When A Well Loved Celebrity Committs Suicide

theoutsider

Does it affect you in any way when I popular celebrity who suffers from depression seems to give up and end their life? Today, Robin Williams was found dead from an apparent suicide after years of battling dependency on drugs and alcohol (I think) as well as depression. I have seen the outpouring of sympathy and sorrow in the "normal" world. This kind of reminds me of when Curt Kobain killed himself. I know many here battle depression so I was wondering if this makes you more depressed or does it make you more determined to battle on. Or does it not affect you at all?

upndwn

The news of his death actually triggered a deep depression in me which I have yet to recover from. It is strange how people you have never met can feel so close to you because you have grown up seeing them in movies and reading about them.

THeCARS1979

He was friends with Johnathan Winters, his mentor who died about a year and a half prior for those who dont know he was a comedian of the 50s 60s and 70s, He was the driver of the van in its a Mad Mad Mad Mad world with Sid Ceasar and about 30 other actors in 1963, He and Robin Williams were really close and Robin Williams just took it really hard

ImNotMyIllness

I think this was something he thought about for years, if not decades. Having MS too probably was more than he could endure in the end. Why should he continue to suffer?!

May he finally rest in peace.

theoutsider

So, the suicide death of Anthony Bourdain today got me to thinking about this thread. I wonder if Kate Spade killing herself a few days earlier influenced him. I don't mean to say he got the idea from her. I mean I wonder if he'd been contemplating it off and on and the fact that she did it pushed him over the edge. I can almost picture him being a little envious of her for having gone thru with it. I can imagine him maybe saying something like, "I'm right there with you girl". It's sad that they both committed suicide and somehow even more sad that they both hanged themselves. I really liked that guy. He seemed to have the best job and a great show. Sigh...depression really s ucks.

hidwell

When celebrities kill themselves or die naturally I feel sad and a bit envious because their life (suffering is over).

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
So, the suicide death of Anthony Bourdain today got me to thinking about this thread. I wonder if Kate Spade killing herself a few days earlier influenced him. I don't mean to say he got the idea from her. I mean I wonder if he'd been contemplating it off and on and the fact that she did it pushed him over the edge. I can almost picture him being a little envious of her for having gone thru with it. I can imagine him maybe saying something like, "I'm right there with you girl". It's sad that they both committed suicide and somehow even more sad that they both hanged themselves. I really liked that guy. He seemed to have the best job and a great show. Sigh...depression really s ucks.

I think it's an idea that can be contagious in a way. In the same way someone you like or relate to likes a TV show that you decide to start watch, if someone you like or relate to kills themselves you may start to think about the ways you are like them, and then sometimes end up following the same path of thinking as they did (or you believe they did).

There's a youtube channel I like to watch, it's a collection of people who put on their own shows, and one of the people from their channel killed themselves earlier this month and they announced it a couple days ago. I had a rough day afterwards. He was a behind the scenes guy but a very big part of the channel, and I just listened to the face of the channel basically run through all the ways he was similar to me as he mourned his friend.

I am doing ok so I bounced back, but it wasn't hard to put myself in a scenario where I wasn't and I didn't.

LoyalXenite

I find it depends on who it was, some i feel like 'oh thats a shame they were so young' or something along those lines.. But if its someone I really like or admire I feel genuine sadness and grief for.. Robin Williams was one that hit me hard and I mourned like I'd known him personally.. I'd grown up on his movies and found great comfort when I was sick or sad in his movies. I genuinely mourned his death and still feel quite sad when I think about it.

Theres also a part of me that always thinks.. well if these guys lost their battle against mental health what chance do I have... But then again I've always been a little melodramatic