Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-04-2018
lifesnotfair's Avatar
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
lifesnotfair lifesnotfair is offline
Intermediate User
lifesnotfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
All throughout my life, I have been called, creepy, a reject, a loser, scary looking, ugly, among other things. I have been called so many names and other adjectives that I have begun to actually believe it, and therefore turning into those things that people have called me. Its been almost hard coded into me. And i am worried that some more specific descriptions may be who i might turn into because of all the past abuse.

I am doing my best not to believe what was said, but when you are called ugly and a loser, and a creep, and other descriptive wording, you have to wonder if its too late. I don't know what to do, because talking to counsellors, psychiatrists, doctors, etc.. haven;t been able to help me with this.
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018
lily's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,392
Thanked 187 Times
lily lily is offline
Elite User
lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,392
Thanked 187 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesnotfair View Post
All throughout my life, I have been called, creepy, a reject, a loser, scary looking, ugly, among other things. I have been called so many names and other adjectives that I have begun to actually believe it, and therefore turning into those things that people have called me. Its been almost hard coded into me. And i am worried that some more specific descriptions may be who i might turn into because of all the past abuse.

I am doing my best not to believe what was said, but when you are called ugly and a loser, and a creep, and other descriptive wording, you have to wonder if its too late. I don't know what to do, because talking to counsellors, psychiatrists, doctors, etc.. haven;t been able to help me with this.
what were they calling you a creep for?
lily is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,830
Thanked 592 Times
FountainandFairfax FountainandFairfax is offline
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,830
Thanked 592 Times
I get like that if I go too long without socializing.

I don't have any confidence or a solid idea of who I am, so without affirmation that I'm a worthwhile person I tend to get sucked into a self-doubting spiral where I question everything about myself. All the negative things start to bubble-up from the cellar and before long I'm convinced that I'm just a lowlife.

I have a friend from high school I hang out with every three months or so, and a cousin whose house I visit a couple of times a week, so that helps to keep me on track.

Are you able to hang out with anyone or have anywhere you can go where you feel comfortable socializing?

If not, maybe you should talk to your therapist about this.
__________________
Last of The V8 Introverts
FountainandFairfax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FountainandFairfax For This Useful Post:
LoyalXenite (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018
vj288's Avatar
Grand champion orangutan wrangler, welterweight class
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the waves...
Posts: 4,042
Thanked 224 Times
vj288 vj288 is offline
Grand champion orangutan wrangler, welterweight class
Elite User
vj288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the waves...
Posts: 4,042
Thanked 224 Times
I would try to own and redefine the words. You get to decide who you are, not the rest of the world. You're a creep? Fine, so is Radiohead and they are pretty awesome. A loser? Well, let me direct you to another awesome person in Beck. And when it comes to rejects there is a whole band full of All-American ones who are also pretty awesome.

If you associate the words with things that are good, then it is those things you will think of when you are called them, and it is them you will become.
__________________
I'm a stranger to myself

"If you don't imagine, then nothing ever happens at all"
vj288 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vj288 For This Useful Post:
LoyalXenite (08-04-2018), Pacific_Loner (08-10-2018)
Old 08-04-2018
LoyalXenite's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,787
Thanked 97 Times
LoyalXenite LoyalXenite is offline
Elite User
LoyalXenite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,787
Thanked 97 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj288 View Post
I would try to own and redefine the words. You get to decide who you are, not the rest of the world. You're a creep? Fine, so is Radiohead and they are pretty awesome. A loser? Well, let me direct you to another awesome person in Beck. And when it comes to rejects there is a whole band full of All-American ones who are also pretty awesome.

If you associate the words with things that are good, then it is those things you will think of when you are called them, and it is them you will become.
I love this. Its actually something I've been trying to do with varied results because its not easy to get my mind to cooperate with me
__________________
Iíll Remember You Though,
I Remember Everyone Who Leaves
LoyalXenite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoyalXenite For This Useful Post:
vj288 (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018
lifesnotfair's Avatar
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
lifesnotfair lifesnotfair is offline
Intermediate User
lifesnotfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
what were they calling you a creep for?
Everything and anything. I don't do anything that i am aware that is creepy, just people look at me as being a creep.
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018
lifesnotfair's Avatar
Intermediate User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
lifesnotfair lifesnotfair is offline
Intermediate User
lifesnotfair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 278
Thanked 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by FountainandFairfax View Post
I get like that if I go too long without socializing.

I don't have any confidence or a solid idea of who I am, so without affirmation that I'm a worthwhile person I tend to get sucked into a self-doubting spiral where I question everything about myself. All the negative things start to bubble-up from the cellar and before long I'm convinced that I'm just a lowlife.

I have a friend from high school I hang out with every three months or so, and a cousin whose house I visit a couple of times a week, so that helps to keep me on track.

Are you able to hang out with anyone or have anywhere you can go where you feel comfortable socializing?

If not, maybe you should talk to your therapist about this.
I have been dealing with therapists for 20 years.. Nothing has helped greatly.
lifesnotfair is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018
lily's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,392
Thanked 187 Times
lily lily is offline
Elite User
lily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,392
Thanked 187 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesnotfair View Post
Everything and anything. I don't do anything that i am aware that is creepy, just people look at me as being a creep.
if you don't do anything that's creepy then don't worry about being a creep.
lily is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,168
Thanked 157 Times
Pacific_Loner Pacific_Loner is offline
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,168
Thanked 157 Times
People usually build their self esteem as a child and that's what give them the confidence to navigate through life as an adult. When you grow up thinking you are worthless, you don't build that self esteem as a child, and your biggest challenge will be to build it as an adult, which is more difficult because you have to deconstruct the mess that has been done in your head and then construct something better on the ruins that will be solid enough so that the ruins underneath don't come back to haunt you. But yes it's possible.
__________________

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Krishnamurti
Pacific_Loner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pacific_Loner For This Useful Post:
LoyalXenite (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,830
Thanked 592 Times
FountainandFairfax FountainandFairfax is offline
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,830
Thanked 592 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily View Post
if you don't do anything that's creepy then don't worry about being a creep.
KFC needs to introduce an "Extra Creepy Colonel."

__________________
Last of The V8 Introverts
FountainandFairfax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018
Jungle's Avatar
Spamming his way to Elite user
Expert User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Western Europe / Origin : North Africa
Posts: 570
Thanked 142 Times
Jungle Jungle is offline
Spamming his way to Elite user
Expert User
Jungle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Western Europe / Origin : North Africa
Posts: 570
Thanked 142 Times
I got that in both middle school and high school, it was really bothersome and embarrassing to be called a name I didn't like, especially around people I wanted to earn respect from, because it would discredit you.

My policy has always been the same when it comes to bullies and people who are trying to bring you down in school, it involves my leg and their genitals, it usually is the best thing to do, because you're not stooping to their level (which, for that matter would be even lower after them being kicked there)
Jungle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your favourite names WeirdyMcGee Off-Topic 25 03-26-2014 04:40 AM
How do you make up names? FriendlyShadow Social Anxiety Forum 4 04-14-2013 04:53 AM
what names did or do get called at school? Panther Pictures Forum 62 11-10-2011 02:01 AM
How bad are you with remembering names? Endymion Social Anxiety Forum 43 10-06-2009 03:28 AM

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
Contact Us Privacy