Y do so many ppl view a forum but never reply?

yay

It bothers me that so many ppl view a forum and never respond or even bother to give an advice. I mean, the least you could do is say 'something'...............
It's not very helpful >.<"

van_sp

I was going to post something similar. I joined this forum recently and thought it was a bit slow...glad someone else agrees.
Do some people with anxiety worry they might regret something they post?

Richey

yay! you need to remember that its a "social anxiety" forum and many people do read what you've written and may have a response in their head, perhaps your message or anyones message may not always relate to them....so they dont feel like they can give advice that hasnt already been mentioned

its perfectly logical to me, i mean all forums are the same anyway, and if your really after that sort of thing then a different forum may give you what your after.

i remember you saying that you've recovered from SA ...thats brilliant but maybe your newly found confidence might make you forget that there may also be some people that arnt at your recovered stage just yet.

most threads are responded to and for the ones that werent responded to....

its a site for people who struggle with being opinionated ....some may have a serious case of social phobia not just social anxiety.

if you get me?

TAMPA-BAY

I agree with Richey. This site is a home of shy people. We are all here because we're not the outgoing type.

yay

Come to think of it.....
I'm still a bit shy. So i'm not completely recovered.

Y

I think the answer is obvious , dont u think? This is a social phobia forum , you know...

Vincent

Banned
feedback

i agree,

I pour my guts out on this forum.... when I get little response, I find it hard not to take personally. Is it because I don't really phrase what I write as a question, instead its more a stream of consciousness? I wish more people would write a SOC too. Then I think that its perhaps I don't write on this forum as much. Its usually when Im feeling especially alienated or weakened from intense exposure.

If people are shy about contributing on this forum because of SA. Make it a goal to get beyond it. Because realistically, this is a step that needs to be taken before moving on.

Sometimes I feel that writing here and hitting "Submit" is like screaming into the black nights. There are too few snowflakes shaken from the heavens. Angels, wrest us who would cry with your beauty.

Y

Whats weird is that, this forum is one of the forums that has many topics but most have few replies, im following imdb forums and some gaming site forums too, well, they have the opposite, fewer topics, each getting at least 15 replies.

charlieHungerford

yay said:
It bothers me that so many ppl view a forum and never respond or even bother to give an advice. I mean, the least you could do is say 'something'...............

I agree it is demoralising when you write a long post, whether it is wanting advice or to talk about something that happened, or whether its wanting to find answers in overcoming SA and you write your thoughts and no one replies.

I don't think one should take it personally because I often read posts and if a post does not interest me or is something that I can't relate to, I will not reply, I will read more posts until I find a post that is interesting for what I am thinking about and have issues about and is something I want to discuss. I think the people who you want to discuss things with because they have thoughts on your topic will find your posts and reply and that is for the best because I know I have nothing of interest to write about on posts that do not interest me or that I can't relate to.

But what I would say is that I think if you read a post that you have thoughts on and does interest you, you really should try and respond because if that person who doesn't reply was to write a post they would want people to write if they had thoughts on it. In real life we are pretty much alone in terms of how we suffer, we don't have lots of people to discuss these issues we have with and we may be embarrassed discussing these things.

Its a very good point you make Yay.

Tryin

yay said:

well, for one thing it is because everyone on this site is shy. but then there is also the maximum-seven-posts-in-24-hours thing. that is such a nonsense!

charlieHungerford

Tryin said:
yay said:

well, for one thing it is because everyone on this site is shy. but then there is also the maximum-seven-posts-in-24-hours thing. that is such a nonsense!

That is a really good point. I have found that I have had to delete posts in order to write new posts to messages I really want to reply to. It does restrict the flow of discussion. I think this rule should be reconsidered, I mean I don't know why this rule is in place, maybe some heavy stuff went down before, but maybe even if the restrictions were 10 posts a day, that would make a big difference.

I like how this forum is moderated from what I have seen, it is so cool, no one seems to be playing a power trip, mods do not put a dampner on your posts and make you feel you are not allowed to argue your point back, people are treat like adults and you can just get on with posting. So I don't want to be critical of this restriction, I am just glad to be posting somewhere I feel happy to post and am somewhat respected. But easing the restriction would be great in a trial period?

WhiskeyJack

Im definetly one of the people that read alot of topics but dont reply too often. These topics do interest me but alot of the time i have nothing helpful to add.

I find myself agreeing with nearly all the posts or remembering times when i did something similar to the posted topic. But does sympathising or agreeing with a topic really help?

People find it easy to give advice about others problems, yet if that person was faced with the same situation, they are just as lost.

pinkputter

I definitely know what you mean! Some times if i have a question and start the topic, and like 40 people look at it, and only 2 reply, and the replies arent helpful, i get discouraged and wish i could know what those other people thought!

That part of not replying is REALLY aggirvating...

But I kinda know what WhiskyJack is saying. I dont always reply when I couldnt add anything else to the discussion...

But ive definitely seen people with legit questions, and no one responds even though they look at them, and I dont understand why.

I think we can all do a better job with looking for people with questions or that need advice, because if we're going thru the same thing, hopefully we'd all want to help each other!

Higolo

I find it makes me get very negative thoughts (when no one replies to my thread/s. Just the one then :lol: ).

Especially when i see other threads with less views than mine, but more replies.

van_sp

Most people would rather see posts that aren't so helpful, than none at all. Even if it's just "I agree", "I can relate", "I'm similar, but", "I disagree", etc, it's better than dead space. People like to be heard. And a response, any response, is the best way to demonstrate that.

Tryin said:
yay said:

There's a restriction on the number of posts that you can make in a day? 8O Maybe people are afraid to start posting for fear of running out :(

yay

OH HELL NO! >_<" ppl shy?! please jiggaboo !

There are some forums out there with 50 or more replies!
Being shy is not excuse >.>
If you're going to read a forum at least leave a nice little comment :D even if you don't relate. nvm, i'm just asking for too much.

ShiJai

It's not always as easy as some people think to answer a post. I read posts regularly, and often have thoughts I consider writing...
But then I get scared that maybe what I have to say is stupid, irrelevant, or just simply too embarrassing. It does no good to tell myself that others experience the same feelings and thoughts, it just doesn't feel possible.
But then, that's why I read the posts. The more I read, the more relaxed I begin to feel, and capable of contributing. The problem for everyone else it would seem however, is that this takes time, and is not something that disappears after just one experience, or even two, three, or four... :oops:
I'm very sorry for those who feel frustrated or lonely by low responses. I don't know what to say other than to ask for patience for those of us who struggle a little more than perhaps others.
My silence is my fear getting the better of me, not a judgment upon anyone else.

ShiJai. :?

Kinetik

I think there is a certain fear of looking like an idiot when posting something, which is often blown out of proportion in the mind of someone who has social anxiety. The other thing is that SA encompasses such a wide range of disorders that a single post will never ring true for everyone, maybe not even 20% of people who read it. I notice this is especially true for me in that I have very specific characteristics which mark my type of anxiety, and I figure the bulk of people here will not have these exact same problems.

van_sp

ShiJai said:
It's not always as easy as some people think to answer a post. I read posts regularly, and often have thoughts I consider writing...
But then I get scared that maybe what I have to say is stupid, irrelevant, or just simply too embarrassing.

Thx for explaining ShiJai, I guess I'm desensitized to posting in forums, I have done a LOT of it.
I think if you are a person who is ultra sensitive to what people think in this forum, this place could be good practice grounds to prep you for real world encounters.
If you are one of those people reading this right now, I hope it makes you feel better to hear me personally say, "I want to hear what you have to say...whether it helps me or not. I like your interaction in this forum. And every response is like opening a tiny present"