Why are people on social media sites overly happy?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
If someone is having a crisis. A last cry for help before they do something silly like suicide. Some people get to the point that the pain becomes so bad, that they will scream for help, so that anyone will listen. Often social media is a place this will happen.
I was really thinking about stuff that happens on a daily basis. I do know people who often voice minor complaints along with the rest of what they post.

No one on my friend list complains constantly, just as no one acts like they're always happy. Perhaps my experience is unique on the internet.

:idontknow:

Me, I rarely post much of anything actually. Mostly just pictures, or comments on other peoples' stuff.

S_Spartan: to the world at large, though? I don't know why the world at large (or a forum, or possibly even everyone on a friend-list) would care or see it as more than an annoyance, or noise. Especially if it's someone they don't know very well who complains often and/or drastically.

S_Spartan

I was really thinking about stuff that happens on a daily basis. I do know people who often voice minor complaints along with the rest of what they post.

No one on my friend list complains constantly, just as no one acts like they're always happy. Perhaps my experience is unique on the internet.

:idontknow:

Me, I rarely post much of anything actually. Mostly just pictures, or comments on other peoples' stuff.

S_Spartan: to the world at large, though? I don't know why the world at large (or a forum, or possibly even everyone on a friend-list) would care or see it as more than an annoyance, or noise. Especially if it's someone they don't know very well who complains often and/or drastically.

I think you are right. They would see it as noise. Which makes me wonder why people have such a low tolerance for negativity in social media but will watch the darkest and most negative shows and movies for entertainment. Anyone come up with a good guess for that one?

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I think you are right. They would see it as noise. Which makes me wonder why people have such a low tolerance for negativity in social media but will watch the darkest and most negative shows and movies for entertainment. Anyone come up with a good guess for that one?
Well there's a big difference in yet another stranger/acquaintance moping about how 'life sucks' and watching gruesome, brutal (though subtly glamorized and sexy) violence and tragedy on a screen which you're safely distant from.

It's kind of like how people say, "Hi, how are you?" The expected answer is always "good." Social media follows that expectation.
^Spot on Lexus.:)
Pictures etc posted on those websites seem to be a "highlight" reel of people's lives.
There is a huge stigma attached to posting a selfie of you sitting on the bathroom floor at 2 am with your face all swollen and red from crying for the past hour. It's not acceptable to post "behind closed doors" reality of life on those sites.

savagewisdom

I think people will burn out with this stuff at some point. I can even imagine the pendulum swinging the other way and discretion will become fashionable. I think many people are doing stuff these days just because they can.

I do see people on the opposite end of the spectrum who broadcast their frustrations, sadness, depression, etc...
So it's not entirely candy land.

I get annoyed when people complain about those who share their negative feelings. I think if anyone finds it annoying they should just stop following the person's content.

Kiwong

A big part of Facebook seems to be to rant about politics. Plenty of negative in those flame sessions. And of course bullying and trolling anyone that holds a different world view, which as in some circumstances led to suicide of the victims. Facebook and Twitter are anything but sweetness and light, it can be a dark world, where bullies feel braver behind a keyboard.

Last edited:

MikeyC

It's been mentioned, but social media sites usually convey the highlights of people's lives, or as a means to express strong opinions on something. However, I have seen some extreme negativity on there, too, so it's up to the user as to how they want to utilise it.

where bullies feel braver behind a keyboard.
I agree. If Facebook was around when I was in high school, it would have been much more worse than it already was!