work and a corner

mostlyokay

Well, today was very average. I recently started a new job (this is my 4th week), which has not been going well but I suppose I'm getting paid, always a bonus. However our whole 'group' is moving to new office. Which is great because previously I was sitting on a chair by myself in the corner of the room (yes seriously... when I came there was no where to go so they just said to sit in the corner) and just today I've upgraded to a desk and a laptop in a small room with the boss.

But to the permanent move, the group decided to check out our new (permanent) office space today. The desks are in pairs. Everyone had already paired up except one person. On the way to the new office space he told me several times "there isn't enough room for two people" and another girl basically repeated the same thing to me. When I looked at the last desks there was plenty of room for two - two desks, two computers, two chairs already set up. Instead they said I could sit next to the boss, which I replied that I would prefer to sit next to a co-worker rather then the boss. After this the guy asked several others if he could change. All of this was done in front of me. When another co-worker saw my downcast look he just laughed and walked away.

I feel so sad. Sitting in the corner was bad enough but this is even worse, it was like they were all in on it. I feel like I'm a kid again rather then 26. I don't know why they don't like me, sure I'm quieter and don't always get my words out properly and yes some of the new work I'm struggling with but I'm trying my best. I don't know what to do?

I think when we move I'll just move in next to the boss no point going where I'm not wanted, I shouldn't have said anything in the first place. Still its so lonely. How do other people cope with no support at work?

goldatom

That indeed does sound like my childhood too. But we are grown up now and people being rude to us or laughing at us isn't supposed to hurt us. What hurts us is our own fear and stress. So don't worry about it - do your work, take your money, cooperate with others in the course of your work. That's it.

Lambie

What is it with people these days? Your co-workers sound like a right bunch of immature #####.
If I were you I'd just do my job and not acknowledge them until something better comes along, you could just 'make yourself at home' at this new desk where there is room for two people, and let your co-worker have a hissy fit about it (he/she will probably make more of a fool out of themselve for acting like a kid), just tell them if they don't like it, there's always room for them with the boss!:D

Niteowl

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry you have to put up with people like him. I agree with what Lambie suggested - let him throw his toys out of the pram a while and it will only make him look more childish. Unless he's immature enough to steal it, take something into work like a framed photograph to put on the desk. Let him know you've settled there. If he can't age up a little and deal with it, it's up to him to move.

Nanita

Oh no, that´s horrible... I feel bad for ya, I hope it will improve or that u will be able to just do your job and not let everything effect u too much.

lyricalliaisons

That is horrible. I definitely know the feeling, though. (Not with work, but other circumstances.) If I were you, I would probably tell a person higher in command. The boss, maybe, because that shouldn't be accepted. But I understand that you probably won't be comfortable doing that. I'm so sorry you're going through that.