You're a nice guy, BUT...

Any other guys get this a lot? It seems whenever I start liking a girl and I ask her out or something I always get the "You're a nice guy but..." as a response!

Should I not be a nice guy?? Because it seems to me that nice guys finish last...

I know that when I'm like 30 all the ladies will be all over me because they'll wanna settle down, but I don't wanna wait that long!!! I NEED A GIRLFRIEND RIGHT NOW OR HEADS ARE GONNA ROLL >:0

Havocan

Nice guys always finish last. You have to become more confident in yourself, start telling jokes, have a little "push-the-girl-away-attitude", and show her you're also a catch. If all you do is being nice to her all the time and not give her any challenges she'll automatically start seeing you as boring and eventually ditch you {this has happened to me a lot of times}.

It's always hard to kind of exhibit a lack of interest {only to some degree though} in front of a cute girl and they always sense when you're feigning your mood, so don't try to be an actor. Just chill, relax and be "nice" in the way you are towards your mates.

Wow, I can't believe I actually wrote so much about something I don't know anything about^^. Hope it can help you anyway.

Patrick123

When they say 'you're a nice guy, but...', they really mean 'I appreciate your kind demeanor, but you're a pussy.'

Aliteration aside, I don't mean to be a dick -and you don't have to be one either. You need to figure out how to be nice AND assertive/authoratative -the benevolent dictator, if you will...

no1

Banned
well.. because girls are such impressionable beings... whatever character you portray that is similar to what they see on TV, they tend to interpret you as.

For example if you look like the loser the TV or Movies or any media portray, they will think you are a loser.

Simple as that.

Sad thing is in this new age of the media, and journalism... people are complicit in creating their own ideas of reality which are far from the truth.

People would rather have their reality interpretted by so called "experts" rather than experience the truth for themselves.

Ubersonic

I think they just use the "nice guy" line as a nice way of rejecting you. It feels bad to just say "no" to somebody. They are trying to protect everybody's feelings in the nicest way possible.

I got asked out once when I was in high school. I just said "uh, no". I felt bad afterword. She started to blamed herself for me not liking her. 6 years later, I still feel bad about it. I wish I had a nice explanation for her. From this experience I understand why girls use this line.

xSleepy

exactly! ^

Even if the guy was an asshole id still say... youre a nice guy and stuff but blah blah blah...

maybe thats part of my social phobia though. id be too anxious and uncomfortable telling a guy hes an asshole and to leave me the hell alone. id rather just let him down easily or just ignore him and hope he goes away

so yea when a girl says 'you're a nice guy but i don't wanna date you' or whatever, it doesn't mean she doesn't like you cause you're nice. probably just means shes not interested.

northface

you take care for self-confidence, charisma in public, humor and grade and others. Please don`t complain it!

salute

Satine

The problem may not simply be the fact that you're nice, I suspect it's something else. Each woman wants something different (just like every man, in fact). Some of us want a nice guy, some of us want someone more harsh. If 'harsh' just isn't you, there's no point in trying to be like that.

Remeber that there's a difference between being nice and being a pushover. I'll try to explain: my other half is lovely. He's definitely a 'nice' type. However, I'm often comforted to know that he can stand up for himself if need be, and doesn't need me to do the defending for him. In short, he looks like he can look after himself.

My first impression of him was that he was a nice guy. I liked that, but it wasn't anything particularly special on its own. I might not have taken any further interest in him if I hadn't got to know about his stronger side. This is what happened: he'd just been made redundant but, rather than being cut up about it, he developed a genuine joi de vivre (sp?); he'd been chugging along in a job he hadn't enjoyed and finally felt free to turn his life in a new direction. He was envigorated by this - and I got a strong impression of that from him. He looked every inch the survivor!

When he got a new job it was a rubbish one - packaging sports equipment in a warehouse. He didn't particularly enjoy it but tolerated it because we were planning to move in together by then and getting a proper job didn't seem worth it for the small amount of time he'd be living in that area. One of his colleagues was a tall, broad thug who was smug about the fact that he could beat anyone else in that warehouse up if he wanted to. And he delighted in telling others so.

Mike - my partner - tolerated the oaf's casual threats for a while. So I was incredibly surprised when my mild-mannered beau finally got fed up of this oaf, pinned him up against a wall and told him to 'get fucked'. The oaf was stunned, and never bothered him again.

Now, Mike is slim, mild-mannered and, to the casual observer, isn't one for a fight. In fact, his nickname in several of his previous jobs had been Smiler, for his nervous grin. But actually he's far more empowered than that when he has to be. And that's one of the things I love about him!

So it's not that no woman wants a nice guy - in fact, that's the other thing I love about him. He's gentle, sweet and considered. It's more that, for the woman who wants a nice guy, she wants someone who'll treat her kindly but will also defend himself, and her, if that's what must happen.

Mike is, at heart, a diplomat. In fact, we're having a bit of a problem at the moment and his diplomacy, for once, isn't working. We've increasingly had problems with Mike's parents over the last three years. They expect us to bend over backwards for them, but they won't do the same for us in return. I won't bore you with the details but Mike and I have both agreed with eachother that it's getting unacceptable. A couple of weeks ago we met his parents for a day trip and, at the end of the day, I got so fed up with his dad that I made a comment about something he's done in the past that annoyed me.

I don't do this if I haven't thought it through first - even if I get angry I've still got a very strong 'safety-catch' for having a go at others - but I did so on this occasion because I knew that Mike has been planning on raising several issues with his parents.

Since then we and his parents have phoned and emailed eachother about some of these issues, and Mike, who's worried about disagreeing with his parents, has aquiesced to their demands. In effect, as it currently is, he's apologised for my outburst, allowed his requests to fall by the wayside, and taken on board yet more demands from his parents.

I'm not pleased that he apologised for me and I've been doing my best to be as neutral as possible over the issue while encouraging him to speak up for himself. I've even said he doesn't have to raise any other issues relating to me, he just needs to defend himself to his parents.

He's worried about doing that and is gathering himself at the moment to write an email to them at the weekend. At the moment I feel like I'm sitting on my hands: this issue isn't over until he tells his parents what we both need and he's not done that. I don't want to be the bossy girlfriend to him so I'm trying not to do that, but at the same time I'm thinking, "come on, babe, don't leave me in the lurch like this!".

So you see, I hope this shows why a nice guy who defends himself is so important to a woman: if he wasn't the type to defend himself this whole issue would end here and I would look like the villain. It's threatening to, as his parents are the two people he's scared to argue with, but he needs to say something to them. This problem's not going to get better until he does.

I hope this helps illustrate my point.

Havocan

Most people will have a hard time struggling with their parents, but if it goes so far as apologising for other people's righteous comments then I'd talk to him about that if I were you.

Satine

Oh, I made it clear to him that I wasn't pleased that had happened, I'm just not blaming him directly.

EDIT: In fact, your comment proves my point. So Mike didn't stand up for himself - or me. Now, as we've got too much history for me to throw away, I need to put some effort now into convincing him to settle this with his parents properly. If we'd only just met and he apologised to his parents on my behalf I'd just think, 'oh, so he doesn't care that much about me then', and dissolve the relationship.

See?

JonnyD

no need to seminaries about it, its simple... its a excuse.

when somebody say, you're a nice guy or its not you its me , its the same as, "i don't fell anything like this for you"

Asphyxiatedragoon

Umm maybe because she thinks you are an asshole but aren't showing that side to her ? Or she doesn't feel comfortable or even trust you. I don't know actually. Maybe she feels like she isn't worth much because nice guys aren't confident enough say things or do what assholes do. A few nice guys liked me but I could tell that they weren't really interested in me. They were just wanting a girl friend, any girl maybe. Not really me. I don't like nice guys anymore because they make me feel like shit when they get all depressed or when they want something from me and get mad at me for not giving them what they want. They just want to put me down.. just thinking about the last guy who liked me makes me shudder.. One more thing that I noticed from that last nice guy who was too sweet .. he was just bored lol yep thats what they were.. bored. Yep.

ImNotMyIllness

.........maybe you're asking out the wrong girls. In a way you are, because the right girl (as in, right for you) will say YES.

Odo

Banned
Yes, it's a rejection. It's actually one of the most cliched rejections there is. But it doesn't mean that she thinks you're nice, or even that she's put much thought into it at all... it doesn't really mean anything other than 'not interested'.

Rejection isn't supposed to feel good, but it's part of life so you'd probably do a lot better if you just accepted that it happened and move on... chances are she wasn't as special as you think.

I used to get that. "you're a nice guy, BUT you(re) drink/party/too wild for me. So I started going to different towns to get girls cause they didn't know me there. Or just make counter accusations? You're a nice girl, BUT...

Kiwong

Upon reflection, I'm not really all that nice, I'm a bit of a mess, eccentric, I live like a hermit. I'd recommend girls saying no to me.