Why is self-harm almost always associated with "emo?&qu

ktea

when you mention the word "self-harm" or 'cutting" why does almost everyone think of "emo?" Cos I recently asked a question about self-harm on Yahoo Answers and more than half of the answers were "they just want attention," or "they're sick freaks who need serious help." The meanest of all was "They're screwed up idiots who need mental help and/or seeking attention. I have no sympathy for them." How do you feel about this?

It's just a stereotype that people associate it with. Those people don't really understand the motives behind self-harm, so they just say whatever in response. However, it is true that some people who do cut/hurt themselves do it for attention, but most don't. People are stupid, and sometimes it's best just to not listen to what they have to say? What was the reason that you asked these questions about self-harm?

Lexmark

Yeah i used to think people who self harmed were just after attention until someone explained to me that some do it coz pain takes away there deppression and racing thoughts whcih i can understand.

VioletTears

I cut myself often as a teenager and still do so occasionally.

Trying to explain why is complicated, because really there are a lot of dynamics involved.

When I did my first cut I never even considered the fact that anyone would see it... I was just finding life to be too painful and overwhelming and wondered what it would be like to cut my wrist... So I tried cutting near but not on the vein, just to know what it was like. At that point I had never even heard of "cutting"...

But when my boyfriend found the cut and I discovered his reaction, I kept cutting and the purpose changed. It did become "for (his) attention" in a way... It became a way of communicating my overwhelming pain in ways that I just couldn't through words... Because talking about my pain was just so incredibly hard for me. But even though it was manipulative and attention seeking and even though it unfairly hurt him... what people don't get is how REAL the hurt was and how truly close to death I had come within my mind... I really felt like nobody (except my imediate family) cared if I lived or died and I was so incredibly lonely... Everyone who was judging me were surrounded by more love and attention than I ever had, even when I did cut... I had to fight for what they recieved naturally... I guess it was my way of screaming to be heard, of saying, someone help me, I don't want to die but I can't go on hurting like this...

But obviously I got more out of it than that, since I still do it at times, and now when I do, I don't tell anybody... It just helps a little with the anxiety... It takes all my abstract, uncontrolable pain and makes it more concrete and bearable, in a way... I can't quite explain it, I know it's not healthy, but neither is holding everything in...

But yes, there's a huge lack of understanding out there with almost every mental health issue, and unfortunately hearing those things just tends to make our issues worse.

recluse

It's not only ''emo's'' who cut. Cutters can be any age, race, class, nationality o'r even in high ranking jobs/positions, there is no ''type'' of person solely who cuts. I have cut myself on a few occasions, and the last time i did was a few months ago. I felt ashamed of the marks on my arm and it was a good job that the weather was cold when i did it so i could wear long sleeves, so i did not do it for attention at that occasion. The first time i did it was at the age of 15 when i was going through anorexia, and at that time i did want my parents to see how much i was hurting. At school it was embarassing because everyone would ask how i got the marks on my arm (obviously they knew i was harming) and the only lame excuse i could give that i had been playing with my cat!

I don't understaind why someone would cut themself, but other methods of self-harming are actually healthy in a way. Martial artists do it all the time. They break wood over their arms and legs because it hardens the bone over time. Other times they'll repeatedly hit something until it doesn't hurt anymore. I do stuff like that a lot.

Infected_Malignity

People who slit their wrists are the same as people who 'threaten' to kill themselves: There are better ways of getting attention! Trust me.

Also,
kidsee5.jpg

razor.jpg

Lea

Banned
People say they cut themselves because it takes away pain. That´s really strange, because cutting itself hurts (unless they are made from different material). But when I was in a hospital they were sticking needles in me and I realized it was actually quite pleasant.

Danfalc

Banned
Lea said:
People say they cut themselves because it takes away pain. That´s really strange, because cutting itself hurts (unless they are made from different material). But when I was in a hospital they were sticking needles in me and I realized it was actually quite pleasant.

Cos erm.. its a really hard thing to describe :lol: Obviously it does hurt when you cut... but for some people this helps them feel alive for a short period of time.Or feeling the pyhsical pain takes away from the internal pain.For others... its a way of realeasing anger and other built up emotions.When you cut the body actualy releases chemicals into the body... which do give you a bit of a high.Which is why it can become such an addictive coping mecanishm.

And the OP... yeah its just people stereotyping :? When i was younger (omg im getting old! 8O ) and it was just scallies/townies and "moshers" lol... there was this daft idea going round that if anyone cut themselves they were satin worshipers :? Just ignorance really. :( Sometime it is done for attenion.. not in the drama queen type of way.. but cos they honestly do need help and it is a cry for helpMore often tho people are really ashamed of it and will blame it on pets and accidents ect.And will do anything to hide it.

recluse

Infected_Malignity said:
People who slit their wrists are the same as people who 'threaten' to kill themselves: There are better ways of getting attention! Trust me.

Also,
kidsee5.jpg

razor.jpg

Yeah what a lot of people ralise is that cutting across your wrist will rarely cause death, o'r it just might take longer to die which suggests that most people do it for attention. That's what a first aid instructor told me.

I used to cut myself when I was younger...an indulgence I reserved only for the worst times. And I would always do it in places that wouldn't be visible or noticeable because I didn't want anyone to see.
I would do it for many reasons...because I had the desire to see a physical representation of my psychological feelings, because I wanted to punish myself, and sometimes just because, well, when a brain is so starved for an emotion other than sadness even a momentary endorphin boost is rather inviting.
I only cut a couple times, and I found it unsatisfying. Cutting for me was more uncomfortable than painful. Rather recently I burned myself, which unfortunately I found to be amazing. After you get past that first second when you feel that instinctive urge to jerk away, all you feel is pure sensation, and an unbelievable sense of control. I only wish it didn’t leave such ugly marks…and for that reason I’m really going to try to never do it again.
But honestly, pain is just an idea, isn't it? We believe pain is unpleasant because learned it was. There’s such a cultural stigma attached to this kind of behavior though…not just “emoness,” but the whole idea that to do this you have to be really disturbed. I definitely don’t think it’s the healthiest thing in the world and I DON’T recommend it, I just say, well…I don’t believe in writing of experiences as something bad just because that’s what I’ve been told they are. Pain is a sensation, and if we learned to appreciate it as such wouldn't that be an advantage?

Btw, first post!