fair enough, talk to them, but if you just want to hear some music then why not make that your primary aim?

Otherwise, feel the fear and do it anyway: go and talk to someone even though you feel nervous. Not an easy thing to do, but you might find that it's easier than you think.

Or, you could look for a subgroup that forms, and filter into it so that you're part of the circle. Other people'll talk and at least one person will always have something to say. Then, if someone occurs to you, say it. But if not, the others will be your cover.

I agree with Satine. If you feel like talking to people, cool! If not, no big deal, and you can still congratulate yourself for facing your fears. Seriously, set your expectations ridiculously low :). You can always do more, and you won't set yourself up for failure. If you want to eventually be comfortable at and even enjoy parties, you're going to have to expose yourself to quite a few first! Others have been exposed to tons of parties and don't have to deal with social anxiety. Treat your situation like a game, an adventure, and a learning experience. Accept that you won't be comfortable at first, but know that you are choosing the path that takes courage, and your efforts will be rewarded. Good luck!

Havocan

Alcohol kills the SA pretty much no matter what the circumstances are. Just be careful, don't get sloshed, puke and regret your actions the upcoming day. If you choose not to drink I'd actually advise you not to go there since it basically is very boring being at a party and not be drinking but just standing there. Unless you know the others except for the girl well too.

SickJoke

I think toothpastekisses is well-intentioned, but I have to disagree on the specifics. If we are not happy with ourselves, shouldn't we try to change? Some people believe that identity is a fundamental quality. It is something we are born with and we cannot change it. The best we can do is accept it. I believe that identity is constructed, and that we are whoever we choose to be. For most people this means being what they've been before. Nothing's easier than sticking to what you know.

So while the oft-used phrase "just be yourself" is a bit misguiding, it is rooted in truth. You shouldn't conform to others' expectations. You shouldn't act like something you don't believe in. I think a more useful phrase is "be true to yourself, whatever you choose to be."

I think the most useful phrase is "Be your BEST self."

Look, you're going to this party to have fun, right? So let's make it fun. Let's change the focus from "How to not be anxious :confused:"
TO "How to have fun :D"

Here are some things you can try:

-Self amusement is POWERFUL. Act as nervous as you possibly can. Make a joke out of it, for your own amusement, NOT for the benefit of others. Introduce yourself to someone, put your hand out to greet them, and make your hand REALLY shaky. Stutter when you talk. Say embarrassing things about yourself. Tell them you peed your pants on the way to the party because you were so nervous. Tell them the only woman you've ever kissed is your mom.

-I'm assuming there will be alcohol at this party, right? Go completely SOBER, don't drink anything. ACT like you're totally shitfaced. Slur your speech, stumble around when you walk. Fall flat on your face on the carpet (don't break anything :D). Retreat to the bathroom and make exaggerated puking noises. Pretend to be the drunken ladies' man, smooth talker. Saddle up to a random girl and put your arm around her and plaster a goofy drunken smile on your face and say "Yeah, I saw you starin at me from across the room. You wanna kiss me don't you?" No matter what her reaction is, pretend to take it as a compliment. Just smile and nod "Yeah, I thought so."

It's all about SELF AMUSEMENT. Just have fun with it :D

thanks you all! i seriously mean it. all great and long answers!
i havne't drunken in over a month!!! so we shall see
yeh i always have thoughts like that, doin random stuff like that to girls but i jst never do
and no i'm not gona go in the bathroom pretending to puke lol
i will try to have fun tho and force myself to be spontanious.

before someone coments. dont let me saying im gona force myself sound like i'm punishing myself, its just a way to break from routine or comfort zones but as you can see at the moment i'm all talk....

when i said i wanted to change me, i meant as like i still will be me, always have, always will but as we all know S.A inhibits this and if i get rid of it or atleast i come out of my cocoon better i will change infront of everyone else.

i'll let you guys know what happens wether it'll be a boring night i leave early or i get to score:D;)

Elad

Banned
If all the above advice fails, just roll up on your crocodile son cause nothing says confidence like a guy riding a crocodile

1222066747418.gif

Last edited:

DaaaBulls

Use it as practice. If you never get out there then you will never learn how to deal with your fears. I was scared to just go to work, but I realized that I just have to use work as practice to be around people. Don't expect to go and make no mistakes, every time you say something you feel was stupid or do something just laugh at yourself and move on to the next encounter. Go with the mindset that your going to practice being around people, that you don't really care what these people think, and know your going to slip up but just laugh at it and learn from it. Try.