Would you attend this?

blackcap

I entered a couple of photos in a local 'Holiday Photo' competition recently, and although I didn't win they were chosen to be included in an exhibition at an art gallery.

I was invited to the opening night and thought about going, but declined. I imagined it would be a quiet affair with the selected photos on display but was quite relieved I didn't go when I saw the photos from that night:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/auckland_exhibition_opening_night/pool/

It looks like an event you'd see in the society pages! A lot of people accepted the invitation judging by the photos. I couldn't imagine myself being at something like that, I'd probably have freaked out and left as soon as I arrived!

I was even more relieved I didn't win the competition, as the winner was presented his prize that night and had to make a speech in front of all those people! I'm getting anxious just at the mere thought of that.

Anyway, I was just wondering how many of you here would attend something like this if you had the chance? And, if you won a competition (of any sort) and had to attend an event like this to collect your prize, would you do it?

NerdyGirl

I admit I probably wouldn't even enter the competition, so I admire you for doing that. Therefore, I wouldn't have an invitation. But if I had one, I would have declined it too. I'm sure it was a great party and all, but it's just nothing for me.

Predacon

I probably would have been nervous just entering. I would have to think long and hard about going to a prize giving, the ones at school made me nervous enough. It would probably depend how big the prize was and if I actually had to go to recieve it.

blackcap

NerdyGirl said:
I admit I probably wouldn't even enter the competition, so I admire you for doing that.

Entering was easy as I didn't even give a thought to what would happen if I won! For some reason I thought that in the unlikely event that I won, my prize would be sent to me and that was that. Only when I got the invite to the exhibition's opening night did I start to worry that maybe there will be a big fuss made, and at that point I started praying I wouldn't win! :roll:

From now on I will thinking carefully before entering any more competitions! :lol:

blackcap

Predacon said:
I probably would have been nervous just entering. I would have to think long and hard about going to a prize giving, the ones at school made me nervous enough. It would probably depend how big the prize was and if I actually had to go to recieve it.

Ironically the prize was something I didn't want - air tickets around the world. They would be awesome if I had someone to go with, but I don't so they'd be wasted (travelling alone sucks and no they were not transferable). I just entered to see if my photos were any good.

But yeah, if the prize was something I really wanted (like some camera gear or other expensive gadgets) then I would probably have endured the horrible evening in the event I won. However attending the evening just because one of my photos was on display was just not worth it!

blackcap

I think the thing that really got me down about this whole saga was how 'normal' people are prepared to meet a bunch of strangers in a social context without batting an eyelid. It just highlights how far removed from normality I am.... so depressing. :(

RedRibbons

blackcap said:
From now on I will thinking carefully before entering any more competitions! :lol:

Now... How are you supposed to get over social anxiety with an attitude like that? You have to push the boundaries of your comfort zone, if you ever want to feel the normalcy of a social life again.

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable going to an event like that on my own, but! I would go if I had someone to come with me! :)

Do you not realize that there are a lot of people who feel anxious about going to events like this? Yea, your case might be more extreme, but everyone suffers the same feelings, a little bit at least. You're not alone. Even the most confident looking person can be having a battle inside.

Argamemnon

blackcap said:
And, if you won a competition (of any sort) and had to attend an event like this to collect your prize, would you do it?
I wouldn't, unless it was a lot of money.

jus

i would go evan if there was no prize. By the end of it I would be proud of myself for going. And then when theres another event id hopefully feel less anxious about going.

like redribbins was saying, nothing is going to change by itsself, you goto make it happen :)

2Crowded

That would be very scarey for me as well...plus I don't have or look good in fancy dressy type clothing like those people were wearing. I would have felt way out of place at that event. I think it's possible I could survive it if I had someone with me that know's my problem.....but if I knew ahead of time that if I were to win I'd have to give a speech I most likely would not have competed of course.

Believe it or not I almost had a situation happen to me kind of like that one time. It was a miniature golf tournament..... I made myself do it because I realy did want to win & I knew I was fairly good at it & had a good shot at pulling out the win as the event was an invitational only event. Long story short I finished in 2nd place out of 25 local players only one shot behind the winner. I was nervous as heck the weeks leading up to it but I wanted to win it bad enough to go through with it....it would have been nerve racking if I had won, what with the being the center of attention & all but I know I could have gotten through it. It was one of my better experiences with a group setting... I think maybe because it was an outdoor event.

Zarrix

I wouldn't go, unless I was the recipient of a major prize. Even then, I would still feel severe anxiety.