Why cant I have fun - Possible Vent

So I guess this will turn out semi long, since I have to tell it as an event, sorry.

So here is what happened tonight: I was sitting around for the longest time, when the one friend I have on campus said some other friend he had invited him to the bar to hang out, he asked if I wanted to come.

In the end I went, no clue why, I know how it turns out. But I get ready and we head there. We get there and he finds hid friend, some girl form the major he is in in college. They start talking etc, I sit down. The most I was ever asked was my name. Other then that I sat there. I don't drink, at least not often at all, and I don't dance. Those seemed to be the two things happening. Of course he goes off and dances.

The sad part here is there was a girl at the table that asked my name and then was left with me when he went off dancing, I had the feeling she wanted me to ask her to dance or something, but that wasn't going to happen, just can't do the asking or the dancing. In the end she went up there and left me alone. I decided I should go and left.

I stopped at a subway, right before it was closing, some 20min that is, and got a sandwich, but I felt bad eating there since the guy wanted to leave, so I left with it. There was no where to sit of course, outside, so I went to my car, and sat and ate it. Then came here.

Now what the post is about.

This seems to happen to me often. I go somewhere, a place in which it is suppose to be fun. Yet no matter what, I start thinking it will be different and it always ends with me sitting alone or something, then just leaving when no one is looking.

Why can't I seem to enjoy myself at these things, have fun. Why am I always alone, even though I am surrounded by people?

Fighter86

I'm not sure what to say except that I feel for you, do you feel any anxiety when you are sitting there and not talking or just watching them talking? Or do you just sit there comfortably with no physical discomfort? Something similar like that happened to me some while back, not exactly the same scenario but I was asked to go somewhere where I didn't really know the group of people and they kind of just ignore me as well, I just zoned out and felt my face tensed up, not feeling comfortable, I had to make a quick escape in the end with the biggest massive headache ever for the entire weekend over the incident.

Ignace

I got that too ! It's always the same.. I don't go anymore trying to get better or having fun. I gave up a little more then a year ago. I guess it's a part of SA, or maybe it's just not my/your style.

Richey

regarding the dancing i know what that is like ..

i really don't like dancing for the sake of it, i dont mind if the songs are my cup of tea but i don't like beng forced to do it especailly when there are people watching ...

i end up thinking about how i look and everyone esle there ...

i think its a physical thing, if you are a natural dancer with a sculptured body then it doesn't matter what the occasion you'll be able to get up and dance somehow ..
it can also be an attitude thing but its really hard for certain people to do it, the hardest being at weddings where everyone has to get up and dance at the end of the night ..i remember getting up and dancing but after twenty minutes i pretended i was sick and ended up hiding in the bathroom until it was over...

i think alot of people are just super-confident when it comes to dancing and don't really understand when people arn't into it, i remember resisiting getting up out of my chair and some of the girls were turning their nose up and cussing at the people not dancing ...they were merely playing and being cheeky ...

but yeah i wouldn't worry about it, i wouldn't care if people didnt want to dance so i'd like to think other people think the same way but you do get the cheeky ones who like to make a big deal about others dancing...

perhaps practice in your own time a few moves you feel comfortable with just in case you ever need to get up and dance...

see the best times i've ever had dancing is when it didnt feel forced and i was dancing funny and not seriously when i was drunk enough to not be self conscious ...

sort of like these moves where its just silly:

YouTube - Unconventional Dance Moves

the problem can be not knowing what the hell to do if your put on the spot and you have to dance in public ..its alot different to being silly in your bedroom ..

i love the eager scholar and the hot potato
oh my goodness!!:D

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It could be that you don't enjoy that particular activity. Sometimes it's a matter of doing something that YOU find fun, instead of doing what everyone else does. Just because it's fun to them, it doesn't mean it has to be fun to you too. Everyone is different.

Ignace

It could be that you don't enjoy that particular activity. Sometimes it's a matter of doing something that YOU find fun, instead of doing what everyone else does. Just because it's fun to them, it doesn't mean it has to be fun to you too. Everyone is different.

Totally agree. We should think about this more often.:)