What the f**k?

schist

So I started a new job not long ago, and one of my co-workers is acting rather weird for no apparent reason.

We worked together at the same bar for one shift, and had some casual conversation when things were quiet business-wise, but last Friday night I was in the cooler room getting drinks for the bar, and she walks in to get something. I say hi to her, and she just outright ignores me. I don't quite understand - I haven't acted creepy/weird around her, I come across as well-adjusted, and I know for sure that I never said/did anything mean to her. She talks to pretty much everyone else that works there.

The only time she ever says anything to me is when she wants something done (ie. kegs re-filled/bar re-stocked), and she gave me a casual pat on the back when she did this once.

I dunno, I have my suspicions about why, but I'd like to know what you people think it could be.

So I started a new job not long ago, and one of my co-workers is acting rather weird for no apparent reason.

We worked together at the same bar for one shift, and had some casual conversation when things were quiet business-wise, but last Friday night I was in the cooler room getting drinks for the bar, and she walks in to get something. I say hi to her, and she just outright ignores me. I don't quite understand - I haven't acted creepy/weird around her, I come across as well-adjusted, and I know for sure that I never said/did anything mean to her. She talks to pretty much everyone else that works there.

The only time she ever says anything to me is when she wants something done (ie. kegs re-filled/bar re-stocked), and she gave me a casual pat on the back when she did this once.

I dunno, I have my suspicions about why, but I'd like to know what you people think it could be.

Ultimately, it could be a million different things. It's definitely not worth your time to worry about why she's being rude. And you probably did nothing wrong in the first place. People have some strange reasons for acting weird sometimes.

If you really want to find out what's bothering her, you could take her aside and ask her really nicely in a comic way, "Hey, how come you're so cold to me!"

But you're probably better off not worrying about it and just ignoring her. :)

schist

Ultimately, it could be a million different things. It's definitely not worth your time to worry about why she's being rude. And you probably did nothing wrong in the first place. People have some strange reasons for acting weird sometimes.

If you really want to find out what's bothering her, you could take her aside and ask her really nicely in a comic way, "Hey, how come you're so cold to me!"

But you're probably better off not worrying about it and just ignoring her. :)

Eh. It's not gonna stop me from doing the right thing and continuing to be civil with her. She'll have to cave in eventually. ;)

Nanita

Maybe she´s social phobic :) ?! Okay maybe she´s totally not.
But the way I sometimes behave, because I´m nervous or feel sad, people must wonder why I´m rejecting them or acting rude..

schist

Maybe she´s social phobic :) ?! Okay maybe she´s totally not.
But the way I sometimes behave, because I´m nervous or feel sad, people must wonder why I´m rejecting them or acting rude..

Yeah, other people have said not to take it personally, but it's just straight-out disrespectful, especially if it's someone you work with. I always say hi back to people if they greet me, or at the very least nod to acknowledge their greeting. Either of these would've been acceptable.

Whatever - like I said, it isn't gonna stop me from keeping on being polite to her, but if this s**t continues, then I'm asking what's up.

schist

Resolved - I asked her if I'd done anything to upset her, and brought this up. She said she was "in her own little world" and didn't really mean to be so rude.

Whatever, it's the last I'll see of her for a few months (she's gone to Europe) so it's good that I got closure right away.

MsBuzzkillington

Are you sure she HEARD you? I have realized that sometimes people "ignore" me because they don't realize I have said something. Or they mishear me or they aren't even paying attention to anything going around them.

Also, if someone is social phobic, them ignoring your hello isn't rude, it's them being too scared to reply. I have been guilty of that in the past. Sometimes I can't even muster up enough "guts" to lift my head. I really wouldn't take it so personally. Don't automatically assume people are being rude. It's not always being rude. You have absolutely no idea what was going on with her at that time. You have absolutely no idea why she didn't reply.

Stop acting like she straight out disrespected you, because to be honest, she didn't.

schist

Are you sure she HEARD you? I have realized that sometimes people "ignore" me because they don't realize I have said something. Or they mishear me or they aren't even paying attention to anything going around them.

Also, if someone is social phobic, them ignoring your hello isn't rude, it's them being too scared to reply. I have been guilty of that in the past. Sometimes I can't even muster up enough "guts" to lift my head. I really wouldn't take it so personally. Don't automatically assume people are being rude. It's not always being rude. You have absolutely no idea what was going on with her at that time. You have absolutely no idea why she didn't reply.

Stop acting like she straight out disrespected you, because to be honest, she didn't.

Strike a nerve, did I? :rolleyes:

Did you even read my last post? I've already established that it was nothing personal and that she was distracted at the time. Do I need to make that any clearer?!

Kamen

Well, if she keeps treating you the same way, take a deep breath, go to her and ask again "why?", "is there a problem?", adding: "If we are colleagues and work together, I think that we should at least great each other - it's a part of elementary mutual respect that makes our days brighter and ensures better working environment. I think we all want that in the end, don't we?". But maybe this will blow her mind away and leave her speechless... :D

Last edited:

Tuukka40

Wow, epic fail..On thinking she ignored you then asking her why she ignored you.

My initial reaction after reading the first post was that she didn't hear you.

schist

Wow, epic fail..On thinking she ignored you then asking her why she ignored you.

My initial reaction after reading the first post was that she didn't hear you.

"Epic fail"? Do you feel witty now?

And yes, I did think she ignored me, seeing as we were both in the same room, and the only two people in it, and I greeted her audibly.