Why is racism and bigotry seemingly accepted today?

TRRobin

I'm just curious because it seems to be the case...
Whether on TV, the internet, pub talk, you name it, there is always some open prejudice, and they do it like it's nothing. Like it's acceptable.

Am I missing something here?
Of course, I was brought up to believe this is NOT acceptable.
Having SP, you know even more so.

Anyone else having the same realisation?

Steppen-Wolf

I think this thread is more suited for the off topic section.

But anyway, I think racism was a whole lot more prevalent fifty years ago all over the world than what it is today.

There is also the issue of freedom of speech.

To be honest, I have the impression that particularly in Western Europe the rise of political correctness has actually strengthened the position of the extremists. For example, I've seen in several forums how everytime someone raises the issue of immigration that person is instantly labeled as a racist that should be silenced.

I don't think this is right in a democracy, for me it just gives the far right extremists the chance to call themselves victims and gain more support from moderate people. All issues need to be discussed openly in a democratic society and I believe all the hate mongers also have the right to express their views, as long as they don't break the law, incite violence or anything else that might cause actual harm to others.

WeirdyMcGee

ohhhh... really?

I guess I haven't seen much of it and I don't leave the house or watch television, so I haven't noticed, I suppose.
Although my brother will occasionally use a word for a person that could easily be a racist slur and I scold him for it.
Also-- generalizing 'gay people' and 'Jews' as specific stereotypes. I do hear that quite often and it always bothers me.
I always feel a twinge in my chest whenever I'm within earshot-- I'm too sensitive to pretend I don't care.

People are people no matter what colour they are- what language they speak or how they prefer to spend their winter break; it shouldn't matter.
I believe that it will slowly dissipate, though.
There was a survey done in kindergarten classes that showed that many of the children didn't distinguish different skin colours from their own.
^I think that is wonderful. My hope for the future is that racism and bigotry will be phased out... but knowing how imperfect and selfish human beings are, it may be an unreasonable thing for me to hope for.

Remus

Staff member
I think it's on the demise compared with when I was a child in the 70's and 80's. Good! :)
The policy of this world forum makes it unnaceptable, I like this rule introduced by the webmaster, I do not think it PC in the slightest.

It is? i think I'd disagree, if such a big deal is made about racist ideals of people high up, I don't think it's "accepted". Perhaps I've led a very sheltered life, but I haven't really encountered racism. Racism and bigotry in the form of satire obviously, but you don't take that seriously, so no, I wouldn't say racism and bigotry are "accepted"

Thelema

Never seen anything racist. The only time you hear is comedy, or cops beating up a black guy.

Maybe if I wasn't white I'd have seen some.

Thelema

Never seen anything racist. The only time you hear is comedy, or cops beating up a black guy.

Maybe if I wasn't white I'd have seen some.

I see more bigotry towards homosexuals than racism these days, but it's the same thing in my opinion. And I know most of the hate for gays stems from a certain 2000-year-old book...