Why are you here?

PennyLane

I'm here because I was bored and lonely and seriously struggling to communicate comfortably with other people and while trying to find out more about why I was like this I cam across this site and found it helpful to hear stories from people who were in a similar situation. It also gives you the chance to get a lot off your chest which might not be said otherwise and also get some feed back to put your experiences in perspective.

On the other hand I worry that being on here means that you can hear quite depressing stuff, analyse yourself further and ultimately spend more time on the internet thinking about your miserable life hahaha

I'm very lonely at uni right now and other than study I have nothing to occupy my time...so I've decided to stay on the site and express as much as I can to learn about myself and others who are the same, then after uni im leaving and im going to give real life a huge big bloody push!

I think in the long term I want to avoid an online life...but this has been a beneficial site, which im grateful for.

PennyLane

I will have to disagree with you. I honestly think therapy is as useful as self-therapy, so why even bother go to someone else? I've tried it, and I think I wasted my time. Once you SERIOUSLY commit to change, you realize how original and effective your self-therapy can be. It's a matter of over-analyzing the situations and also write a lot of stuff down, sort of brainstorm and start building a plan from there. It's possible! You can do it! :)

I won't deny boards like these are also very useful, in fact, a lot more useful than a therapist... who is charging you by the way.

I went to a psychologist when I was younger and I felt like in the end I was whinging about even more stuff. I was finding more problems that weren't really problems and completely over analysing my life. I didn't like it at all.

I also I was never comfortable so I wasn't 100% honest.

My mum wants me to try again

PennyLane

lol, I'm too Social Phobic to even talk to a therapist. Seriously.

haha me too :)

I was reading on a website about SA and some government free therapy thing and at the end it said call for more info and to make an appointment.....I was like I can't call I have SA..which is exactly what your website is about hahaha:D

PennyLane

I dont get why you guys lie. If you really care about yourself and want the help, you must tell the truth. Are you embarrassed? Whatever you say they have heard before, why do you think SA is a known mental illness? Theres tons of peopel before you.

If you cant get over the shame, you will be held back by it. What makes you any different? Ite either you have SA or you dont, theres quite alot of folks who suffer from it. So really, its not as bad as you think. Dont let your ego get in your way, drop it and have an open mind and a willingness to change.

Unfortunately I think there is a stigma attached to anything related to mental health. I wish I didn't care about this but sometimes it just makes things harder.

Nearly 10 years ago in my teens I tried to kill myself and everyone from then on treated me so differently. I am now always (even after all these years) considered vulnerable and weak.....I am so far from the person I was then, despite still not being 100% but to my family Im still this girl who can't deal with things. Its infuriating!

Sometimes having people know simply means that you get pigeon holed and its that much harder to get out of when people keep putting you there.

In terms of the therapist....i just dont like talking to a stranger face to face about myself.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

Why are you here?

I'm here to remind myself that I'm not alone. I'm already isolated enough, but at least here I am just that little bit connected to the thoughts and feelings of another human being.
I didn't come here looking for recovery. I went to a mental health clinic and a recovery program, looking for recovery. This is just a support site.
Refusing/avoiding treatment of SA... sounds a little self-destructive to me.

"What world is this? What kingdom? What shores of what worlds?
It's a very big question you're faced with.
..How much will you indulge in your flaws? What are your flaws? Are they flaws?
Big questions... Big decisions...
"

slimjim119

I'm here because it gives me comfort having people to relate to. I know i'm not alone with this. I don't know any SA sufferers in the real world. This is the next best thing. But I will continue to look into support groups in my area.

Jake123

Banned
Well, here therapy and psychiatrists are completely useless because of Florida's Baker Act law. If you go to the doctor and tell them how you actually feel (i.e. not lie) they can and will involuntarily commit you until you're pressured to pretend you feel great. It's basically a "STFU about it, just hide your problems or you're going to be baker acted"
Why? Because it's cheaper and easier for them to get rid of patients that way. The baker act law is constantly abused and renders mental health services here useless. You can't do anything about it either, you're required by law to be observed for a minimum of 72 hours and more often than not they make you "stay for further treatment" against your will. Even if they release you after the 72 hours, you can be baker acted again at any time.

This results in a taciturn temperament where you will most likely avoid talking about the things that actually bother you that could help you if you talked about, because it's seen as a sign of not being normal and the "therapy" not working and thus you end up lying if it saves your ass.

PennyLane

Well, here therapy and psychiatrists are completely useless because of Florida's Baker Act law. If you go to the doctor and tell them how you actually feel (i.e. not lie) they can and will involuntarily commit you until you're pressured to pretend you feel great. It's basically a "STFU about it, just hide your problems or you're going to be baker acted"
Why? Because it's cheaper and easier for them to get rid of patients that way. The baker act law is constantly abused and renders mental health services here useless. You can't do anything about it either, you're required by law to be observed for a minimum of 72 hours and more often than not they make you "stay for further treatment" against your will. Even if they release you after the 72 hours, you can be baker acted again at any time.

This results in a taciturn temperament where you will most likely avoid talking about the things that actually bother you that could help you if you talked about, because it's seen as a sign of not being normal and the "therapy" not working and thus you end up lying if it saves your ass.

Thats terrifying!

dpr

I don't really know why I come here.

Part of me wants to try to get better, and thinks that if I try and do my Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and really work at it that I WILL get better, and thinks that my fear and dislike of most people is just negative brain programming brought on by negative thought distortions etc.

The other part of me wants to make an enduring community like you said, not just an online one, but a real-life one where all of us people who understand each other can hang out in our own little self-imposed "friend ghetto" and never have to try to talk to normal people ever again. This is also the part of me that thinks that maybe I don't dislike most people because of my negative thought patterns, but because most people are boring idiots who I have nothing in common with and never will. And the part of me that remembers that even in my "good days" of the past, I have always had a bit of SP with me, which makes me doubt that it is "negative programming." Maybe it is just part of who I am? That's a scary thought.

Cal

To be quite blunt, I just use this forum to vent negative thoughts/feelings when I feel the need to. It's nice that I've met such nice people though and have received great advice. :)

Overall, this is good for me... I can look back and reflect on my posts when needed, and it's so much easier than fitting appointments into my lifestyle with work and whatnot. I generally feel very content and comfortable anyway, and don't feel the need to talk about my issues. Then there are times when I really need to let everything out, but I cannot possibly predict when that time will be... this makes appointments for counselling (etc)incredibly hard to commit to.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, self therapy is the way for me, I can do it in my own time and at my own pace. Though I sometimes wish I had some sort of partner I could trust to keep me motivated and in line.

sabbath

Banned
I think SPW is like any website on the internet, people come here to learn and be entertained. But because this site is interactive, we can also teach, share, connect, gather, meet, etc. I don't think anyone enjoys having SAD and I think everyone would rather change into someone who doesn't have mental health problems. But it's easier said than done.

i think you should just find the right therapist because I like to talk but i don't like when they try and push pills on you every five seconds.

this_portrait

I'm here because, before I joined, I went through a major SA breakdown where I didn't want to talk to any of the people around me and just wanted to be left alone. I also felt as if I was the only one with problems. I then Googled 'social anxiety disorder forums' and SPW was the first one that came up. I joined, and after being on here for just a few days, I realized that I'm not the only one who suffers from SA, and that there are people with way more problems than I'll probably ever have.

So I guess my original reason for being here was to know that I'm not alone, and to get to know other social phobes like myself.