whats the problem with talking about suicide ?

Clown

This is a forum about socialphobia and naturally with that thoughts about suicide comes along with it, why can't there be talked about it while not encouraging it

MrJones

I talked with a lot of people about suicide in this site, no problem with it.

I talked about their situation, about mine, about their past issues with death, about mine...

I don't think it's bad to talk about things.

Remus

Staff member
Webhamster says we can't due to advertisers, I don't agree with that but there's nothing we can do.

Though it does take to mods a while to delete such posts. Funny that....

Though anyone encouraging it gets an instant perma ban.

KiaKaha

Banned
My thread titled 'is suicide selfish?' was deleted after a day or so. That was a bit annoying as I was enjoying reading the responses. I would of thought suicide was a relevant topic here seeing as some of us feel or have felt that way before.

Silatuyok

This forum doesn't seem nearly as stringent as others I've been on. I've been to forums where even mentioning suicide would get you in trouble, simply because they are afraid that talking about it will trigger some people into wanting to do it. And since suicide is seen as an evil thing in this society, even giving the semblance of condoning it or allowing it to be discussed is seen as a scary thing.
That's my take on it, anyway.

Kiwong

People saying that they are seriously contemplating taking their life, need help more than can be offered in forum posts. Topics talking about where to get help for those considering suicide might be helpful.

MrJones

Webhamster says we can't due to advertisers, I don't agree with that but there's nothing we can do.

Though it does take to mods a while to delete such posts. Funny that....

Though anyone encouraging it gets an instant perma ban.
Webhamster? XD

I didn't know we couldn't talk about this.

Anyway whenever I see someone with problems of this kind I always prefer to talk via PM or minimessenger to see if I can do something about it. It's a serious problem and I want to do it in privacy. Sometimes I even made friends while trying to help people who were suicidal :)

ERose

The forum would be a bit pointless if we were to hide our feelings wouldn't it?
I understand feelings can influence others to do things, but there are many people on here who are willing to help people, we all are.

Surely that's why were here in the first place, to express,understand and overcome our own feelings with the help of others who we relate to?

razzle dazzle rose

People saying that they are seriously contemplating taking their life, need help more than can be offered in forum posts. Topics talking about where to get help for those considering suicide might be helpful.

I was gonna say something along those lines. And also, no one here would want to provoke or maybe say the wrong thing with something so delicate. It can be a trigger to others as well.

I have been there myself. Attempted twice actually. I know it is a lot for others to deal with; I put my family through so much. I have used suicide hotlines in the past. I really do recommend them. They really do help.

National suicide hotlines in USA
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

and here is a website SuicideHotlines.com - When You Feel You Can't Go On -- Let Someone Know Your Pain.

awkwardamanda

Ok, I'm a little confused here.:confused: The Site Rules forum states the following:
3. Violations The following types of posts are not permitted:
-encouraging suicide and methods webmaster rule
My understanding is that we just can't encourage suicide. I don't see anything saying that we can't talk about it at all. Am I missing something here?

I think it's an important topic. The reality is that many people with mental health problems are suicidal and I don't think it should be the elephant in the room that no one says a word about. It would be nice if we could discuss the issue maturely. But, if it really is taboo to talk about here, this isn't the only mental health forum on the internet.

Could anyone clear this up for me, please?

Kiwong

I was gonna say something along those lines. And also, no one here would want to provoke or maybe say the wrong thing with something so delicate. It can be a trigger to others as well.

I have been there myself. Attempted twice actually. I know it is a lot for others to deal with; I put my family through so much. I have used suicide hotlines in the past. I really do recommend them. They really do help.

National suicide hotlines in USA
1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

and here is a website SuicideHotlines.com - When You Feel You Can't Go On -- Let Someone Know Your Pain.

Good idea Rose

And in Australia Lifeline 13 11 14

Beyond Blue

beyondblue: the national depression initiative