A new beginning.

jonas89

So now it's just a week until I will leave my home country and move abroad for studies and maybe work too.
I see this is a new beginning on life / fresh start, I feel so tired here and kinda lonely tho I have great friends and family.
But Im leaving everything old and known to everything new and unknown.

I have never been abroad in my life and never really lived on my own, so this a huge step for me and Im starting to feel the pressure,,
I just went for my best friend wedding last weekend and manage to say byes to some friends there, but then I met my friend again to say a proper bye and I just kinda feel so sad now from it and yet I still need to say farewell to a few more friends and then my family. I can't imagine how that will be.

Im starting to feel the pressure on going out, I really can't relax or sleep properly or eat because my stomach feels always upset.

I feel the anxiety kicking in just going out and find my way around and getting my apartment and all that stuff.
But to make it more stressful for me is that a online friend that I have seen once in my life, Im going to meet again when Im there. She is flying pretty long way to another country, but the she wants to just a make a flight to come and see me for about like 10 hours in Denmark and go back then.
I know it's great to have a friend who wants to make that much afford for you, but I just have never had anyone who is willing to do that for me and Im so anxious that I will disappoint her somehow and that is what is making it so much stressful for me going out right now, because it change my plan really much that I was comfortable with.

But anyway, I hope everyone on here are doing good, been a while since I have been active on here.

Phoenixx

Wow, jonas! What a step! Also, welcome back!

I've always wanted to study abroad. I have really been considering it myself, the next college I apply to I would love to have the option to go elsewhere for a semester (or more..?) to pursue my interests and study. I've never left the country either, so I know if I ever managed to leave elsewhere I'd be very nervous, yet excited. I think it's awesome you're taking this step and making a new start for yourself. Good luck and please let us know how everything goes! :perfect:

SamD

Sounds like a very, very positive change you're making. Might seem uncertain now but people rarely regret taking risks such as the one you are taking.

Best of luck with it!

Sam - SocialAnxietySolved.com

Steelsoul

You're making a big step forward to put aside the past and move on with your life. Don't worry, just relax, i'm sure you'll handle it well. Good luck.

jonas89

Wow, jonas! What a step! Also, welcome back!

I've always wanted to study abroad. I have really been considering it myself, the next college I apply to I would love to have the option to go elsewhere for a semester (or more..?) to pursue my interests and study. I've never left the country either, so I know if I ever managed to leave elsewhere I'd be very nervous, yet excited. I think it's awesome you're taking this step and making a new start for yourself. Good luck and please let us know how everything goes! :perfect:

Thank you :)

I took this decision more then a year ago. I have alway heard just good things about this and everyone been really happy when they go there.
Just these last few days have been killing me with anxiety about going out, I dont feel that excitement about it now, I just over think everything now and think like I will screw something up and stuff like that,,

More to the story is when I land in Denmark my friend will be waiting there and we are going to spend the day together, and then at night she will go to oslo and I have to take a train to the city I will be studying in. I will be in my city at 4am and then I have to wait until the campus opens so I can get my keys, and then later that same day I will get my belongings send home.. just so much what I have to do just in like 24 hours,, and it's kinda nerve wracking when this is you first time abroad, and when you're completely alone hahaha :D

But thanks everyone for your answers.

I will keep this updated :)

Hey Jonas! Great to hear from you :) and I'm so happy for you, you're doing something realllly huuge. I hope you'll be on here keeping us updated on how it goes :)

It sounds like a really busy 24 hours! But there is internet access to be found everywhere in the world so if you need to come on here and have a little panic at some point in the day and get some reassurance, we'll be here :)

PrincessKitty

I have never been abroad in my life and never really lived on my own, so this a huge step for me and Im starting to feel the pressure,,
I just went for my best friend wedding last weekend and manage to say byes to some friends there, but then I met my friend again to say a proper bye and I just kinda feel so sad now from it and yet I still need to say farewell to a few more friends and then my family. I can't imagine how that will be.

Im starting to feel the pressure on going out, I really can't relax or sleep properly or eat because my stomach feels always upset.

I feel the anxiety kicking in just going out and find my way around and getting my apartment and all that stuff.
But to make it more stressful for me is that a online friend that I have seen once in my life, Im going to meet again when Im there. She is flying pretty long way to another country, but the she wants to just a make a flight to come and see me for about like 10 hours in Denmark and go back then.
I know it's great to have a friend who wants to make that much afford for you, but I just have never had anyone who is willing to do that for me and Im so anxious that I will disappoint her somehow and that is what is making it so much stressful for me going out right now, because it change my plan really much that I was comfortable with.

But anyway, I hope everyone on here are doing good, been a while since I have been active on here.

But your taking a huge step, and think about all the adventures you will have. I would love to go on my own and live on my own. For me I can't wait!
But I understand about the anxitey. I know its a huge step.

And your friend, well :bigsmile: at least you know who your bestfriends are. and you can show her around the place of where you live. Just think about that.

I hope you have a good time where you live. Take care!

jonas89

Hi Jonas. Love your dancing cat. You are going to have the time of your life!
Thank you : )
Hey Jonas! Great to hear from you :) and I'm so happy for you, you're doing something realllly huuge. I hope you'll be on here keeping us updated on how it goes : )

It sounds like a really busy 24 hours! But there is internet access to be found everywhere in the world so if you need to come on here and have a little panic at some point in the day and get some reassurance, we'll be here : )
Thank you very much. I will probably be alone for the first few days, so I will keep this updated :)
But your taking a huge step, and think about all the adventures you will have. I would love to go on my own and live on my own. For me I can't wait!
But I understand about the anxitey. I know its a huge step.

And your friend, well :bigsmile: at least you know who your bestfriends are. and you can show her around the place of where you live. Just think about that.

I hope you have a good time where you live. Take care!
Thank you : ) well I will just be in the capital for few hours and she wanted to she me again even tho it would just be for those few hours, so I can say I'm lucky with finding a such a good person just from the internet : D

Thanks for all the answers : ) Take care all and stay safe : )

jonas89

Okay so to those who still want to know about my adventure on moving abroad.

I got to Copenhagen, Denmark on the 24th. It has been really tiring since I got here.. When I landed at the airport I waited for an hour for my friend and then we rent a car and looked around the city :)

Then at night I had to leave for the train to the city that I will live in (Sønderborg) around 23:00 and was here 04:00 haha,, I was really tired and hadn't slept since I left my home, I couldn't find a place to stay at or anything, so I had to walk alone around the city until my campus would open so I could get my keys for the apartment which was around 10:00. Then I thought I could finally get some rest but then I couldn't because I was expecting my belongings from Iceland at the same day,, they were suppose to call when they were here, but my phone made a decision to give up, so I had to be constantly on alert fro the truck to arrive..
These days have been really stressful. both because the phone is not working and also my Credit card work sometimes and sometimes not.

But now Im just trying to settle in here, and trying to find things and go around.. it's really different for me being so extremely independent,, living alone, first time abroad, and also I have to learn a new language and be around just new people.. I have no friends or relative to count on,, just only me now..

Best regards Jonas

Phoenixx

Despite the difficulties it sounds like you're handling everything pretty well. If I was in your shoes right now, I'd already be freaking out. I still have a long way to go before I'm ever 100% independent.

neardeath

Saying goodbye will be hard, but you will love the people and the surroundings there so much that everything will be exciting. I guarantee it.
So go have the time of your life!

I'm flying tomorrow for The Netherlands, i have it a bit more easy than you, I can speak Dutch and have families there. But I will be living in an apartment with 3 or 4 students. I have waited so long for this day, I'm excited to start school this September, really.

jonas89

well this is getting easier now, especially when I have a proper bed now to sleep in and also my credit card is working.

But then there are always new things coming up haha, Like I rented a car for one day and they offered 90 Euros
Couple of days later I checked my bank account and they wanted 260 Euro and I went to nearest dealer and they said there was a parking fine on the car, however they could not show me the fine or tell me where the fine was written or what street.
So I dont think it's fair that I should pay for something when I can't see the evidence.

Then on Tuesday I woke up sick, so I went to my bed again and tried to sleep, then an hour later there was knocked on my door and it was the truck driver that came with my belongings last week and he said that he had another pallet for me. That didn't ad up because I only shipped out one pallet, but I went out and looked at it and there stood this table among six chairs with it with my name on it hahaha :D
To bad I just couldn't fit into my a little apartment.

jonas89

Here in The Netherlands there's a fine for every damn thing you do.

yeah.. well I mean, why should I pay for a fine if they can't tell me for what and can't show me the ticket ? they didn't send me a mail, they didn't call me to let my know or anything,, they just made a bill and then send it on my credit card.