would home school help?

jigglypuff

Throughout my whole life I have been dealing with social anxiety, I hate going to public school because 99.9% of the people that go there bother me. I have also had it with the teachers deducting points for not talking or participating in group activities. The teachers don't understand that I have a really bad social anxiety that gives me a lot of depression. They force me to go up to the class and I can't handle being up there I get really bad thoughts and I feel like crying when the whole class laughs at me for not speaking loud enough. My social anxiety keeps getting worst and so is my depression iv'e had enough dealing with teachers. Some days I don't even show up to class because of my anxiety. I feel uncomfortable being in a class full of people, my anxiety has gotten me in trouble many times before. I honestly want to go to home school where I only need to have a one on one conversation with a teacher. What I hate about my school is that the teachers don't understand I have social anxiety and that my thoughts get really intense when being in front of a class.

Flanscho

Doubt that home school would help. It would prevent you from ever making positive experiences, thus causing your SA to become worse and worse.

Worthless

I can understand where you're coming from jigglypuff, I felt the same way, though I didn't understand what was wrong with me at the time. I hated school from day one, which makes for a really dreary kindergartener, and I hated it all the way to graduation. It got so bad that I was staying home without telling anyone and contemplating suicide attempts. All this and I wasn't even bullied or disliked, I just couldn't stand the thought of being in school.
Are you seeking help for your SA? I was excused out of a lot of things thanks to my mother and my shrink at the time, who explained to the school officials what was going on. Another thing that saved me in high school was when I started to attend an Alternative School, which allowed me to work at my own pace.
I do think you should talk to your teachers and guidance counselor, but make sure you bring printouts that explain SA and pre write your problems in the classroom down on another sheet of paper. I get tongue tied when I have to speak to an adult (and I am one) so having it written down makes sure I don't forget what I'm needing to get across.

Slytherin88

I can understand where you're coming from jigglypuff, I felt the same way, though I didn't understand what was wrong with me at the time. I hated school from day one, which makes for a really dreary kindergartener, and I hated it all the way to graduation. It got so bad that I was staying home without telling anyone and contemplating suicide attempts. All this and I wasn't even bullied or disliked, I just couldn't stand the thought of being in school.
Are you seeking help for your SA? I was excused out of a lot of things thanks to my mother and my shrink at the time, who explained to the school officials what was going on. Another thing that saved me in high school was when I started to attend an Alternative School, which allowed me to work at my own pace.
I do think you should talk to your teachers and guidance counselor, but make sure you bring printouts that explain SA and pre write your problems in the classroom down on another sheet of paper. I get tongue tied when I have to speak to an adult (and I am one) so having it written down makes sure I don't forget what I'm needing to get across.
I agree, I'm a teacher and even in main stream schools there are so many options available. Staying at home will just make it worse, you'll become more secluded.

jaim38

Hi there! You're not alone. I was also bullied in different schools that I went to. I finally had enough, dropped out, and was lost for a while. Then I discovered online classes, which gave me a second chance at completing my degree. I took online classes and did very well in all of them, even enjoying my courses! This wouldn't have happen if I were still taking classes on campus where I didn't even enjoy my courses and feel like skipping. Anyways, I think you should give online classes a try, if your school district offers them. Some states offer online course completion. If you're in high school, you could try taking the GED and if you pass, you don't have to go back to high school anymore. I heard some celebrities like Vanessa Hudgens took the GED instead of completing high school. Alternative schools might also be a good choice. Good luck!

Odo

Banned
I'm going to go against the grain and say it might. I don't think there's a definite answer here because everyone is different.

My first reaction would be to say 'no, it will make things worse', but I've met homeschooled kids who had huge amounts of confidence and even though they were a little 'odd' (not that they weren't educated-- this guy was a LOT more academic-minded than a lot of the 'normal' people and also actually CARED about what he was learning as opposed to just doing it to party while getting a degree to get a job). He was a pretty solid guy-- a little awkward socially but not as bad as me.

I would also say that there's less chance of being ignored by your teachers (this happens A LOT, especially in huge classes... I know for a fact that the quiet ones are ignored in favor of the troublemakers and overachievers). Homeschooling is all about you, which is probably the best way to get an education... you can go at your own pace and you won't be distracted by your anxieties.

I guess there's always a chance that you'll get worse, but sometimes it's literally impossible to get worse and watching yourself constantly failing and slipping behind isn't going to help your self-esteem any. Getting away from it all could at least give you a chance to save your academic career... and you might find that you can be more confident without all of the extra worries and stress and bullying and social politics.

If I had more faith in the public education system I'd probably tell you to tough it out but seriously, I know what it's like and I would definitely look into homeschooling if it's affordable.

Last edited:

jigglypuff

Thanks everyone!:D
I think i'm going to talk to my counselor this year and tell her the reasons why iv'e been skipping class. If she is able to help then I will stick to public school hoping that my social anxiety could get a bit better rather than worst. Although if my counselor is not able to help me and if my anxiety/depression gets worst then I will start going to home school, because I honestly think the thoughts I get while being in public are going to end up killing me.

girlinthecorner

I think you should try to do homeschooling, but also maybe join a club or do volunteering or something to try to get out sometimes and socialize a little.
I had wanted to be home schooled so bad but was always told no (even though my own mom worked with home schooled kids). I'm still pretty angry about that. I don't feel that forcing me to go through that helped me at all. I think I would have done so much better being home schooled. I hated the kids and teachers there. I felt like it distracted me too much. I got horrible grades in high school, but when I started college and was able to take some online classes I started getting all A's and B's again.

Steelsoul

In my country most people go to school, so i doubt there are online classes. That's why i end up being at school. I can't tell which one is better but i know that you'll have more social oppotunities if you study at school.

It's up to you to make decision. Whatever you choose, don't regret it.