why is making friends so difficult?

JamesSmith

I usually struggle with making new friends. In my case, I have a small group of guys that I've known since childhood that still live around here so if I want to meet up with someone I can call one of them up and find out where people are hanging out at. I'm lucky i have this to fall back on, because if i moved to a different city I would have to make a whole new set of friends and that would be extremely tough for me.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Like James I DO - or more used to now - have a small group of friends known since well, middle school. Two groups - Burned the bridge with the other - and barely keep my other bridge passable with the 2nd. That group tho I do spurts with I'll interact a lot then not for A WHILE. Meh.

School is only other place I make new "friends". Always ends up nothing. I realize I avoid - act awkward and don't open myself up. When I try to - it fails or I quickly retract. Simply put - I avoid anything that could lead to more. Probably come off with a negative, prude lol - just weird. Reserved, negative type energy. I mean that's how my internal monologue is always it never shuts off - so must come off that way.

hoddesdon

Like James I DO - or more used to now - have a small group of friends known since well, middle school. Two groups - Burned the bridge with the other - and barely keep my other bridge passable with the 2nd. That group tho I do spurts with I'll interact a lot then not for A WHILE. Meh.

School is only other place I make new "friends". Always ends up nothing. I realize I avoid - act awkward and don't open myself up. When I try to - it fails or I quickly retract. Simply put - I avoid anything that could lead to more. Probably come off with a negative, prude lol - just weird. Reserved, negative type energy. I mean that's how my internal monologue is always it never shuts off - so must come off that way.

So awkwardness is avoidance; interesting.

Cynic

when you are post 20's it can be very hard in that it sort of becomes a game and you are forced into a dog-eat-dog world of hierarchy, especially at work and also if you enter the social world of going to pubs etc,
people are more likely to be superficial and judgemental and gossipy. at work often people will suck-up to people higher up the chain/ladder and thus life can prove to be far more complicated.

when you are a kid making a friend can be very simple because it filters out all the garbage that you have to put up with when you interact with adults.
I reckon the superficiality starts in the teenage years in high school and gets progressively worse from there.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I have a hard time meeting people, in fact a couple months ago I started opening instead of closing at my job, best part is I dont have to meet and train new people. Ive been told meeting new people could be meeting new friends, I look at is as meeting possible dissapointments