What's it like having social anxiety disorder?

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Its different for each individual, but there can be common symptoms that people will generally experience.
To get a thorough run down of what people usually go through, just Google social anxiety symptoms.
Its much easier to do that than for me to spend the next half hour compiling a list.

But I will say for me, SA manifested itself within me to the point Where it began destroying my life.
Funny thing is, I never even realized it was happening in the earlier stages. Looking back now, I can see what was happening.
I'll never be free of SA 100%. But the coping tools I've been taught have made it possible to look forward with some hope of eventually finding moments of happiness, contentment, and freedom from SA. ☺:)

theoutsider

I can't speak for others but for me the number one symptom is an irrational fear of certain social situations that you know deep down you shouldn't be nervous about yet feeling unable to stop yourself. The second part of your inquiry was what is it like. Well, let me tell ya. It's like living in a prison (built with the help of others but mostly maintained by yourself) where the harder you try to get out, the tougher it is to break free.

There's not a universal feeling or circumstances. But its like (for me) a dark cloud over your head and its very hard to escape from. There's just this intense fear when talking to anyone which leads to being mute. I just feel very uncomfortable around anyone and everyone, i sweet in social circumstances, my voice goes shaky and SP has just shot down any self esteem i had. *sigh*

slowmotiondaydream

i find that social phobia means that you hate the thought of someone sitting next to you in your car because you have anticipation you have to talk to them. ive started to car pool and i dread it everytime

Earthcircle

What are the symptoms of social anxiety disorder? And if you have it whats it like?

The what it's like part I will answer: it's like not behaving in agreement with your values. You value people, but your behavior doesn't show it. The discord between value and action is painful.

Stressball

It's like everyone you talk to has a gun to your head and everyone around you has a gun loaded and ready to shoot you too if you get too close.

It stops you from succeeding in society. In even the most basic requirements of daily life.
Like a disability, but it is not recognised as one by most of the population.

Sacrament

Stems from an irregularity in your thoughts and processes. Reality becomes blurred because it becomes mixed with paranoia and fear. Symptoms range from blushing/flushing, excessive sweating, feeling dizzy and overwhelmed, feeling as though people are randomly judging you, feeling extremely nervous and self-conscious, a triggered fight or flight response, and a strong desire to leave the situation that's causing those symptoms.

It's a lot of hard work, not only physically (because of all the symptoms) but mostly mentally, because the steps to improving your situation go from carefully analyzing your thoughts to successfuly rearranging the way your mind works and also forcing yourself to face the situations you fear while managing physical symptoms (or dealing with them) and fixing the cognitive distortions that caused those symptoms in the first place.

rockchick46

I can't speak for others but for me the number one symptom is an irrational fear of certain social situations that you know deep down you shouldn't be nervous about yet feeling unable to stop yourself. The second part of your inquiry was what is it like. Well, let me tell ya. It's like living in a prison (built with the help of others but mostly maintained by yourself) where the harder you try to get out, the tougher it is to break free.
That is the way I feel a lot of the times. As one minute I can go for a walk in the sun and the next I can't wait to get home and hide in my bed.

But I'm at home when the war in my mind starts up. I can't even go to the outside bin or the letter box. As I'm a prisoner of my own mind. [emoji33] [emoji25] [emoji27] [emoji32] [emoji46] [emoji33] [emoji25]

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk