Work or Play???

I'm just wondering how others on here make choices/decisions about what to do in their spare time.

Do you always do things which you strongly feel-like doing, do you always stay in your "comfort zone", or do you use willpower a lot to get things done?

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Suprisingly difficult question to answer. I'm not sure I understand what you say about the comfort zone. You mean if we try to go out of our comfort zone in our hobbies or if we stay in our known territories?

I usually have a lot of options of things to do in my spare time, so I usually make a list. On the list are the things that I HAVE to do (cleaning, laundry, repairs, etc.), then the things I SHOULD do (work out, music practice, study, writing) then the things I would like to do to relax (painting, reading). If I have a whole day or more, I will usually try to go on an adventure (hiking etc.).

Actually I'm starting to realize my comfort zone got pretty large in terms of space and activities. Going outside of my comfort zone would imply trying to make friends and spend time with them, which I don't really feel the need to do right now.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Comfort zone, all the way.

Same here.

Though, I will push myself outside of my comfort zone if I think and feel that it will be worth it in the end. But, 9 times outta 10, it not. And my family tend to quite judgemental of me when I do something for myself. :thumbdown: So... :idontknow: Damned if ya do, damned if ye don't.

Also, instant gratification versus delayed gratification.
And habits.

I try for instant gratification whenever i can, and i stick strongly to habit-only activities.

kuurt

I stay in my comfort zone. I don't leave the house much. Partly because I don't have any friends and partly because I don't have anywhere to go. I live in a small town and there's nowhere to go except for stores and restaurants, and I hate shopping. I also use that as an excuse for not going anywhere, even if there was somewhere to go I probably wouldn't go because I'm not comfortable around people.

I watched a video on social anxiety on youtube and the guy said to start by going for walks outside everyday. I don't even feel comfortable doing that - it would make me feel very self-conscious. I would feel like everybody is watching me.

cappatown420

I watched a video on social anxiety on youtube and the guy said to start by going for walks outside everyday. I don't even feel comfortable doing that - it would make me feel very self-conscious. I would feel like everybody is watching me.

Do you have a dog that you could take for walks? Maybe having a companion to walk with won't make you feel as self-conscious.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Also, instant gratification versus delayed gratification.

For me, it's more delayed gratification. I don't know... I just feel I appreciate something more if I've had to wait to get it. Getting it instantly feels great, but that feeling only last a short while for me.

And habits.

I try for instant gratification whenever i can, and i stick strongly to habit-only activities.

^ I'm very much like this, in that I like my routine.
And don't like people coming in and messing it, or forcing change upon me without talking to me first. :thumbdown:

grapevine

I push myself too hard that I get sick lol. I put alot of pressure on myself to do things as its kinda a motivational addiction. Ill spend weeks doing lucky dips for kids at work. Bake for people, do my gardening and cleaning my partner's place. Then I put pressure on my own goals too and then find it hard to balance everything. Plus in between Im taking my mum shopping and being social with the partner. I find it so hard to do things with anxiety disorder because I work myself up to doing alot and getting it all done and trying to be perfect in eveyrthing and in control lol . Thats my spare time lol

Lionhearted

I know that I need to get most of my studies done first, so I always give that the priority. I really don't like it when I have to change a routine, especially my work out routine, but then again, I force myself to do stuff like that.

During weekends, I get more free-time, but working days just drain me, by the time night arrives. So I'd say I don't have much time, unless I don't have any projects or assignments from college. And I also used to play, but existential anxiety and thoughts about the future, usually take up my time quickly - and I just seem to think for so much time, that time just seems to run past!

I do have my comfort zone as well, and yes, I prefer to do things within it. I don't take much risks, and I do feel slightly guilty after losing a good opportunity. But it all vanishes after a good session of thinking - taking some time to think about a particular incident, and thinking of how one will deal with such a situation, can ease the anxiety. So I usually spent a lot of time without intending, to spend it just for thinking...