you don' t look damaged....

Scooter

Today I took my partner to an appt with a new Dr for his bipolar disorder and it went really well.
Until the Dr looked at me and said 'so you're bipolar as well?'
and I said 'no, I'm ..........and gave my list of dx's
the Dr looked at me and said 'are you sure? You don't look it'....

I dont look it???? Did my partner LOOK bipolar? Does any person LOOK depressed, or anxious or whatever?!!
I have x, y, and z PLUS social phobia and everytime someone says I dont look x or y I go back to that place where I'm a hypochondriac and there's really nothing wrong with me.

I'm angry with myself that one person who doesnt know me, who barely spoke to me, managed to rip the rug out in a matter of seconds with one thoughtless comment..

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I totally understand how frustrating it can be - however, I think it would be healthier to take it the good way and answer something like "well, good for me if it doesn't show :)" Because being frustrated about it won't change anything about if people think you really have all these disorders or not, and really, isn't it a very good thing for you, if it doesn't show?

nicole1

I think they look for the manic nervous type of person. My date said "we were eating and you were relaxed." Relaxed? I'm never relaxed when eating around others. It's when I'm my most anxious! So, yea, I get how someone can say we "don't look it." I do know that we feel it!

yeah, i think people who are truely Sa.. have that look or behavior. maybe he thinks you seem normal, or you was well-spoken and didnt felt you had SA symptom.

why are you mad?.. do you want to have problems in your life? ..
maybe you have temper issue... hope that makes you feel better to know you have at least 1 problem i can identify.

but you are mad at him, that he judge you from 1 look, but then you wont be mad at him, if he also judge you from 1 look and said you have Sa...