What tasks do you put off at work?

SilentAndShy

I've found in one of my professional jobs that ended in failure, something really simple as getting folders to put in newspapers cuttings became difficult. Reason why I think was that it was a very big office plan and being new in the job, I was hesitant to ask for where the folders were, or who to ask if we needed to buy them in. It got to the point when the cuttings were left on my desk and my manager, a few times, noticed this and picked up on it. I ended up leaving due to a multitude of other issues but I still struggle, in this job I've had for nearly two years, with some tasks. Mainly with asking people, whether that's through email/phone and I just try to leave it unless it's urgent and I force myself to do it.

I think I leave tasks which I don't know how to do it so rather than ask, I kinda leave it..

How about the rest of you? How do you overcome these tasks and thought processes?

Ransfordrowe

Hi.I feel self concious around the till at work in the resturant were I work so I might limit how often I go near the till due to feeling self concious

awkwardamanda

I'm hesitant too. I'm an office temp so I'm always at new places learning new jobs. That means asking a lot of questions. There are always people available to answer questions, but sometimes I hesitate before I ask anyway. If some issue comes up, I'll try to figure it out as much as I can first, and I'll go over it in mind before I ask for help. Also, I hate phones. And I get stuck doing reception a lot. It depends on the context, but it's usually making calls that makes me anxious, and not so much answering calls. So when I actually do have to make calls (and sometimes that includes calling other staff to ask questions), sometimes I'll hesitate a bit before I actually do it.

SilentAndShy

I'm hesitant too. I'm an office temp so I'm always at new places learning new jobs. That means asking a lot of questions. There are always people available to answer questions, but sometimes I hesitate before I ask anyway. If some issue comes up, I'll try to figure it out as much as I can first, and I'll go over it in mind before I ask for help. Also, I hate phones. And I get stuck doing reception a lot. It depends on the context, but it's usually making calls that makes me anxious, and not so much answering calls. So when I actually do have to make calls (and sometimes that includes calling other staff to ask questions), sometimes I'll hesitate a bit before I actually do it.

Exactly the same. When you're on reception, do you have other work colleagues around you? And if so, are you aware of them which affects you? It definitely does for me.

awkwardamanda

Exactly the same. When you're on reception, do you have other work colleagues around you? And if so, are you aware of them which affects you? It definitely does for me.

It depends because every office is set up different. Sometimes there are people in plain view and other times I'm kind of alone. I can get a little self-conscious and worry about what people are thinking when they hear me. I worked at one place where I shared a cubicle with someone and I preferred to put off making calls until she was away from her desk. But then I did reception at another place that was crazy busy and other staff who were nearby often came up to help when it was too much for one person. I had to call a cab company multiple times a day to book rides for clients and I had no issue making those calls when other people were around. The clients there were often rude and demanding and some were just screwed up. I honestly do not know how I handled that job. When I'm in between jobs I can get a little anxious anticipating calls from recruiters. And then sometimes I miss calls and I might put off calling back for a bit.

I suppose I'll add to my earlier post. I tend to be a procrastinator in general but I find it easier to stay focused at work, whereas if I have chores or whatever to do at home I'm more likely to put it off and be lazy. I could never work from home.

I actually just put off job searching overall way too long. I finished university and then got stuck in retail for another 3 years because I couldn't bring myself to apply for jobs. Partly because I got discouraged by ads that all wanted experience. Partly because I dreaded interviews. More so because my only potential references were at that retail job. Even if it's clear you just finished school, you can't really just say to your supervisor, "Hey, I'm looking for a new job. Can you give me a reference." I probably should have just sent out applications and worried about that once it got to the reference stage, but I felt stuck. That store ended up closing which was the kick in the *** I needed. Since we were all getting laid off it was okay to ask for references. So when I did start putting more effort into job hunting, it was hell. Scouring through ads was tedious and frustrating, but I didn't really put that part off. Trying to write and rewrite my resume, write cover letters, and actually send out the applications was the hard part. I'm a perfectionist and it was never really good enough. I would stare at the computer screen and not know how I should reword things. Then I'd make small tweaks and slowly come up with something half decent. I'm a night owl so I was often much more productive late at night. I didn't intentionally put this stuff off. But I ended up wasting a lot of time and then suddenly I'd get on a roll late at night (like, 2-3 AM) and I could think clearer and write better. Because of that I ended up taking too long to apply for some jobs and not applying for as many as I wanted to. I also got caught in the vicious cycle of getting depressed about job searching and then having difficulty job searching because I was depressed about it. I was unmotivated and just procrastinated more. After about two years I finally had this agency interested in me. Ironically, they asked for references and then never called them.:kickingmyself: It's been going well anyway.

I love making to do lists and I recommend that to anyone. I do it at work and at home. Maybe it's best to deal with the easy stuff first. Maybe the more urgent stuff. At least that way you can see what all needs to get done. I just find it very satisfying when I can cross a task off a list.

SilentAndShy

^Definitely agree on the to do lists. I used to have mine on a scrap piece of paper but I've got an electronic one which I find useful and it's great to see the colour green (denoting a task has been completed!)